In need of advice... [choosing headphones]
Oct 31, 2015 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mesmerized

Head-Fier
Dear Users!

I've pulled the trigger on HiFiMan 603 and I have to say that after suffering from a major disappointment with FiiO X3ii I'm finally able to enjoy music without having a hole in my wallet. 

I need your advice regarding a purchase of a decent pair of reasonably-priced headphones. What would be your advice for HiFiman 603?

Thanks

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 15
What's "reasonably-priced" to you?  What kind of sound signature do you want?  Do you need open back or closed back headphones?

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 15
  What's "reasonably-priced" to you?  What kind of sound signature do you want?  Do you need open back or closed back headphones?

First of all, thanks a million for replying to this thread.

I used to have Shure 440 and used them with my iPod Classic and then Fiio X3ii. In both cases I wasn't satisfied. Acoustic music sounded very nice; there was a lot of space and air, but anything rock-ish sounded harsh... Especially on Fiio. Extemely digital, lifeless and hermetic. And they were way too big too.

Right now I'm using cheap Sound Magic earphones (earbuds?) and they sound surprisingly well with my HiFiman603, but I think/hope I could easily squeeze more out of this player (?) 

My budget: 50USD-150USD.

I initially wanted to get something like Grado SR60, but I guess they aren't a good choice if I want to use them outside? I've also thought about AKG 451... or something from SONY or Bose with noise cancelling.

I listen to a lot of classic rock and blues-rock (Zeppelin, Purple, Wishbone Ash, Ten Years After, Hendrix) and plenty of blues, swing, jazz, acoustic guitar and progessive rock (Pink Floyd-ish) I love stuff with lots of drums a'la Carlos Santana's first album with plenty of instruments. I don't listen to modern genres at all. I'd love to have wide and deep soundstage. Bass should be tight, not overwhelming. I hate sterile, harsh high tones... HiFiMan sounds quite warm, fortunately. 

I'm also not sure what would be best... earphones/earbuds/monitors/headphones/headphones with a noise cancelling system?

Hope to hear form you.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 15
My favorite headphones under $100:

STAX SR-30
Philips SHP9500
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x

You should also look into EQ to tweak the sound of any headphone.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 15
Those Philips cans are semi-open, aren't they?  
Any thoughts on noise cancelling headphones (Bose, Sony?)

Open.

I actually enjoy the Bose QC15 more than many headphones that have much better sound quality. Its colorations are pleasant and/or exciting with all sorts of music. I owned it for years. It sounds much better with a normal headphone cable instead of the stock cables. It can be found for under $100 on the used market instead of the $300 I paid for it new. But it requires a AAA battery to even work. It's hard to recommend.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 15
  Thanks again.

Any thoughts on the following:

AKG 451/452
SONY MDR-1A

Plus, could anyone comment on what's better: headphones or earbuds/monitors? 

Never heard 'em. But the Sony is out of your budget.

Circumaural (over-ear) headphones are better than earbuds and often better than IEMs (in-ear monitors). However, there are plenty of IEMs that are better than plenty of full-size headphones. Read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-347-iems-compared-hifiman-re300h-added-10-25-15-p-1089

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Takstar HI2050 are one incredible budget set of cans for about $50. Absolutely love them, and I also own Philips Fidelio x2. So that's saying a lot!

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for your suggestion MisterMudd.

Philips Fidelio... are they open headphones?

What do you think about Grado SR60?

I imagine open cans are not good for commuters? I have to take subway every day... Plenty of noise.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 15
You are quite welcome. Philips Fidelio are open and much too expensive. I have had the Grados sr-60, and they are good too, but are also open back headphones. A good budget, closed-back headphone would be the Gemini HSR1000. They're rebranded Takstar Pro 80 for about one half the price. Any open-back headphone would not be good for commuting on a subway.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks again MisterMudd.

Would you say those Takstars sound better than AKG 451? Are they suitable for the following genres of music? Blues, blues-rock, classic-rock, jazz, acoustic, progressive and psychedelic rock?

Are they large? Aren't they more suitable for studio work/home use? What about their capacity for unwanted noise reduction? I'm aware they are not designed to be noise-cancelling cans but being closed headphones do they block out outside noise? 

And what about their impedance? Is it 60Ohms? That's quite a high value for a portable music player, I guess? My HiFiman has a switch that is supposed to give the player some boost but still... 

I'm still thinking whether I should add a few bucks and get Sony MDR-1A with noise-cancelling function. I can get them here for half of what I'd have to pay for Bose... 

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 15
   What about their capacity for unwanted noise reduction? I'm aware they are not designed to be noise-cancelling cans but being closed headphones do they block out outside noise? 

And what about their impedance? Is it 60Ohms? That's quite a high value for a portable music player, I guess? 

Put dense pleather pads on that go around your entire ear, and they'll block out a lot of noise.  If you need more isolation than that, you're out of luck with probably any kind of normal headphone.  The stock pads don't isolate very well.

60 ohms should be no problem.  The Pro 80 is plenty loud.  

Yes, it's pretty big.  It will be even bigger with true over-ear pads on.  If you want strong isolation, there's only so many ways to do it.  If wearing full-size headphones in public is a problem, I'd do more research into IEMs that people rate highly for isolation.  You're basically sticking ear plugs into your ears, and they sure are easier to carry.  And they don't mess up your hair.

If noise is a really serious problem, you could use IEMs and then put actual ear muffs over them.  They kind of look like headphones.  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back