In New York City...
Mar 24, 2005 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Ic3Floe

100+ Head-Fier
Ah, so right now I'm on spring break, and I actually convinced my parents that going to a beach somewhere was a bad idea, and that we should actually go somewhere interesting. Lo and behold, we settled on New York. I'm posting this right at the end of my first full day in the big apple (after arriving yesterday). Asides from the cold weather, rain, sleet, slush, snow, and hail, I'm having a ton of fun.

Today, I woke up late (I blame jetlag) to find it raining outside. The 'rents decided to do a somewhat indoors day, so we headed for the Museum of Modern Art. The museum was interesting to say the least, but I've come to the conclusion that lots of things are called art just because they are created by famous people. Lots of crap at the MoMA, but also some really cool stuff. After that, we headed to times square where we bought discount theater tickets for "Movin' Out," a musical with Billy Joel music. After getting the tickets, and walking around in the rain at times square, we took the subway back towards our place. On the way back, we stopped at 550 Madison Ave, which for those of you who don't know, is where the Qualia store is. I had a really breif listen to the 010s out of the Qualia SACD player. They 010s where the large size, which was ridiculously big. I was forced to hold the headphones on my ears... wasn't the best listening environment.

I just got back from Movin' Out, which I enjoyed immensely actually. I'm definitely going to go to bed really soon. So far I'm having a good time exploring new york.

What does everyone out there (especially new yorkers) think are the must sees of this city. We're not staying for that long, so I really want to use my time to see the best stuff.

Good night from new york.

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 43
If you ever were even remotely interested in dinosaurs, I would highly recommend going to the Museum of Natural History. They have skeletons of practically every dinosaur ever. I went to New York briefly this past summer, and all I did was go there and to Central Park, so I don't really have any other suggestions.

I hope your trip continues to be fun.

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 43
Wow - you got to listen to the Qualia without an appointment? I was in NYC for a week while they were in Vegas
rolleyes.gif
They did have a Qualia but since the "store manager" was in vegas - they couldnt give me an appointment in time.

Nevertheless I spent time with the Qualia in California a few days later...

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Wow - you got to listen to the Qualia without an appointment? I was in NYC for a week while they were in Vegas
rolleyes.gif
They did have a Qualia but since the "store manager" was in vegas - they couldnt give me an appointment in time.

Nevertheless I spent time with the Qualia in California a few days later...

Yea, I guess I was lucky that nobody else was around. They actually had two pairs of the Qualias, one in a display case and one hooked up to the sacd player. Like I said, having a pair of the large 010s hooked up for listening was a really bad move as, IIRC, very few people have heads large enough for the large ones.

We purchased City Passes which get us admission to most of the museums (inc. Natural History), but not the metropolitan. Is the Met worth going to?

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 43
The Met is worth going visiting. I am sorry I didn't get there when we were there over Christmas breadk. You should go down to the Village. I love Bleecker Street. Bleeker Bobs is a cool record shop. The best falafal joint I've been to is Mamouns (I think that is the correct spelling).

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 43
You waste spring break on the Rotten Apple?
biggrin.gif

I hope you have a fun time, don't get robbed, stabbed, mugged, shot, beaten up, pick-pocketed, you know, all that NYC fun. And enjoy the smell of urine, it's wonderful
tongue.gif

As was recommended previous, the Museum Of Natural History is a nice place to visit. For eats, you cannot possibly pass up the world famous Katz Deli for pastrami that is out of this world.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 43
The MoMA is so great! I love the new building. it's definitely worth checking out.

EAT A HOT DOG! Grays Papaya in the west village is muy bueno.

Jim Hanely's Universe is a great comic shop in midtown

check out the museum of comic and cartoon art in soho (shameless plug for the museum i work for) on broadway and houston

just walk around and stay away from times square

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
just walk around and stay away from times square

Why?
confused.gif

I mean...there are things there that are pure eye candy right?

NBC Studios? ESPN? etc.

I dont know...havent spent too much time in NYC

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Why?
confused.gif

I mean...there are things there that are pure eye candy right?

NBC Studios? ESPN? etc.

I dont know...havent spent too much time in NYC

Because it's a tourist trap. It's too ******* crowded and there's more to New York than fregging Times Square.

Ic3Floe,

Here's a online map: http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/route/

Try Chinatown also, the N train makes a stop at Canal Street.

I think you can spend an entire day at China Town alone...little Italy is just a hop over from it (by west of Mott street iirc). Avoid the financial district, i work there and i hate tourists coming here. There's nothing to see other than the WTC pit and poor schmucks like me going to eat lunch.
tongue.gif

Seriously though, Wall street can be an interesting place for tourists i imagine. Try the 2 train to Wall street or take the A train to Broadway-Nassau and walk south about 5-6 blocks. Stage Door Deli is a decent place to eat at, located on Vesey street between Church and Broadway (literally diagonally across the street from the WTC site and the LIRR entrance on Church street). Enjoy your stay and feel free to ask questions.

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 43
See some live music. You're in the best music city in the world. With a student ID you can get 2 tickets to the philharmonic tonight for $10 each. Or catch some jazz at the village vanguard/blue note/birdland.

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitri
See some live music. You're in the best music city in the world. With a student ID you can get 2 tickets to the philharmonic tonight for $10 each. Or catch some jazz at the village vanguard/blue note/birdland.

This is a great idea. I caught a concert when I was up there. I think the Mingus Big Band plays somewhere on a weekly basis in Manhattan somewhere, as an example.

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #13 of 43
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I basically just woke up and showered. Its likely that we are going to go to the museum of natural history today, which is good. We might go see another broadway show at some point. I'm hoping that my parents won't mind me going off on my own at some point, that way I can explore some of the less touristy areas of the city.

So far, I have not once been scared of getting mugged/knifed/etc in this city. Maybe Im just naive, but this city actually seems just as safe as Vancouver. Also, I've seen hordes of people walking around with white earbuds and ipods... none of whom seem to be afraid of getting mugged.

Keep the advice coming. Thanks
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ic3Floe
We might go see another broadway show at some point.

Check out Chicago (which was very good) or Le Cage Aux Folles, it was hysterical!

If you want to wander around, just walk on Broadway from the Village south into Chinatown. I doubt you'll have any issues regarding being robbed or anything, NYC is quite safe, just wear your wallet in your front pocket.

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitri

How would I go about getting tickets to the philharmonic for this price? On their website, their doesn't seem to be any way to get tickets for so cheap. Do they have a box office somewhere? I would be very interested in going and seeing a concert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back