In love with AKG K501's
Jun 12, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
the difference between the K 501 out of a lower-range or midrange amp and out of something like the Max is very significant.

I'm considering buying a HA-1 + xxxx-headphone from Meier.

now, the 501 is known to be good with the HA-1.
But does the HA-1 show us some bass from these phones??
Or is the HA-1 too "mid-range" for that?

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #17 of 62
Tim: MacDEF pretty much covered it for me, except I only have the Maxed Out Home, not the Max.
wink.gif
But you won't hear me complaining about the MOH/501 combination.

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 62
This thread just remainds me that I have sold my HD580 just to get K501 solely based on discussions on this forum few weeks ago. And I have already been a new owner of K501 for few days.
Meanwhile I thought about what was the real "issue" with HD580 and if there even was any.
My experience with HD580 was almost purely singular i.e. except short comparison to HD600 I did not have any opportunity to compare them to any other good headphones. So the decision to sell them was based solely on the feeling and sound they provide and not on comparison to something better. One thought that struck me recently about that feeling was:
Does HD580, accidentally, contradict themselves? They seemed to me to be very detailed headphones, it was even easy with them to pick up each individual instrument or voice. With such a level of detail I however felt simultaneously missing something. Because I do not have my English rich enough I had picked up "veiled" as close adjective, even if that is probably not the exactly right one.
More likely I would describe the whole phenomena like this:
"Wow, I am hearing all different sounds and instruments with such detail, how is possible that it also looks like all the sounds seems so distant? Isn't it that such details can be percieved only from very close distance." "Lesser" phones do not suffer from that effect IMHO because they are simply lacking the convincing detail first. But HD580 and possibly HD600 too - though after I heard HD600 compared to my HD580, HD600 are still the option for me - produce to much detail and do not come with enough forward sound to back up. So in the result - they probably sound unconvincing compared to Real Life Sounds(tm). I simply cannot sit 10 meters from the source and hear details that are possibly percievable from one meter only. It is probably not very technical explanation, but I hope at least someone will understand what I meant
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 62
For Flasken: I am running AKG K501 from CORDA HA-1 and they do not seem to be short on anything.
On the other hand it looks like they are more inert to higher signal so I can turn my volume for some CDs (passages) a bit higher than with previous HD580, but in overall I listen on the same level (9 to 10 clock).

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 62
Any fan of the K501, AND deep impactful bass should try the K240S (55 ohmer)!

AKG is funny when it comes to power requirements...the K240S is boasted as one of their most efficient phones...yet without a doubt these are still one of the least efficient phones I've tried barring the K501 (and of course the K1000).

Jun 12, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
now, the 501 is known to be good with the HA-1.
But does the HA-1 show us some bass from these phones??
Or is the HA-1 too "mid-range" for that?

Flasken, I've not been fortunate enough to hear the HA-1 myself yet. However, some people (KurtW, Kelly, for two examples) feel that it's up there with some of the better amps, which would be a heck of a recommendation given its price.

Jun 12, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #22 of 62
Ok, here's my (501-owning and -loving) perspective:

Rule No. 1: Thou shalt enjoy the beautiful music coming out of thy AKG 501s
Rule No. 2: Thou shalt not claim they are neutral/accurate [<cough> Neruda <cough>]
Rule No. 3: Thou shalt enjoy the beautiful music coming out of thy AKG 501s

Jun 12, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Well, I wouldn't say the bass on the HD 600 is accurate unless you're using a high-end amp like the Max. With lesser amps, it's not quite as tight and not quite as extended. However, with the Max, I think only someone with tin ears could claim that the K 501 bass was more (or even as) accurate and just as extended.

Mac, I don't care WHAT amp you hook them up to, the HD600 will still have heavy bass. I don't care if it's the Max or the Sugden or whatever (and I've heard both), it may get tighter but it will still be exagerated. The K501 might not be as extended, but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
Mac, I don't care WHAT amp you hook them up to, the HD600 will still have heavy bass.

I'll have to agree with that one.

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
Mac, I don't care WHAT amp you hook them up to, the HD600 will still have heavy bass. I don't care if it's the Max or the Sugden or whatever (and I've heard both), it may get tighter but it will still be exagerated.

biggrin.gif
Hey, you're used to the K 501, it's your favorite headphone. As Einstein put it so well, it's all relative Sorry, couldn't resist
very_evil_smiley.gif

But the truth is somewhere in between, The K 501 objectively roll off faster than not only the HD 600, but also than Etys and Beyers (both of which are widely considered to have some of the most accurate and extended bass around). There's simply no way to argue otherwise. At the same time, the HD 600 have a slight upper-bass hump. So both headphones have flaws; the problem for me is that most people misrepresent both.

That said, you say you prefer quantity over quality -- that's not appropriate for this comparison. Both of these headphones have flaws in the bass, so neither provides absolute "quality" -- the comparison is more accurately described as lacking in low bass vs. an upper bass hump. You prefer one, I prefer the other. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with people who misrepresent either headphone (and, as is quite clear here, I'm not claiming one is better than the other).

Jun 12, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #26 of 62
ROTFLMAO!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I am sure that this is not the last time this topic will pop up in a thread. It always seems to come down to us defending our own listening preferences respective to each headphone by arguing technical specifications, doesn't it?

Tomato, tomahto... Enjoy the music, y'all
wink.gif

Cheers!

-j

Jun 13, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #28 of 62
Out of curiosity, what is everyone using as a reference point for the correct level of bass of any headphone? Are you comparing the headphone sound to your home speakers? Or maybe to a live performance?

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #29 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I am sure that this is not the last time this topic will pop up in a thread. It always seems to come down to us defending our own listening preferences respective to each headphone by arguing technical specifications, doesn't it?

I actually agree with you jpelg... which is why I'm now very careful when it comes to this topic to first talk about the HD 600 and K 501 objectively, and then state where my preferences lie. You'll also notice that I always praise both of them, and I never claim that one is better than the other
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:44 AM Post #30 of 62
Jesus ****ing christ, when will it end?

They are both great sounding headphones with the right amp, cables, and source, and CDs.

So it's just a matter of taste, really.

Just pick the one you like best, and enjoy.

I couldn't give a **** which one you pick, since it doesn't matter. All this pre-school playground bickering is pathetic, I can't take it anymore.

Make it stop, make it stop!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back