In The Court of the Crimson King; Questions-
Feb 13, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 49
And then there is this commentary from an Amazon purchaser that feels the pricey Japanese import is best of all........hmmm.........

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

The best issue of this classic I have heard!!!!, July 5, 2006
Reviewer: Stanley Post (MD USA) - See all my reviews

First, a brief history. I first heard this record when it came out in 1969 and it completely blew me away with its originality and craftsmanship. I still have the first Atlantic vinyl pressing, so, needless to say, I KNOW every nuance of this recording.
Court of The Crimson King was without question a very daring and innovative work in 1969. No one had ever heard anything quite like them. To this day, I consider it a masterpiece of modern art.
If you love this recording as much as I do, you owe it to yourself to buy the JVC Japan re-issue. Yes, I know it costs 40 something bucks, but take my word for it; this version sounds much better then the HDCD "Original Master Edition" or the Caroline "30th Anniversary Edition".
With all that said, keep in mind that this is a 1969 pop music recording. It has (like most records of the day) a limited dynamic frequency range compared to state of the art recordings of today. The JVC edition of King Crimson's first album is THE very best you will hear. Dim the lights, put yourself in a good pair of headphones, and take a wonderful ride. This is as good as it gets.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then there is this commentary from an Amazon purchaser that feels the pricey Japanese import is best of all........hmmm.........

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

The best issue of this classic I have heard!!!!, July 5, 2006
Reviewer: Stanley Post (MD USA) - See all my reviews

First, a brief history. I first heard this record when it came out in 1969 and it completely blew me away with its originality and craftsmanship. I still have the first Atlantic vinyl pressing, so, needless to say, I KNOW every nuance of this recording.
Court of The Crimson King was without question a very daring and innovative work in 1969. No one had ever heard anything quite like them. To this day, I consider it a masterpiece of modern art.
If you love this recording as much as I do, you owe it to yourself to buy the JVC Japan re-issue. Yes, I know it costs 40 something bucks, but take my word for it; this version sounds much better then the HDCD "Original Master Edition" or the Caroline "30th Anniversary Edition".
With all that said, keep in mind that this is a 1969 pop music recording. It has (like most records of the day) a limited dynamic frequency range compared to state of the art recordings of today. The JVC edition of King Crimson's first album is THE very best you will hear. Dim the lights, put yourself in a good pair of headphones, and take a wonderful ride. This is as good as it gets.

OK, I'm game. Overstock.com had it for $29, so we'll see. I've been listening to this album since the early 70's, and it is probably my favorite album of all time. When the Original Master Edition came out I was hugely impressed. We'll see how this JVC import measures up once I get it.

A_Sr.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #18 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I'm game. Overstock.com had it for $29, so we'll see. I've been listening to this album since the early 70's, and it is probably my favorite album of all time. When the Original Master Edition came out I was hugely impressed. We'll see how this JVC import measures up once I get it.

A_Sr.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. It may be also be my favorite album of all time.

JC

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #19 of 49
there are some really good versions of this masterpiece of progressive rock on vinyl, including half speed masters an there's an mfsl version too. these aren't the easiest too find or the cheapest but they'd be a great listen! that said i'd like to hear about how the jvc seedie version stacks up against other versions of this recording. is this an xrcd?

Feb 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, Jimmy Page personally mastered the Led Zeppelin albums to CD, and we know how that worked out...

I have the 21st Century Condensed Guide compilation, and have since gotten the 30th Anniv of ITCOTCK, Larks' Tongues, and Red. Good music, man. Is the Original Master Edition of ITCOTCK really that much better?

Also, if I could ask: I'm trying to get into King Crimson live. At the local B&N, the two 90s live shows B'Boom and Vroom Vroom. Which one of these should I pick? Or should I even start at this point?

Here's what I would do instead of starting with the 90s shows (of which VROOOM VROOOM is definitely the better one):

Of the studio albums you like, if you like ITCOTCK the best, get the 2-disc live set Epitaph from the 1969 tour. IMHO the versions of some of the songs on there (especially "Epitaph") blow away the studio cuts.

