In-ears for lightweight travel
Feb 10, 2019 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mbphotox

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all

I'm looking for affordable in-ears that I can use for lightweight travel (trekking, backpacking, etc.) and maybe even for workouts.

I mainly listen to music with guitars, from singer/songwriter stuff (e.g. Jack Savoretti) to Blues rock (Joe Bonamassa, Aynsley Lister) and rock (Dire Straits, Uriah Heep, the Darkness, etc.), metal (Within Temptation, Nightwish, bullet for my Valentine, In flames, etc.), and some punk/rock-ish sounds (e.g. Papa Roach), and I love Norah Jones, to name just a few.

I really love my Beyer DT1350 for commuting and travelling around, but they are too bulky for backpacking trips.

So, are there any in-ears with a similar sound signature to the DT1350, removable cables, and at an affordable price?

If there's anything to be had at around 100-150 bucks, that would be awesome.

Edit: I do have a Fiio X5 II, but would mainly use these in-ears on my Cowon J3, because the FiiO weighs much more, and would need to be recharged on longer trekks.

Your help and suggestions are highly appreciated

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey all

I'm looking for affordable in-ears that I can use for lightweight travel (trekking, backpacking, etc.) and maybe even for workouts.

I really love my Beyer DT1350 for commuting and travelling around, but they are too bulky for backpacking trips.

So, are there any in-ears with a similar sound signature to the DT1350, removable cables, and at an affordable price?

If there's anything to be had at around 100 bucks, that would be awesome.

Your help and suggestions are highly appreciated
Hi, maybe check out the Final Audio E series. The E4000 maybe a bit over your budget by 20 bucks. They need a little oomph though. Come with detachable cables and are barrel shaped so that they are plug in and go. They are a 'warm sounding' Hope this is of help. Best of luck.

Feb 11, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Hey, thanks for the recommendation.

My current favourite is the iBasso IT01.
Seems to tick all my boxes feature-wise, and given my usual listening devices (B&W 685 shelf speakers, Beyer DT990 open circumaural headphones, and Beyer DT1350 closed on-ear headphones ), the frequency response might be my cup of tea..

Only drawback:
Most of the IEMs you find raving reviews for around here at head-fi are not available in Switzerland.

The Shure SE215 can be had, but they massively overexaggerate the lower frequencies (skullcandy style!), so the SE425 would have to be bought. At 230 bucks, not really "around 100" anymore, though.
Everything from small-ish brands, you won't find here, though. Even the IT03 I would need to import. (raising the cost by 30 bucks just for customs and taxes)

Feb 11, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Hi @mbphotox,

Honestly, I understand the issue with getting things, especially audio gear imported.
Where I am, I have to deal with the exchange rate which makes that even more fun, it's a good thing I don't have to deal with import or custom fees on top...

Regardless, for its value, the IT 01 cannot be overstated so if that is your preference, 30 bucks isn't going to make much difference to you at the end of the day given the value equated to the IT 01 averages in the $ 300 + category.
Not to mention iBasso customer service is top notch & beyond what most other companies, so in the unlikely event something happens, you will be well supported.

Just my humble opinion.

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 9
Buying from Asia can be very quick. Penon Audio do Express Delivery at a very good price and have excellent customer service. I've had earphones sent to the UK within 4 days

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Decided to get the IT01. Looked at a ton of different earphones, even considered the IT01s, but came back to the IT01, for several reasons:

- The slight boost in the bass and more "forgiving" mid tones is not going to be an issue, since I don't want absolutely linear playback when riding a plane or train, work out or hike through the backcountry.
- The IT01 seems to be an amazing bang for the buck and I'll mostly use my Cowon J3 to drive them.
- the 2.5mm cable is nice, but I don't have a DAP to connect to, so would always have to carry the adapter with me.
- It's 100 bucks cheaper and I decided to put these aside, because there's a pair of Grado RS2e waiting for me some day.. :)

(I just ordered a Garmin Instinct and passed on the Fenix 5, so there's another 150 bucks that went toward the Grado. Nearly half-way there :D )

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Good choice on the the IT 01, @mbphotox,

You won't be disappointed.

Though I will say IT 01s wouldn't have been an issue as the 2.5 mm comes with an adapter anyway but I don't use that connection all that much either.

If you ever change your DAP to the Plenue D, you might be surprised at the synergy with the IT 01.

I hope you're not considering taking the Grado RS2e for lightweight travel as since they are pretty much open, that won't obviously work for isolation.

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Don't want to start a new discussion, but how come the Plenue D has 50+ hours of battery life, when my FiiO X5 II cannot even dream to manage 10 with flac files?

Since it's going to be a 2 week trek, I bring my J3, because I cant recharge the FiiO every second day (the Nepalese charge you for using their power outlets). If the FiiO were able to play for 50 hours, the Cowon would've long been retired...

Re the Grado RS2e
Nah, want that for home use, with my Aristaios mk II tube amp.
Currently mostly using the DT990, but I fellin love with the Grado when I went testing mobile headphones (only tried that one because they happened to have it on display and I wanted to bust the myth surrounding it.. Always thought that was some weird "mystical" crap, like Eternal Arts amplifiers and the likes :D turns out, I was wrong... I went home with the Beyer DT1350 that day, though, because I needed cans to ride the daily train.)

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 9
The IT01 already arrived today.

I didn't have much time to properly test them, just plugged them into my X5II with the stock earplugs and tried some songs.

Currently listening to a 24 bit flac file of dark side of the moon and it's pretty amazing what these little beasts can do!

Leonard Cohens "you want it darker" is almost disturbing, located in the middle of the head with all the finest nuances of his voice present as if he was whispering into your ear.

My students asked me, why I bothered with such "expensive" earbuds and a chunky big music player... If I weren't such a germophobic, I'd have them try and hear for themselves... maybe, if I find a pair of plugs I will never use myself... (needless to say, I didn't mention the Grado RS2e on its way to me...)

First thing I noticed was the power hunger - or lack thereof. Whereas a setting of 60 on the FiiO is my starting point with the Beyer DT1350 (and 65 for the 250 Ohm DT990), I only need 50 for a reasonably high volume with the iBasso.

Reasonably high being a level that I only entertain for focused listening sessions, not daily commuting and travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back