In Need of Earbuds Under $50
Jan 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
I am in need some some new earbuds. I am using Skullcandy Ink'd headphones right now
rolleyes.gif

Obviously, I am not too satisfied with them. So, here I am asking for some advice on some new headphones.

I'm not focused around having bass, but just a good sound in general.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 18
Do you specifically want earbuds that rest on your ear? I'd recommend JVC Marshmallows but those are outer canal phones and will go into your ear a bit (but this will also isolate noise for you). Marshmallows and Koss KSC75's are usually thought of as best sub $50 stuff but neither are earbuds (KSC75's are clip ons).

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 18
They can be in ears, it doesn't really matter to me. I just am looking for the best thing I can get for the money that aren't fullsize cans.

I was thinking of the Sennheiser CXxxx's but heard the cable transfers touch very easily.

Jan 11, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 18
Denon AH-C551K $54.99/NuForce NE-7 $58@Amazon. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 18
Um Sony's have some good products too, and Sennheiser have good sound quality too. But for 50 bucks you won't get amazing sound signature with earbuds, if you get the Sennheiser Px100, that'll be better.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Z BUD, you can find them for around $40 I guess but they retails for 80~

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 18
I picked up a pair of Koss KE29S earbuds at Wally-World (Wal-Mart to those that aren't familiar with the joke) and I have to say I am damned impressed. Having owned some Shure E3c's (the E2c's were absolutely horrible, just *ugh*), I was expecting these to sound like utter crap considering the cost.

But... considering that I'm a HUGE fan of the Koss KSC-75 (and everything Koss has created based off the Porta Pros over the years, including the Radio Shack branded derivatives from the Pro-25 onward), I was and am quite impressed with these earbuds. Let my iPhone (original) bang out some tunes for about 24 hours to break 'em in, wide variety of styles and content, and I swear these sound far better now than they did when I bought 'em just 4 days ago.

$24.88 in store, but the funny thing is that online at:

Walmart.com: Koss Earbud Stereophones - iPod Silver: Audio

they're listed as the KEB24-SILVER, but the box I have here on my desk plainly says KE29S "Steel" (I guess the "Steel" is reference to the color). Snapped 2 pics with my iPhone just now of the box (crappy lighting in my room, sorry for that):

But they appear to be the same earbuds as the KEB24S, same specs, just no idea where this part number came from because even at the Koss site they're KEB24S and not KE29S.

I could care less, all I will say is these are the best sounding earbuds - to me that I've encountered for under the $180 I paid for the E3c's I had years ago, and I've owned/tried like 40 different models from a variety of manufacturers including Sony, etymotic, UltimateEars, and others.

I consider these another stupendously cheap but incredibly awesome sounding Koss "pull a rabbit out of a hat" magic devices... just like the KSC-75, they just sound fantastic to me.

Worth checking out, definitely.

Good luck...

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 18
I have the Senn Px100, JVC marshmallows and Denon 551k. You can not go wrong with any of them. I do not buy high end phones but for the money the Denons are my new favorite.

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Try a set of SOUNDMAGIC PL30'S or NUFORCE NE-7's. Have you tried Etymotic triple flanged eartips on your Skullcandy's?

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 18
+1 for the Nuforce Ne-7m's. I think they sound pretty balance with nice highs and good bass. I've had the Shure se110's (good mids and highs, not enough bass) and have listened to the Skull Candy's Smokin buds (too much bass, no mids or highs).

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Average /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a pair of Koss KE29S earbuds at Wally-World (Wal-Mart to those that aren't familiar with the joke) and I have to say I am damned impressed. Having owned some Shure E3c's (the E2c's were absolutely horrible, just *ugh*), I was expecting these to sound like utter crap considering the cost.

But... considering that I'm a HUGE fan of the Koss KSC-75 (and everything Koss has created based off the Porta Pros over the years, including the Radio Shack branded derivatives from the Pro-25 onward), I was and am quite impressed with these earbuds. Let my iPhone (original) bang out some tunes for about 24 hours to break 'em in, wide variety of styles and content, and I swear these sound far better now than they did when I bought 'em just 4 days ago.

$24.88 in store, but the funny thing is that online at:

Walmart.com: Koss Earbud Stereophones - iPod Silver: Audio

they're listed as the KEB24-SILVER, but the box I have here on my desk plainly says KE29S "Steel" (I guess the "Steel" is reference to the color). Snapped 2 pics with my iPhone just now of the box (crappy lighting in my room, sorry for that):

But they appear to be the same earbuds as the KEB24S, same specs, just no idea where this part number came from because even at the Koss site they're KEB24S and not KE29S.

I could care less, all I will say is these are the best sounding earbuds - to me that I've encountered for under the $180 I paid for the E3c's I had years ago, and I've owned/tried like 40 different models from a variety of manufacturers including Sony, etymotic, UltimateEars, and others.

I consider these another stupendously cheap but incredibly awesome sounding Koss "pull a rabbit out of a hat" magic devices... just like the KSC-75, they just sound fantastic to me.

Worth checking out, definitely.

Good luck...

Sorry to fully quote and bump this but well, I've picked up a pair of these to try out and definitely will compare.
Coming my way are the Koss KE29S model.
Time to shed some light on some maybe overlooked and neglected earphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back