In search of headphones in place of DT880
Dec 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bpdq

New Head-Fier
Hello from Russia!

Currently I own Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones (old ones), but I'm suddenly not happy with them anymore. So there are several missing things for me:

- First of all, I want more clarity and details in sound;

- Then, the musicians seem to sit in my head, but I prefer them to play in front of me;

- And the sound is felt like veiled or may be dull. So I'm eager to hear more pure and, possibly, honest sound.

Source is E-MU 0404 USB, all the music are ripped in FLAC from high quality CD's. I like a lot of different kinds of music, but acoustic instruments (like pianos, guitars or violins) and vocal (either male and female) prevail. Just in case here is the specification of E-MU headphone amp:

Headphone Amplifier
Type: Class-A power amplifier
D/A converter: AK4396 (shared with Line Out)
Gain Range: 60dB
Maximum Output Power: 20mW
Output impedance: 22ohms
Frequency Response (20Hz-20kHz): +0.06/-0.035dB
Dynamic Range (A-weighted): 114dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-weighted): 114dB
THD+N (1kHz, max gain): 600ohm load: -95.5dB (.0018%)
Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS, 600 ohm load): < -85dB

Thank you in advance for your help, and sorry for my poor English.

Oh, I'm going to spend on it up to $800, but due to higher price in Russia it must normally cost under $600.

Looking forward for your advice.

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 23
do you have the 250 ohm version of the 880s? if yes, i think you should get an amp. while the emu 0404 does have a decent amp for a dac, i don't think you are getting everything out of your headphones. this is based only on what i have read here and in other forums. i do not have anything in this pricerange myself so you should wait for other replies before doing anything

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 23
Yes, 250 ohm. But it seems that headphones sounds properly with E-MU, I didn't try to listen to it with an outstanding headphone amp, but I've plugged it into integrated stereo amp, and it sounded worse than with E-MU. Besides, I have AC connected to the E-MU, so headphone amp would be a problem for me, because I don't have any cutoff point for it. So I would like to plug headphones straight to the E-MU, someone please tell me I should do it instead of buying an amp :)

Anyway I'm going to buy a new headphones, with amp or (hopefully) without it.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, 250 ohm. But it seems that headphones sounds properly with E-MU, I didn't try to listen to it with an outstanding headphone amp, but I've plugged it into integrated stereo amp, and it sounded worse than with E-MU.

Well, that may be your problem. Most amps, with the notable exception of some high-end gear, have a rather crappy phones output. I'd try to find a way to listen to your cans with a good headphone amp before shelling out big $$ for a new pair of phones.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 23
I agree...seems like an amp problem. My 2003 250 Ohm DT-880 does not lack detail nor sound veiled or dull.

I'm wondering how "old" they are...maybe you just need new 880's = )

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all, I want more clarity and details in sound; Then, the musicians seem to sit in my head, but I prefer them to play in front of me; and the sound is felt like veiled or may be dull. So I'm eager to hear more pure and, possibly, honest sound.

i'm thinking a grado RS1 or something stax.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 23
The veil he may be talking about is what I experience as a very laid back sound. If I don't use the dt880 for a day or two then put them on, I find myself having to turn up the volume until my ears adjust to the signature again. As far as clarity goes...to ME, the dt880s are so clear as to make me think someone is knocking on my door etc, heh.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #10 of 23
Well, another problem is I can't just listen my headphones with amp without buying it. So are you really sure that amp will improve the sound compared to E-MU jack. It's no doubt I'm ready to spend some extra buck to get the better quality of sound, but I still don't positive if it worth it.

It seems now I need your help with an amp too.

And I still would be grateful for headphone advice, because I will change DT880 anyway, if I will have to buy an amp, I'll just increase the sum to be spent. What do you think about AKG K1000?

Thank you all!

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 23
i don't think you can get the k1000 and an amp for 800$. if you want detail and clarity, a stax system could do the trick. 2050 is 450$ at pricejapan. the downside is that you won't be able to use the amp with any other headpones afaik

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 23
There is one shop here, which can deliver K1000 for $800, but it may took a year! Of course there will be separate amp budget if I'm going for that.

Well, Stax 2050 costs $1000 in Russia, but I'm going to listen to it today and decide if it suits me. Besides I'll have an opportunity to test HD-650, K701 and may be some Grados today (all with some nice amps), so I'll write down my impressions.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree...seems like an amp problem. My 2003 250 Ohm DT-880 does not lack detail nor sound veiled or dull.

2x ... maybe if you compare DT880 with K1000 you will find DT880 not so detailed or crystal clear, but K1000 are special..

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 23
This is weird. I have had the DT880 (2003 model) for a long time and they were definitely very detailed and bright. They were a nice complement to my HD650.
They are not forward or agressive, they don't rock like Grados, but they are absolutely the opposite of "veiled".
I matched them with a Musical Fidelity X-can V3, which is a very good combination, but they really came alive when I put Mullard tubes in this amp.
Mullards are very lush, full and warm sounding tubes and I found the combination very beautiful.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 23
The point is there isn't any lack of detales in DT880, I just want more :)

Today I've listened to New DT880 PRO, HD-650's, AT AD900, Beyers 250 PRO, AKG K701 and Stax 303. They were plugged to X-can V3 and then to some Fostex multi-jack device. I like AT and especially Stax more then others, but Stax is a little bit expensive for me now, so I think about buying AD1000 now and some stax set in the future.

By the way, listening showed that E-MU's amp is good and powerful enough for 250 ohm headphones, the sound is the same with X-can V3 (may be not exactly the same, but there is no difference for my ear without straight comparison, at least in minuteness).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back