In the market for cans ~$200, please aid me.
Mar 17, 2007 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

jsedgwick

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

I ready to spend around 200 bucks, and no more than 300, on a set of nice headphones. However, this is my first dabble in audiophile-centric 'phones, so I'd like some help from the best. Here are my criteria and other things to help you help me:

- COMFY over HOURS LONG listening sessions, probably circumaural

- Used only plugged into iPod/laptop

- Not portable exactly, but durable, i.e. can withstand the pressures of mobility. I know I can only get so portable with circumaural, so just forget that. DURABLE.

- Good without an amp, because of the iPod use. Unless there's a convenient ultraportable amp I could get, which I kinda doubt. It'd be preferable if I just didn't have to worry about that.

- Music I listen to: Mostly rock, but jazz/classical too. e.g. Led Zep, Floyd, Tool, CCR, Bach, RHCP, Stones, and wayyyy more (~4500 songs)

- As for open vs. closed, I don't know at what volume open cans are bothersome to nearby people, please let me know how worried about tis I'd be with a given set of open phones.

So, please, as the reputable gurus, make some recommendations for me. If you need any clarification on my requirements or need additional information, just post. You can bet I'll have my eyes locked on this thread.

Thanks.
-JS

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 42
Hi JS,welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet,I would recommend a couple of good candidates.My number one choice would be a pair of Sennheiser HD-25-1.Its a $200.00 hp that is closed ,durable,performs nicely out of the i-pod,and has a strong following for its great sound.Secondly,if your not going to be rough with the hps try a Grado SR-60,great for rock and everything else,open design,maybe a liitle fragile though...leak alot of sound,$70.00.Grado is not for eveyone,but if you have the oppurtunity to try them,do so.Lastly AKG k81DJ,closed,durable,bassy,some people love them($70.00)

Good luck....PS (if it was me,I might seriously look at the HD-25)
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 42
A900s sound right up your alley.....not exactly extremely portable, but they're definitely tough headphones. I use them for travelling (both by car and air) and they are just fantastic. They don't need an amp, but they do benefit from nice, clean sources. Consider rockboxing your iPod?
tongue.gif

These things also bring out all the imperfections in compressed music, so beware!
tongue.gif
I've started re-ripping ALL of my music in lossless .flac and it sounds amazing!
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi JS,welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet,I would recommend a couple of good candidates.My number one choice would be a pair of Sennheiser HD-25-1.

x2 HD25-1...I really really liked their sound.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A900 or HD595 seem like good choices. You should research them.

I'm seriously interested in the 595s now, and I think I want to just buy before I drive myself crazy deliberating. I want to clear a couple things first - will these phones get on others' nerves at moderate volumes? I'm assuming I can survive ampless for a while at home, and permanently with the ipod. Also, will these fold flat? Lastly, best place to buy 'em?

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsedgwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about HD595s? Obviously not too prtable, but driveable/durable? Too leaky/open? And obviously, for the music I listen to?

I recently posted my impressions of the difference between Grado SR80s and Hd595s unamped out of an ipod, which you can read here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&highlight=595

I found the 595s to be much better all-rounders, and while some people claim they need an amp, I found them to sound great without one. They are very comfortable, and I find them to be less leaky than Grados. For durability, I don't know. They feel a little flimsy, and I wouldn't throw them into a bag unless they were in their original box.

As for your music, I think they will sound great. I think Grados are better for genuine heavy metal, especially speed metal and its variants. The 595s sound good with most everything else (and maybe good with metal too, though I don't listen to it). The only thing they sound bad with to me is anything recorded in mono, because the lack of a soundstage is just sad.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsedgwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, will these fold flat? Lastly, best place to buy 'em?

Will not fold flat.

I bought mine at HeadRoom, because of their 30-day money back guarantee. And because I like to support small businesses. But I think they're cheaper at Amazon.

Mar 18, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey mcmyers, good to see another Twin Cities Head-Fier.

Our ears haven't frozen off yet, I guess (especially since global warming started).

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently posted my impressions of the difference between Grado SR80s and Hd595s unamped out of an ipod, which you can read here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&highlight=595

I found the 595s to be much better all-rounders, and while some people claim they need an amp, I found them to sound great without one. They are very comfortable, and I find them to be less leaky than Grados. For durability, I don't know. They feel a little flimsy, and I wouldn't throw them into a bag unless they were in their original box.

They'll probably get a lot of wear and tear like my bose triports, wich survived for two years. How will these hold up? I guess I'm between the A900 and HD595, or open vs closed. Again, just how bad is leakage on 595s. Example: Halfway volume on ipod, how well could others hear?

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 42
Aw, but what about Audio Technica's open cans? Snufkin in that review I posted earlier reckoned the AD700 were as good or better than the HD595, and in your price range you could almost fit the AD900 which are better yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back