In need of a new setup.
May 5, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ImmortalKenny

Head-Fier
I hope this is the right section, but anyways. I'm in need of a new setup that will consist of full-sized headphones and most likely an amp/dac. I mostly listen to techno, hard-rock, some rap, mostly the bass stuff. I am a basshead and love my bass, not overpowering the mids and highs though. I really don't know where to start looking. This doesn't need to be portable at all, as I do most of my listening on my computer, which has an Auzentech Prelude btw. My budget is going to be around $550 - $600 for the headphones and amp/dac.

I've been looking at some headphones, DT770's, A900/AD900, D2000, etc, but I don't know if they're made for the music that I listen to. All help and input is appreciated.

-Cody

May 5, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 7
If open headphones are an option, I'd recommend trying the 2005 / new version DT990 too. I think the soundstage on them should be a bit wider than the 770's, not to mention crisper highs. The pair well with a Meier Corda Arietta if/when you decide to buy an amp.

May 5, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 7
If you're looking for an amp, look at getting a PPAv2. You save some coin by going DIY and since you love Bass, it has an adjustable bass knob on it to tailor it to your needs. Contact MisterX or another DIYer to build one for you.

As for headphones, get DT770's or RP21's. That'll sit you UNDER your $500 budget with slamming bass and you won't have upgrade-itis for a LOOOOONNNG time.

May 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for an amp, look at getting a PPAv2. You save some coin by going DIY and since you love Bass, it has an adjustable bass knob on it to tailor it to your needs. Contact MisterX or another DIYer to build one for you.

As for headphones, get DT770's or RP21's. That'll sit you UNDER your $500 budget with slamming bass and you won't have upgrade-itis for a LOOOOONNNG time.

Now for the DT770's, should I get the 80 ohm or the 250 ohm version?

May 5, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm not familiar with the PPA2, but you should be looking at a solid state amp. Bass, generally, is much better on them. A few more you should consider are the M^3 (variable bass control) and the Beta22. Both are DIY/custom builds. I have also been impressed with the Eddie Current EC SS and the PreSonus Central Station. Both would push your budget, but they're good.

May 5, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Beta 22 for under 600$ ??
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back