In search of portable headphone amp/DAC under $100
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 39
Oh ok.  This is what I found out through research.  The iPhone/ iPod line out dock already puts out an analog signal therefore rendering the DAC in the FiiO E7 completely pointless.  I know truly believe that Apple, was being helpful.  Do Android phones emit a pure analog signal without the use of a DAC?

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #17 of 39

Oh ok.  This is what I found out through research.  The iPhone/ iPod line out dock already puts out an analog signal therefore rendering the DAC in the FiiO E7 completely pointless.  I now truly believe that Apple, was being helpful.  Do Android phones emit a pure analog signal without the use of a DAC?

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
I thought the entire point of a DAC is to convert a digital signal to an analog one because analog sounds better.  Using the iPhone line out dock, the DAC will work, correct? Using the line out dock bypasses the iPhone's internal amplifier.

DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)
Audio is stored in a Digital (zeros & ones) format, amplifiers are analog (wave), we humans hear in analog (wave).
We humans can not hear digital, if we did hear digital, it would sound like morse code, but a million times faster.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Oh ok.  This is what I found out through research.  The iPhone/ iPod line out dock already puts out an analog signal therefore rendering the DAC in the FiiO E7 completely pointless.  I know truly believe that Apple, was being helpful.  Do Android phones emit a pure analog signal without the use of a DAC?

Any audio (digital) storage device that outputs sound will have a DAC.
So the Android does have a DAC.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #20 of 39

Quote:

Oh ok.  This is what I found out through research.  The iPhone/ iPod line out dock already puts out an analog signal therefore rendering the DAC in the FiiO E7 completely pointless.  I now truly believe that Apple, was being helpful.  Do Android phones emit a pure analog signal without the use of a DAC?

ipod's LOD emits one of the purest (mass product) signals on the market. they are a closed company so Digital out is not supported...increase in hardware costs, posts(ugly looking non minimalistic device) and..the fact that nobody would use it(but us) ....is a stupid idea to put it on. plus the micro USB port needs to support OTG and the software needs to be able to utilize it

using the last sentence above. i don't know too much but android support is very...limited right now. some say Cyanogen mod is working to get a digital signal out of android but reports are limited AND your device needs to support OTG for it's micro USB

E7 is a portable amp. and a DAC for use at home or while traveling

The E17 is basically a slightly better sounding upgraded E10,E7,E11 all in one. it's $140....only problem isn't the price. it's availbility. it sold out in half an hour in second batch (super hot  :) ) it's a little out of your range but if you want EVERYTHING. check out CLEIOS's review thread which is also the main E17 thread. if you have any questions about E17 you can feel free to ask :)

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 39
Glad to see you arent a total hater of iDevice sound quality.  Of course us audiophiles demand something better but for mass markets the sound output of an iDevice is most likely adequate for most people.  If they were to build in super high quality audio components it would sacrifice things like portability, thickness of the device, and battery life.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #23 of 39
Well, long story short, the E17 is >$100 and not available right now, so I don't think that's the right choice.

The Fiio E11, being $60 brand spanking new, is definitely <$100 and as ClieOS mentioned in his review, its amp section is comparable to E17. I think you are better off getting a LOD cable (try Fiio L1 for cheap) and the E11 for your iPod Touch 4.

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #24 of 39
Ok. I was planning on getting a LOD cable.  I will look into the E11.  Or maybe I will just have to save up and get the E7/ E9 combo for my laptop and then use the E7 solo with my iPhone.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
If you want a good DAC + portable amp combo, you can also go E10 + E11. E10 is a USB DAC and it's definitely a class above the E7 in terms of quality to me. E10 also has a line out that you can feed to E11 so you can use E11 as amp instead.

you basically just named a more expensive E17.... 

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
you basically just named a more expensive E17.... 

Perhaps so, but it's a combo, not like a single device like E17. Between going E7 + E9 vs E11 + E10, especially considering he only needs an amp right now, I'd think E11 + E10 would be cheaper.

He still has the option of getting a single E17, but there is no E17 to purchase right now.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
Perhaps so, but it's a combo, not like a single device like E17. Between going E7 + E9 vs E11 + E10, especially considering he only needs an amp right now, I'd think E11 + E10 would be cheaper.

He still has the option of getting a single E17, but there is no E17 to purchase right now.

...i know it's a combo. it looks better but there's no pro's to any device as compared to the E17...some like the analog dial type..but really..... E17 is $140. E10 is $80 and E11 is $65=$145..sure it looks better but stil

and yeah..no purchases which suck. it's sold out.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 39

Quote:
He can buy the E11 now and get the E10 later, so it's only $60 up front now, and another $80 when he wants to get a DAC for his computer, too.

It's the cheaper path than E7 for $80 and then E9 for $100 later on.

those two i would say sound better than a stand alone E7...and where did the E9 come popping in from? i know it's bought a lot but something else could work too. personally. and i mean personally. my eyes are all on the O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back