In search of a new headphone
Sep 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chojo

New Head-Fier
The problem is... i'm Canadian, so its pretty hard to find one at a decent price.

• My budget would be around 300$ for the headphone pair, I can go higher if the build quality is worth it.
• I live in Canada.
• I currently doesn't have an amp, but its on my to-buy list.
• I don't need it to be portable.
• I prefer open-back as I doesn't care at all about sound leak since i'm gonna use them at home only, but it can be closed back if the price/quality is good.
• I listen to everything and I game (casual gaming). I'm not into Electro stuff that much, more of a Rock, alternative and indie genre before anything else. I love listing to commercial Rap. I also own some of Angele Dubeau CD (violonist). So yeah... I listen pretty mutch anything.
• I wear glasses
• My files are encoded in mp3 v0
• I need comfortable headphone. My RIP UE6000 gave me headache because the clamp was too mutch after a little bit.

With that being said, I still did some homework. Here a list of some headphones I've read good things about and their CAD price with tax and shipping in.
1. Fidelio x2                              $481.31
2. Sennheiser HD 598                 $180 (they are at this price nearly each 3 month)
3. Audio M50x                           $165 (currently on sale at shop.ca with a coupon code)
4. Nad Visio HP50                       $268.39
5. Sony MDR MA-900                  $350.80
6. Beyer DT900                          $280
7. HiFiman HE400s                      $484.25
8. Sennheiser HD650                   $617.36
9. Sennheiser HD600                   $513.79
10. Beyer DT880 Premium 250ohm  $393
11. HiFiman HE-400                     $490

I'm open to suggestion and need help deciding my next pair of Headphone.
Thanks in advance.

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Based on your listening preferences I'd say a more neutral or perhaps somewhat laid back open headphone is in order, but with adequate bass for rap and also rock.  I'd rule out the Sennheiser HD 598 (you can afford better) and Audio Technica ATH-M50X (no sound stage).

Will you be plugging these headphones into a computer?  If so, do you have a sound card?  If not, which motherboard do you use?  Some newer, higher end motherboards actually include a headphone amplifier.

I think you would like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro.  The 250 Ohm model costs the least and is pretty easy to drive, although it will need amplification.  The 32 Ohm model may not need amplification.  

You should research the HiFiMan HE-400S and see how it compares to the HE-400.  The HE-400 has lower mid emphasis and upper mid recession from what I've read, and strong treble presence (too much for some) and bass that amazes just about everyone who hears it.  

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 8
Flat out the X2 & HD650 are the best in your list.

X2 is the better choice with no amp or just a cheap amp.
HD650 sounds worse in stock form, but can eclipse the X2 with much more expensive amps.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 8

Foster T50 Mk 3 with a little modding and new pads will work well with an amp and are comfortable for those of us that wear glasses, they are pretty versatile and and can be modded extensively as funds allow.

Sep 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Haven't heard many on that list but NAD Viso gets my vote based on my experience, for what you said. It's very good all rounder for any music, with somewhat balanced but not boring sound. Very good soundstage for closed back headphone and they are very comfortable. Only con is they are not as portable as they could be, but then again, you don't care about that. 

Also they are low impedance and decently sensitive headphones so you might not even need any amp at all, which is again good for your pocket. They are around for 250-300$

Sep 27, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 8
I pulled the trigger on the Fidelio X2. Found them on ebay, a demo product of an american audio company, so bough them at 250US vs the regular price at 299US. With the shipping and the currency conversion, it goes to 391 CAD.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back