On the other hand, if you prefer Red and Larks' Tongues (I do), you should definitely get USA, probably the best single-disc live KC out there, and if you're feeling friskier, plunk down the cash for the 4-disc Great Deceiver, which is my favorite single KC release ever. Amazing stuff - lots of improv, so if you like that side of the band you're in for a treat. Also from this period, the 2-disc Night Watch is very good too.

And then there's all the King Crimson Collector's Club releases.... they're not kidding when they say this band is best experienced live.

Since I'm a big KC fanboy, a bunch of their albums are reviewed in the website in my sig, here: http://tinyurl.com/2zhawp

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 49
21st Century Schizoid Man
cool.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, was just listening to Moonchild...I love jam sessions and/or prog signatures and extended soungs but what with 2nd half of this track? Sounds like a couple of guys just occasionally plucking away at their instruments. No real discernable meldoy here especially considering the first half of the song sounds beautiful on the first listen. Im sure I have to give it another couple of listens...

[OPINION=GlendaleViper]Nope. One listen is enough. Enjoy the first four minutes, then skip to the last track. This isn't the last time KC does an ambient piece (far from it), but this first effort is completely devoid of any musicality and is basically just a collection of sporadic noises, ruining an otherwise beautiful song.[/OPINION]

[EDIT] And by the way, my personal opinion is that you should get into Crimson chromologically. It's done me well. Later albums I really couldn't get into before hearing the preceding works (Starless and Bible Black, especially) ended up as my favourites after I acclimatized to their progression. Aside from ITC0CK and ITWOP, each album is night-and-day to the next.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #23 of 49
It's strange. All these posts caused me to pull out ITCOTCK (Original Master) and I've actually been listening to all of Moonchild - I usually skip the "noodling" section too. But tonight I left it go, and it was strangely intriguing - almost calming. After a crappy day at work and a drive home through the Chicago blizzard, it was quite nice to hear!

A_Sr.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 49
It's very very very very very unlikely the Japan LP style remaster is any different from any other existing copy available domestically. Most of the mini-LPs are just re-hashes of currently existing remasters.

There is only one remaster that is from the original master tapes and that's the Original Master Edition, and that's the one you want. The Japan mini-LP may be derrived from the same mastering as the Original Master Edition, but that just means you spent $30 to get something in inferior cardboard packaging that would cost you $14 to get domestically.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #25 of 49
To the poster asking about live Crimson. Vroom Vroom is by far the better of the two you listed. As another poster said, go for any of the "official" Crimson live releases (not their Collectors Club stuff, the sound quality can be spotty).

Somewhat short list of Crimson live albums that are worth seeking out.

Epitaph
Ladies of the Road (the full disc "21st Century Schizoid Man" is truly awesome).
The Nightwatch
The Great Deceiver (Not sure if this is still out of print at DGM, I got mine off Half.com. TONS of good improvs on here.)
USA
Absent Lovers
Vroom Vroom
Projekcts
Eyes Wide Open DVD (I sincerely wish there had been a "Frakctured" on this set though. When I saw them live in 2001 the crowd was too unruly to warrant a performance of that piece from Master Fripp & Co.)

Also the Sid Smith book (In the Court of King Crimson) is worth a read for lots of cool info to help digest the historical live recordings out there. Much of Starless & Bible Black was culled from live performances and his book will point out which concerts made up the album.

Feb 13, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's very very very very very unlikely the Japan LP style remaster is any different from any other existing copy available domestically. Most of the mini-LPs are just re-hashes of currently existing remasters.

There is only one remaster that is from the original master tapes and that's the Original Master Edition, and that's the one you want. The Japan mini-LP may be derrived from the same mastering as the Original Master Edition, but that just means you spent $30 to get something in inferior cardboard packaging that would cost you $14 to get domestically.

I expect you are 100% correct, but considering I've thrown $30 away on worse things, it's not too big a deal. I'll take one for the team and can at least quash the rumors the next time they roll around.
biggrin.gif

A_Sr.

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #27 of 49
Well, if it says "remastered by Simon Heyworth" you've got the Original master Edition. problem is, most of those mini-LPs don't have a mastering credit...

Either way, let us know...

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 49
i just ordered the OME from overstock.com for $13.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 49
I will second the recommendation for the live album, "Absent Lovers". This is a 2 disc set of their 80s material featuring the Belew, Fripp, Levin, Bruford lineup. It is one of the best live albums I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back