In search of portable headphone amp/DAC under $100
Mar 2, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #31 of 39
This is where the E9 came in:

Quote:
Or maybe I will just have to save up and get the E7/ E9 combo for my laptop and then use the E7 solo with my iPhone.

Personally, I don't expect much difference between E10 + E11 vs a single E17, and I believe the E17 has an edge because it has more EQ control and can take SPDIF input. Given the chance, I'd get an E17 myself, but its availability has been iffy, and production doesn't look like it'll catch up with demands any time soon, plus it looks to me like the OP only needs an amp right now.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #32 of 39

Quote:
This is where the E9 came in:

Personally, I don't expect much difference between E10 + E11 vs a single E17, and I believe the E17 has an edge because it has more EQ control and can take SPDIF input. Given the chance, I'd get an E17 myself, but its availability has been iffy, and production doesn't look like it'll catch up with demands any time soon, plus it looks to me like the OP only needs an amp right now.

^same. yeah he only seems that way too

i wouldn't say it's iffy. i would say it's more from overseeas retailers bad claims. micca and american retailers had no faults. FiiO as we can read form AgentXXL's postings on the thread. have done their job..and has done it well. you know each E17 is hand assembled right?

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #33 of 39
On a more personal note, since I got an E10 to toy with today, I can definitely say that E17 with more EQ option would fare a lot better. In fact, for my MacBook Pro and iPod use, I'm starting to think that just E11 as amp would be enough.

For some reason, the E10 didn't really improve all that much on my MacBook Pro's built-in headphone out, and in fact, it did worse with some songs.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #34 of 39

Quote:
On a more personal note, since I got an E10 to toy with today, I can definitely say that E17 with more EQ option would fare a lot better. In fact, for my MacBook Pro and iPod use, I'm starting to think that just E11 as amp would be enough.

For some reason, the E10 didn't really improve all that much on my MacBook Pro's built-in headphone out, and in fact, it did worse with some songs.

the MBP already uses a good Cirrus Logic DAC and a good powered amp. Wolfson and Cirrus Logic has some differences. however i largely prefer the Wolfson's....worse?? hmm it may take a bit longer. most recommend at least a month before making comments that could be very misleading to someone that searched this thread

toys haha. i have the capitol and money for those toys.. but it's mainly for a computer rig update fund which includes a new GPU,keyboard ...etc

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #35 of 39
Well, I took about 10 hours or so with the E10 yesterday before concluding that. The E10 compared to my MBP's output sounds more congested, less open, and high frequencies are not as extending. It sounded a tad on the warm side and it's a bit muddy, which... is definitely not my type of sound. I like open, clean, and crystal clear. Basically treble-oriented rather than bass.

The Fiio E11 adds a tad of warmth by itself, but I find the E10 adds even more, so it sounded very congested to me. If I wanted that sound signature, I always have my Dr. Dre Beats Solo to do it.

But then, it may just be my M50, and I admit... the MBP is the only output that my M50 seems to "shine" with. Even with a Cirrus Logic DAC in my iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4 and iPad 2, it didn't really "sing". I guess it's just a synergy issue.

I'll have a DT990 Pro 250Ohm in next week to test. Perhaps that one would pair better.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
Well, I took about 10 hours or so with the E10 yesterday before concluding that. The E10 compared to my MBP's output sounds more congested, less open, and high frequencies are not as extending. It sounded a tad on the warm side and it's a bit muddy, which... is definitely not my type of sound. I like open, clean, and crystal clear. Basically treble-oriented rather than bass.

The Fiio E11 adds a tad of warmth by itself, but I find the E10 adds even more, so it sounded very congested to me. If I wanted that sound signature, I always have my Dr. Dre Beats Solo to do it.

But then, it may just be my M50, and I admit... the MBP is the only output that my M50 seems to "shine" with. Even with a Cirrus Logic DAC in my iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4 and iPad 2, it didn't really "sing". I guess it's just a synergy issue.

I'll have a DT990 Pro 250Ohm in next week to test. Perhaps that one would pair better.

yeah maybe a synergy issue..first i heard of any problems. i didn't detect any problems with my setups

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #38 of 39
Well first off I have a "slightly ghetto" MacBook (yes just regular MacBook) 2006 model with 2 GB of RAM an Intel Core Duo (Not Core 2 Duo) with Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics chipset.  Not impressive to say the least, so I am not really sure this has "stellar" audio quality, although it does sounds better than the regular output of my iPhone.  Maybe I need to save up a little more money because I do want a pretty perceptible improvement of sound quality with my Sony's and Sennheisers.  Could you guys recommend any headphone amplifier (any company) under say 200 dollars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back