In Search of a Quality IEM
Feb 11, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 31
Greetings all,

Thanks to everyone that responded.  I did want to just let people know what I bought.  Very unexpectedly I ended go with the Etymotic again.  So 1 TrickPony is the winner!  I got the XR version this time.  Definitely like my HF5's and thought, before moving on to another sound signature, and given the just released update to the brand, I would get the flagship model by Etymotic.  I did order the XR by accident instead of the SR.  I guess i will get to see what Ety's nod to modernity sounds like.  If I don't like them I can always return them, but based on my HF5's I think I am in for a treat.  Should have them today.

So thanks again to everyone that responded.  Some very interesting suggestions that really were right on target to what I was trying to do.  But in the end I guess I chickened out and went with what I know and like.  Just hope the XR's aren't too bassy, but that can be remedied by exchange if need be.

Take care,
john

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 31
Well,

So much for that.  Got the ER4-XR today.  Sounds pretty good, but really not that much better than my HF5.  Don't know that it's worth that much money for the essentially the same sound.  Will likely be sending them back.  Oh well, I guess the search continues.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #19 of 31
The journey to acquiring your preferred headphones is usually as fun as listening to them after you found them. I personally keep a list of IEMs that I have tried, along with info on how they sounded to me, how long I tried them, and how they compared to the IEMs I own. It helps me keep track of the IEMs' sound and gives me a good idea on what kind of sound signature I prefer.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 31
Hey Slash,

I must admit they are growing on me.  The differences to my HF5 are somewhat subtle but they are noticeable.  The more I listen and compare the more I hear.  I do like the Ety sound signature and the XR's do have that little bit more bass, but you really have to pay attention.  Of course the XR's also seem to open up the soundstage, have greater separations, and an overall smoother delivery.  I guess I just need to calm down and spend some time first before I jump to judgement.

Of course the recordings themselves have an impact, the tips effect the sound, the power effects the sound etc.  So I have been trying different combinations and listening to different tracks.

Right now I only have a Fiio X3 Gen 2 to power them, and the XR's do take more juice to get them moving then the HF5's.  But I am finding that the XR's do cover a lot of ground.

Looks like these may be sticking around after all. 

And thanks for posting and kinda going on the journey with me.  Appreciated.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 31
No problem. I did get to receive impressions on the ER4XR, so I guess the pleasure is mine as well. :D

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #22 of 31
Hey Slash,

I must admit they are growing on me.  The differences to my HF5 are somewhat subtle but they are noticeable.  The more I listen and compare the more I hear.  I do like the Ety sound signature and the XR's do have that little bit more bass, but you really have to pay attention.  Of course the XR's also seem to open up the soundstage, have greater separations, and an overall smoother delivery.  I guess I just need to calm down and spend some time first before I jump to judgement.

Of course the recordings themselves have an impact, the tips effect the sound, the power effects the sound etc.  So I have been trying different combinations and listening to different tracks.

Right now I only have a Fiio X3 Gen 2 to power them, and the XR's do take more juice to get them moving then the HF5's.  But I am finding that the XR's do cover a lot of ground.

Looks like these may be sticking around after all. 

And thanks for posting and kinda going on the journey with me.  Appreciated.

never heard the the xr, but figured they are right up your alley. relieved to know you're making the most out them. Provided the signature I didn't know of another iem that can deliver as an upgrade. congrats!

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 31
Well,

Much to my chagrin I ended sending back the XR's.  I actually like them quite a bit, but felt the bass carried perhaps a bit too much into the mids.  But even that seemed very dependent on the recording.  In hindsight that may have been a bit overly critical as they sounded quite good overall.  Great separation, good sound stage (just outside the ears), and some nice depth front to back.  

So, I sent them back and got the SR's, which I actually feel are too bass light for me - which really surprised me.  This is particularly true if the recording does not have much bass to begin with.  I have owned a pair of HF5's for a long time and I felt they sounded better overall.  Not quite as smooth and not as coherent a sound, but overall much better balance throughout the frequency range as they have a bit more bass.  In fact some have said they would like a IEM that uses the mids and treble of both XR/SR but with the bass kept more in the subass region.  I think the HF5 comes close to that description, particularly if you "tip roll" and use something that doesn't muddy the bass (like a comply tip will tend to do).  I found the small ETY silicon tips were a good match as were the Ety gray foam tips.  The Ety foam tips seem to give the fullest sound without muddying things up but were not the most comfortable.  Then again, I was was pulling them in and out of my ears constantly so naturally they were getting irritated.

