In Search of the Portable Miracle
Nov 27, 2007 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Skrying

100+ Head-Fier
My audio needs are going to be changing greatly soon, and therefore its time to rethink my audio setup.

What I'm in search for is a headphone that has the following qualities:

- Reasonable size. I'm going to be using these for walking places, commuting, etc. Not only for looks but simply out of convenience I need something that I can easily, and safely, stow away in a backpack.

- Basic noise canceling. Not much though, basically I want the outside world sounds blocked but if someone says hi I want to be able to hear them.

- Comfort. Going to be using these a lot, I don't mind on top of the ear, and that might be my only choice (I have large ears). I also don't mind IEMs as far as the comfort aspect goes.

- Will also be used at a computer that pulls both gaming, music, and TV/movie functions. I'm not massively demanding on games and TV, I also realize that some superior headphones/IEMs might be a bit reveling of a bad source, I've lived with it before and I'm fine with that again.

- I listen to a massive range of music so I can't really nail down a genre or style I like. Anything from richly layered to just the basics.

- Price. I would like to stick below $200. I'm willing to go to $250, but only if there is a step up that is seriously worth it. Nothing over $250, that is my absolute limit.

In the end I just need a great all around headphone. Something that's portable but also functional outside of that. Something of reasonable (compact) size, and within my budget.

Thanks in advance with any suggestions!

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 12
I love the im716's for just about everything.

As far as the other IEM's go - I liked the shure 310 better than anything else in the new lineup (even the 500's - by a lot). Mostly due to sound sig I think is the difference.

The Audio Technica noise canceling sets have good reviews online and would not be a bad choice.

Nov 27, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi's are usually the first thing that goes with isolation... (although not with noise canceling).

The only noise canceling is the above mentioned Audio-Technica ANC7 that is worth looking at. If you do not commute in anything like a subway, then your isolation needs should not be ridiculous, in which case you could just look at a closed can like Sennheiser HD-25 or Audio Technica ES7, or Equation Audio RP-21 or 22x.

Nov 27, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 12
Dec 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Super Fi.5 EB. They're kinda big though. Otherwise Sony EX52's - they're actually really good and they're like $50.

I would recommend the super.fi 5 pro. They still have decent bass, are smaller, have noticeably better quality sound overall, and for a wide range of music you will not have any frequencies overcome by the bass. Very musical little phones from my experience.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 12
How about UE 2Fi's...even cheaper...plenty of bass..

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tottiflames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about UE 2Fi's...even cheaper...plenty of bass..

are you talking about the metro or is that a joke? I laughed pretty good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 12
If it were me, and I wanted a great,poratable,with good isolation, durable, home computer use hp that I was going to throw in the knapsack and not have to worry about. With a cool "old skool" look.

I would look no further than the HD-25-1 @ $200.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 12
definitely go with the hd-25's. they are perfect for what you say you need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back