In need of a new IEM (previously Ety ER6i/B&W C5/Klipsch S4/Bose MIE2i/SOL Republic Amps HD)
Nov 29, 2011 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dem1k

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

First off - I'm no audiophile, so I'm not sure I even belong here. However, I can always use help, hence my post.

The essentials:
  • I primarily listen to rap/hip hop/rock/indie rock, with the occasional folk
  • I prefer them to be a bit heavier on the bass due to the genres I listen to
  • I would like a L-shaped plug if possible
  • Has to have the iPhone/iPod controls and mic
  • Needs to be comfortable to wear for long duration
  • Prefer to stay under $200 if at all possible

Current/Past headphones:
  • Klipsch S4 (current) - extremely comfortable/lightweight, solid soundstage, good bass - however, has a straight plug and the cable is a bit weak
  • Bowers and Wilkins C5 - IMO, GREAT sound, strong bass - however, has a straight plug, iPhone controls aren't that good and is not comfortable for long duration
  • Bose MIE2i - has an L-shaped plug, pretty comfortable, good iPhone controls - however, bass is weak and overall sound is just ok
  • SOL Republic Amps HD - good/strong bass, solid sound, good iPhone controls, flat cord that doesn't tangle - however, not comfortable
  • Etymotic ER6i - had these for several years, great sounding headphones, lightweight, great isolation - however, not the most comfortable (unless using the foam tips), and the bass was weak

That said, I'm not really looking for noise-isolating headphones like the ER6i, but something more like the S4 (isolates decently), since I walk to work in NYC and need to hear outside noise if necessary (loud siren/horn). Overall, I'm looking for a comfortable headphone like the S4 or MIE2i, something with great bass and overall sound like the C5, and has good iPhone controls for under $200. Let me know if you have anything in mind that fits the bill - it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Best,

`John

Nov 29, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 5
The UE TF10Vi, MTP Copper with control talk, MTP Gold are recommended and they sound great with these genres music.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the quick reply ZARIM! However, it looks like the TF10Vi's are $410 on Amazon and the MTP Coppers w/ ControlTalk are $399, which are well out of my range.

Also, I forgot to mention this in my post, but I will ONLY be using these headphones with my iPhone/iPod (which was probably apparently anyhow).

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Sounds like you might like the Phonak Perfect Bass. I've only heard them very breifly, but they do have some very nice quality bass. They're comfortable, and do have a mic with a single button. Unfortunately they also have a straight plug, but you can get an L-adapter if you really need it. The cable's really solid though so I wouldn't worry too much about it breaking at the jack.  They're $120 with the mic, last I checked.

Also, check out the for sale section here. You could probably get a TF10 for 150 and buy a cable with a mic separately. Not sure how uch the MTPC is going for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back