in search for a "high-end" 'phone
Mar 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ronmtorres

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I really need your help here. I'm currently saving up my money to purchase a higher-end headphone. I might go to HK this coming May so I would like to get a headphone there since it is hard to find (and usually very expensive) to buy a nice pair in my country. I'm currently thinking of getting an HD650. However, I'm having second thoughts because there might be better choices out there like beyers 770/880/990 or UE Triple-Fi 10.
I listen to all types of music but I prefer hip-hop/R&B. My limit is US$400. I don't care what kind of headphone I would be buying (IEM or full-sized or whatever). I just care about the sound I will be getting. What are your thoughts guys, should I proceed with the HD650 or do you recommend me getting some other else?
Oh I forgot to say, I'm not planning to buy anythin else but a headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif
no other upgrades first
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 12
You could get an Ultrasone HFI-780 for $200 off RMCaudio.com, and then a $200 iBasso D2 portable USB DAC/Amp off ibasso.com. Apparently, the HFI-780's are great allrounders with good bass for your music preference. According to souperman, he likes the HFI-780 + D2 combination as well.

I ordered an ALO modded HFI-780 ($470 shipped) and iBasso D2 personally, and I can't wait 'till they come in
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 12
Go for the HD650. It's a smart move to begin with the best cans in your price range. This way you'll have a reliable baseline for selecting other components. The next step after you've saved enough is a good after-market cable. There are a lot of good ones out there for the 650 -- pull out the stock, plug in the new. After that, amp, DAC, amp+DAC -- whatever you can afford. Enjoy the process, wherever you are in the chain. That's what this hobby is all about.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650s are wonderful headphones, but do not get them unless you also budget for an amp. They absolutely need a decent one.

QFT.

I held off on the 650s for a long time after I joined HF because for some reason I thought I wouldn't like them (my first "real" headphones were Grados). Well, now I have the 650, and it is my favorite can (of the ones I've owned). Boomana is right; they need at least a decent amp. But they scale so well, and are so flexible (after market cables, easy to balance) that it is hard to go wrong. Also, in my opinion, the HD650 can definitely rock with the best of them.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 12
If You really don't plan to get a decent amp, I would suggest You the Beyer DT 880 (or 990 - less detail, more bass.). They're one of the "hi-end" phones that sound quite good unamped, though will surely benefit from amping.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The next step after you've saved enough is a good after-market cable. There are a lot of good ones out there for the 650 -- pull out the stock, plug in the new. After that, amp, DAC, amp+DAC -- whatever you can afford.

Whoa! Wait a minute, hold on. I would say IMO that is bad advice as a upgraded cable should be the last thing on the list, not the first. Get the can and then invest your money into the amp/source and then after you "step" all that up then worry about the cable.

Mar 8, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! Wait a minute, hold on. I would say IMO that is bad advice as a upgraded cable should be the last thing on the list, not the first. Get the can and then invest your money into the amp/source and then after you "step" all that up then worry about the cable.

Good point, crewchief. Either way would work. I prefer moving the aftermarket cable up in the chain, before the amp/DAC. This way you won't have to second guess whether it's the amp/DAC or cable that's the weak link. If you have the 650 with a good cable, then you know it has to be the amp. Not bulletproof, but practical.

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 12
May be worth checking out the Stax SR-303 and/or SR-404 as well.
They are stunning pair of headphones, and can both be had within your $400 budget.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 12
actually, THeMonkey's and feifan's opinions I share and are also reasons I am inclinedfor the HD650. however, a friend told me the HD650s might not suit me because of my inclination to hip-hop and R&B; hence my mention of the beyers. What I like about the HD650 is its scalability and flexibility as TheMonkey said. Besides, I think having an HD650 might stop me from buying another HP for some time and instead focus on upgrading sources/cables/amps. More opinions still wanted please! to all who replied, thank you very much. your opinions and thoughts matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back