So now my search continues.  I am quite happy with my HF5's, but I would like something a bit more upscale.  Based on what I know so far I like a pretty neutral earphone, like some sound stage to give an openness, like to have some bass but keep it out of the mids, and have mids and highs that are considered neutral and not over emphasized.  I don't like a congested sound where everything just seems to pile on top of everything else.  And I am not a fan of overly emphasized mids, which is why I have not ventured into Shire territory.

Still open to suggestions if any cares to offer them.  Still thinking about the SONY EX-1000.  Or maybe the Campfire Andromeda or Noble Savanna.  Problem with the Noble products is there really is not much information out there.  I am also interested in getting a new DAP so any combos that people think might work would be welcomed.  Currently have a Fiio X3 Gen 2.

So for the long post, but hopefully it may help someone.  Buying these things is a pain in the ass becuase you can not try them first.  That would really save a lot of time and angst.

Take care all,
john

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #24 of 31
Interesting impressions on the ER4XR and SR.

Wouldn't the Andromeda be slightly too expensive (for new ones)? They are twice the price of the Savanna, but if you can get them, I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #25 of 31
Hey Slash,

Yes the Andromeda's are getting up there.  But I would say they are still doable if they have a sound that is worth it.  In other words will they provide a substantially different sound than a ER4XR with the same clarity but keeping the bass more in the sub-bass while providing a bigger sound stage and more 3D placement.  I guess, cry once, but get what you want.

In hindsight apart from the slight congestion with certain recordings, the ER4XR was pretty good.  But perhaps a larger sound stage along with more of that 3D quality.

So it my search I keep coming back to the SONY EX-1000, IE800, K3003 (but wish they didn't have a phone remote),  Along with these I have consider some of Noble and Campfire offerings.

IE800 seems like it may have to much bass, but a good sound stage.  K3003 is now like $700 but has a remote and the cables may be a bit delicate that may cause problems over time - but is supposedly clear and neutral with a big sound stage.  The Noble products have virtually no reviews or info, very limited.  And Campfire has quite a few offerings and quite a bit of good information.  Wondering if Campfire would have something in their line-up Andromeda or otherwise, that would do the trick - perhaps the Jupiter.

Sometimes I wonder if the ER4XR with a better DAP may actually get me where I want to be.

Reading Campfires site - looks the the Jupiter may be the ticket.

If I could freaking listen to them I would be done pretty quickly.

Thanks again for your assistance,
john

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #29 of 31
I recently auditioned a few CA products and I remember the Jupiter having slightly less impactful sub bass compared to the Andromeda. The Andromeda sounded more musical and slightly thicker than the Jupiter. Though that is not to say the Jupiter is bad. To me, the Jupiter sounded flatter than the Andromeda. The Orion is also a very promising product under the same line. It sounded very similar to the old ER4, in terms of producing a neutral sound.

The IE800 has a stronger bass presence than the Andromeda. It is also more engaging with its U-shaped sound, something I don't personally enjoy that much. The cable and fit of the IE800 is the main reason that generated my hate for them. I found myself constantly fiddling with the IEMs, trying to get a deeper fit or to keep them from falling off my ears if I started running or jogging. Quite a turn off for something so expensive. Of course, YMMV, I have seen some people stating that the fit was right for them.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #30 of 31
Ended up ordering the SONY EX-1000, which actually will be here tonight.  These, along with the IE800's, have peaked my interest for a while, mostly due to sound stage.  But the IE800 seem to quirky, for lack of a better term.  I figure I have the HF5's for that super clean analytical sound, even if they are a step below the ER4XR's - they are damn close.  

The others I have mentioned, like the Jupiter and Andromeda, seem to be a little too close to the analytical sound I already have.  The EX-1000's are a bit strange as IEM's go, but the huge sound stage, ability to be EQ'd, and excellent overall sound quality made me think this was the way to go.  I think I may have to work with them a bit but there is plenty of info out there to have some fun tuning them.  Also, at $400, I can consider getting a better DAP then my FiioX3 Gen2.

So - here we go again.  I hope these things work out - I am tired of looking and buying and returning.

Thanks again everyone - john

Users who are viewing this thread

Back