In search for perfect headphones
Feb 21, 2008 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sephael

Head-Fier
Hello there dear community
smily_headphones1.gif

I've recently became interested in buying some really good headphones, and I would love to hear your opinion.

What I like to listen to:
-Jazz
-Chillout
-Classical
-Electronic
-Ambient

Stuff like Clint Mansell, Royksopp, movie OSTs (classical music mostly, by Joe Hisaishi for example), Murcof, Jaga jazzist, Gramm, Herbert etc.

What Im after:
- headphones that wont make my ears feel tired after long listening, as I usually do long sessions ;p
-blocking of outside noise would be perfect, as I love to indulge myself in just the music Im listening to, and not the sounds around :/
-Its gonna be used mostly in flat, maybe take it out sometimes, but rarely.

Im not setting a price on that, but please, if its possible, can you suggest headphones in each price range, for example >100£ , 100-150£, 150-200£ etc.

Also, If its needed, please suggest and amplifier or any other piece of equipment that might be needed to improve the listening experience.

In other words, I want to experience "eargasm" whenever I listen to music
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. I'm situated in Scotland, if its of any importance.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 19
Well, there are alot of good headphones and even more recommendations, and I was wondering if there are headphones that would fit exactly my needs. Anyway, cheers for help mate
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. Pratchett is awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 19
Based on your musical preferences as listed, you might want to try AKG K701's. I'm finding them to be a good choice for most everything (classical, jazz, pop, light rock). Very transparent sound. The only thing that might be missing for you is low synth energy on your electronica. What source and amp are you going to be using?

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 19
Ah my first recommendation....

For £150-£200 most people here will recommend the HD650/600, the AKG K701s, some Grados(which are too expensive here to be honest) or maybe the Beyer 880s but all will need a good amp to drive them from what i've heard.

The Ergo 2 is less expensive at £149 and doesn't need an amp to the extent of the above. They are also very comfortable and i guess would be good for all the music you listen to. I recently brought these and i'm very happy.

Where abouts in Scotland you from? I'm in Edinburgh and theres a meet on in a weeks time(see meet section in forum), so if you want to try out before you buy this is a great time.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your musical preferences as listed, you might want to try AKG K701's. I'm finding them to be a good choice for most everything (classical, jazz, pop, light rock). Very transparent sound. The only thing that might be missing for you is low synth energy on your electronica. What source and amp are you going to be using?

I've found the K701 to be perfect for electronica since it tones down the exaggerated bass on most tracks, so the tracks come out sounding well balanced IMO. Add to that the huge soundstage and accurate bass and I think they make a great pair for techno.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #10 of 19
Thanks for all the recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

To clarify.. Im looking for:
-headphones
-mp3 player
-amplifier (if needed)

Im gonna use the headphones on my laptop for now, until I get a good mp3 player.

Im from Perth, sadly I dont think Ill be able to attend the meeting, seeing as I have few exams during the next 2 weeks in college. Ill see what I can do tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 19
Welcome fellow mad Scotsman!

If you can swing by the meet it'd give you a great dive in the deep end as far as headphones are concerned. Check out the thread in the meets forum (its linked in my sig too).

If you're not taking it outside, you really don't need a closed back headphone, which at the lower end, tend to sound not as good as open back headphones.

I think I might see a DR150 in your future. Those go for £60-£70 new these days I think, and don't need, but will benefit from, an amp.

Moving up a bit with the budget and theres (used) AKG K501, Sennheiser HD580, Grado SR-125/225 and used, but so tricky to get compared to the others cos theres less of them about, the Precide Ergo 2.

Most of those really do benefit from an amp (particularly the HD580 and K501). Going more expensive than those and I'd start looking at budget electrostatic options personally. Although the only practical electrostatic for portable use is the Stax SR-001.

As for as MP3 players go, you might get better discussion if you post a separate inquiry in the portable audio forum. I've been using my ancient iPod for ages now and really cant help you on that topic.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... and do not return to this site for one month.

Why would you say that?

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #14 of 19
I've heard from my friend that the Sennheiser HD205 are good, and I can buy them from HMV in my city, which is a great plus, seeing as I would like to test the headphones before buying. What do you think?

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by InertKinesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you say that?

Because this site leads to feelings of gear-inadequacy (keeping up with the jones'). I think people sometimes forget that upgrading headphones is not a requirement for music enjoyment. I'd say that 99% of people would be happier with a $20 KSC75 than $10,000 of uber-revealing gear for the following 2 reasons :

1. Diminishing Returns
2. Overly detailed gear can make you see flaws inherent in the recordings, maybe to a point that it can good/creative/enjoyable music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back