In Search of a Quality IEM
Feb 9, 2017 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

TeknicalXtacy

100+ Head-Fier
I am seeking some guidance from you fine audiophile folks.  I have been researching for a good bit (an understatement), including reading threads here, the purchase of some new IEM’s.  I currently own some fairly modest samples that include:  Sennheiser Momentum, Westone UM2, and Etymotic HF5.  I use a Fiios X3 II to “power” them.  I am looking to take a step up.

Of the three, I like the Ety’s the best.  The UM2’s are nice, full sounding, but not overly defined and seem like they have a good bit of bass.  The Momentums quite frankly are quite muddy but I use them when surfing the web on my laptop.

What I am looking for is an open/clear, lush sounding IEM, that is not bass heavy, with good soundstage.  I don’t mind some bass, just don’t want it to dominate other parts of the sound signature. I am very intrigued by the Sennheiser IE800, but reviews are a mixed bag.  Most issues, like the cords, really are probably not an issue, but longevity is a concern given that they are the type of IEM’s one would keep for a very long time.  Also looked at some others, many in fact.  Most recently came across the AF180’s which get high marks.  Also, looked at the EX1000’s.  But there are so many choices.

Would like to keep my budget at $500, but will go higher if I am getting a life time product.  My goal is to get something “special” that is top quality.  IE800 is pretty much the top of the budget.  CIEM’s are out for me – FYI.  Also, the reviews of Shure’s leads me to believe they are not the sound I am looking for – a bit to “dry” based on my desires and what I am reading.  Neutral is not my main goal here. lush and fun is, but not too exaggerated.

Also, if a purchase on Amazon states “fullfilled by Amazon” are those products covered by warranty?

So there you go.  Input would be greatly appreciated as I do not think there are any places I can go try any out locally.

Thank you in advance,
john

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 31
since you like the Ety, why don't you consider their TOTL stuff like the SR/XR. sorry don't own them, but you read up and ask around. good luck.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 31
I thought about that.  But just didn't think they would sound much different than my HF5's.  Thoughts I would try a more open lush sound (but not bass heavy).  Really do like the HF5's.  Actually kinda surprised people think they have so little bass.  I use comply foam tips and Fiio X3 gen 2 and there is certainly plenty of bass.

Maybe I should try the new Ety's.  But they would definitely sound different than a IE800, at least I would think so from what I read.

In any case, thanks for chiming in, apppreciated.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 31
If you are looking to keep them for a long time, you might want to look at the ADEL drum earbuds.  They are new , but scheduled to ship this month.  They are supposed to help save your hearing.

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 31
64 Audio U3
Logitech UE900S
Westone W40

A few that I can think of. UE900S is a personal favorite, but suffers from the MMCX unstable connection issue. The product comes with deoxit, which helps but it's definitely more of a hassle.

W40 is warmer, having slightly more bass presence, but if you're considering the IE800, then I guess a warmer sound signature might be what you're looking for.

The U3 has the most airy soundstage, due to their apex modules. However, I have never personally tried them so I can't give comments about the sound.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 31
So the IE800 is a warm sound.  I was under the impression that it was more of a "u" shaped sound signature with bass located mostly in the sub-bass, a slightly recessed mid, and pretty sparkly highs that essentially imparted a more fun type signature.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 31
I wouldn't say that the IE800 is warm, just warmer than the hf5. A U-shaped sound is a pretty accurate description.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 31
Sucked-out lower and mid mids are what killed my enjoyment of IE800 making them sound dry and unpleasant.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #13 of 31
For me, it was the cable and fit. Felt too cheap for something so expensive.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 31
I could recommend Earsonics ES3. It sounds very good for the price. If you want lush and romantic sound, Earsonics SM64 is better. However, it's kind of hard to drive. Earsonics Velvet V2 is technically superior to both and has warm sound, but it may have too much bass for you. Velvet bass is controlled and textured but it hits really hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back