[IN KOREA] Amp / Dac for (probably)AKG K712Pro (please help)
Nov 22, 2016 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xelarok

New Head-Fier
First, thanks to all who take the time to read this and drop some knowledge.

So for the past 3 days I've been searching for some good headphones to buy.  I've got no real good experience before, just whatever was on sale.  

I've searched around the site for a few hours each day and some other sites (Mad Lust Envy's headphone reviews have been especially helpful) and have felt that the best choice I can make for my location are AKG K712 Pros.  I especially like that they are pretty highly rated for gaming and are suitable for music as well.  I guess my 2nd choice (it's a close 2nd too) are the Philips Fidelio X2's.  Both are in my price range.  I chose the K712's because I keep reading they are more natural, faster. and cleaner than the X2's with a bigger soundstage and directional input.  Then I read some reviews, especially by @AlexRoma that they can sound warm with a Pegasus II HP.  So I was like, done deal. 

Problem: every time I look for the Pegasus II HP, I only come up with (cyrillic?) websites.  I can't even tell what's going on, and there might be better choices available to me in Korea.  I know nothing about Korean headphones. Even so, I'll still need to get an amp.

For reference:
AKG K712 Pro ~ 450 to 550 USD (made in china version) depending on the deal.
Philips Fidelio X2 ~400 (Made in China Nov 2014 model)

Can anyone recommend some good Korean amps for headphones?  I'd guess I'd like a little more bass than what I've read the K712's deliver, but I don't want to sacrifice any crispness (I don't mean high pitched, I mean being able to hear the difference between a septuplets on the bass drum and a lazy roll on the bottom tom).  My music taste is eclectic: metal, blues, jazz, techno, piano, orchestra, game OST, hip hop, occasionally pop probably others too.  

Also soundstage is extremely important as these will be on my head most of the time for playing games (yea i know about the audio technica sound whoring headphones, but I keep reading that they make games less immersive and fun). 

Ideally I'd like to get away with something for less than USD$500 dollars, and I'm a little squeamish to spend that much.  200 is an easy purchase though.  The way the Pegasus II HD was described made me think that it would be a great value at 350.  

Ideally I'd like to get something with a USB input and an input I can connect to the headphone out on my laptop (Alienware 17 r3).  A pre-out might be nice, but the only speakers I have are Logitech Z-5500.

I could get a Gustard H10 for 450 I guess, I heard that's supposed to be stellar but I don't know anything about it.  
An Asgard 2 is 525
Schiit Magni 2 - 200, Magni 2 Uber - 250
Meier Corda Jazz is 650 
Chord Mojo ~700

Again thanks for your help!

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 6
I would like to know to because i am from Korea and still travel there once in awhile.

Nov 22, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Darkvoice 336SE tube headphone amplifier ($240)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111988575354?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Might also consider getting a Hifimediy DAC ($42-$70).
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 6
@PurpleAngel Thanks for the recommendation, I checked it out and the tech specs on it fit, but there will be a pretty hefty import tax I think.  I can get the dac no problem at the upper end of the price range. 

If anyone else has any input that'd be greatly appreciated.  Also, I don't know of any stores in Korea, but if anyone living here knows of places to check out amps, please drop a reply!

Thanks

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 6
I just noticed the Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp go on sale at Massdrop again.  Could this be what I am looking for?  Has anyone used this with the K712 Pro's?

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 6
I quite enjoyed my m9XX with the K7XX (close relative of the K712Pro, if not identical sounding). It's a really clean, non-harsh, un-affecting DAC/Amp that will present the K712 tone basically as intended. Great pairing if you don't have to spend too much more to get it out to Korea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back