In-front-of-you soundstage?
May 12, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #16 of 24
When listening to fully burned in Proline 750 headphones with a rudistor amplifier I must say they did NOT sound like headphones.

They sound more like being in a room with large speakers that extend all the way down to 13Hz. The low mids didn't emphasise, but everything else was slightly more forward, especially the deep bass. The sort of bass you could feel in your chest. For a headphone the bass certainly has a lot of slam and impact, I swear I could feel the bass in my entire body even though I was only listening to headphones.

If there is any "mud" coming from these "headphones" it must be a problem with the recording. I've listened to plenty of reference bass tracks on these and the bass is very deep, tight and spot on. Subwoofer bass feels like a subwoofer and distorted synth basses sound absolutely wicked.

I've listened to headphones all my life, and none of the ones I've heard have come close to the Ultrasones in their reproduction of a realistic width and depth and coherence of a soundstage, short of decent loudspeakers that is, but with loudspeakers you have to deal with room issues. With these there are no room issues, the sound is not coloured by the room, but rather by your ears and of course the headphones (no headphones are perfect, but these 750s come very very close and leave me wondering if the 2500s are the same or better or worse...I'm still planning on trying the 2500s. As it turns out my friend (who has the 750s that I listened to, the ones that were fully burned in unlike my own 750s which I foolishly sold, also has the 2500s and the 2200s (the ones with the gold coloured earpads) but hasn't used either of them as much as the 750s so I'll give them a test run later during the week if I can).

Ben

May 12, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K1000...

It has exactly what you are looking for.

Every other headphone mentioned in this thread is absurd in regard to the original question when seen up against the K1K. ALthough I would also add Jecklin floats and certain Stax models, which are also tilted to be pointing at the ears from slightly forward, and so fully open that the sound seems to be coming from open space. All other gimmicks need not apply. (s-logic, give me a break)

May 12, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #18 of 24
you can always add a bit of an airy effect with one peice of equipment, and then give it that colored rolloff/rollup with another piece, its how you piece it together.

and about those extremely seperated recordings, i only hear that in alot of vintage tracks. like when i listen to frank sinatra its like franks in the middle, and then all the instruments have their own mic's so far apart you cant hear anything but those instruments on that side. other than maybe the drums or something.

May 12, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it? I thought all Dolby Headphone sounds like that.

I thought the k701 is a good soundstager.

It only works with movies (where I really like to use it) as overall soundquality isnt that important factor in it, but soundstage and bass is. It completely destroys any fidelity in music use IMHO.

May 12, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It only works with movies (where I really like to use it) as overall soundquality isnt that important factor in it, but soundstage and bass is. It completely destroys any fidelity in music use IMHO.

from what I tried I wouldn't even recommend it for movies. It's horrible

May 13, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what I tried I wouldn't even recommend it for movies. It's horrible

I tried it with PowerDVD (it has that feature built-in), and it worked really well for me with some tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back