In need of some advice about headphones and a question about senn' px-200
Apr 28, 2004 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

eggplant of doom

Head-Fier
hi
I'm searching for awhile now, for a pair of portable, closed phones (
smily_headphones1.gif
) to go with my ipod (the original budds are no good, well, terrible actually).
I'm looking for something that would produce goood quality sound (well duh) in a budget of up to 40$, and will be used mainly for jazz and "soft" rock.

someone I know suggested the senn px-200, which seemed like a good idea until I read some reviews from people here that made me feel somewhat...uncomfortable.

so could someone recomand me a pair, or give me some first hand review of the px-200?

thx
Jonathan

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 25
For that price range PX200 is pretty much your only choice, although a used pair of V6s might scrape in under $40. I've heard interesting things about the Labtec/Creative closed 'phone (can't remember model number and they may not even be closed
biggrin.gif
). Pity search is disabled......

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #3 of 25
Here are some headphones to consider.

Senn PX200 (you already know about)
Audio Technica ATH-FC7 priced at $45 (waiting for mine to come in so I can do an A/B comparison with Grado SR60s)
Sony MDR-V6 (priced new is more than your budget though..)

Pioneer makes decent headphones, but I haven't heard them in a long time to honestly tell you to get them. You should try them out if you can. Though Pioneer isn't a big headphone player here in the USA.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 25
the v6 are indeed well above my budget (and they are not portable so they're not even what I'm looking for).

The audio technica are definitely an option, I guess they are easy enough to drive for the ipod right?

about the px-200, are they considered hi-fi? I mean I've heared so many reviews from both sides I dont know what to belive anymore...

my dad is flying to the US in a couple of weeks, so I think I'll ask him to bring the couple I choose.

More suggestions are always welcomed.
lambda.gif

Jonathan

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 25
If you can't get a good seal with these PX200, then you might think they lack bass. I tried them on at a local high end audio store here in California, and they couldn't provide a good seal, and consequently the bass was a bit lacking. I actually preferred their PX100s over the PX200, but the PX100 are open air design...

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 25
yes, I heard that a lot, about the px-100 that is, but I live in the city, and it's really annoying to listen to music with buses on the background...
basshead.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 25
I'm no expert but I ended up buying the px-200s for my ipod and am satisfied. I first tried the Beyer-231s but thought they were too clunky for portable use. I returned them for the px-200s and felt they sounded as good if not better than the Beyers. I also like their look and the fact that they can fold up to fit in your pocket. An additional bonus for me is that the pads "sit" on your earlobes allowing me to listen to my ipod while falling asleep.

They are also bassy enough for me but I think I'm getting a good seal and that has not been everyone's experience.

Another thing to consider is that your hi-fi experience (and mine) is somewhat limited by the quality of the mp3's anyway. Regardless of what you end up choosing however, almost anything is guaranteed to be an improvement over the buds.

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 25
Hi eggplant of doom. (love the nick.)

I own a pair of sen px200 and used them primarily for commutes. They don't seal out the surrounding sounds - you can still hear the noises clearly although it's muffled. But when it's playing, you don't hear the outside noise and it also doesn't leak so people don't hear what you are listening to.

They produce an enjoyable sound - using my player's equalizer - and should have no problem being powered by the Ipod.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 25
I also use the PX200 for portable use.
They have a rather dark and undetailed but nevertheless enjoyable sound, but I doubt that's the perfect combination for soft music / jazz.
They have TONS of well textured bass impact for me (more than DT531, KSC-35 and CD780) and I don't think I have a very good seal. They change dramatically during burn-in!
What makes them good for portable use is that they leak almost nothing, even at "moderate" levels and don't look too big.
For that price .. well,the Koss UR/R series seems to be well respected too, but they're a bit bigger and I haven't really heard them. V6 would be even worse for jazz, by the way
wink.gif

-Taurui

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 25
thank all
lambda.gif

I think that settles it, I'll ask my dad to get the px-200.

Say, what is better: buying it in some audio store/duty-free (in new york
I think) or ordering from the internet to my aunts place and have him pick them up from there?

*I'm getting new headphones...la la la la la *

EDIT: Sorry Taurui I missed your post somehow...
anyway the koss are really to bulky for portable use.
I think that the px-200 are the best option concerning the price.
I'll make sure to break them in properly befor using them.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 25
i would order them from Headroom and have them shipped to your aunt's. That way if you are one of the unfortunates with the seal problem, she can return/exchange them for you.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by eggplant of doom
about the px-200, are they considered hi-fi?

not really. i can't think of a headphone pricing $40 to be hi-fi. that isn't mean its bad though. it should be well above the level of free stock earbuds.

Quote:

Can one return stuff ordered by the internet?
how?

it depends on the warrenty/return policy of the website/dealer you bought from. you should read the info policy of the website. places like audiocubes.com won't let you return it for money, only to switch with another one. places like samedaymusic.com let you return your item before 60days, no question asked.

Apr 28, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 25
oh...cool...
Such nice ppl at HeadRoom letting us try out the product for 30 days...WOW
blink.gif

thy're kinda pricy though - they charge 60$ for a pair, while i found it as low as 37$ in places like this and 40$ here
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back