In-Ear Vs. On-Ear
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

woopididi

100+ Head-Fier
hello guys,
i'm still on the search for new headphones, but don't know if i should get an In-Ear phone or an On-Ear one. i will be listening on the go, in the streets and basically anywhere out. i was considering to buy an ATH-ES7 from Audio Technica, and although it's sexy i don't know if i am willing to carry an On-Ear with me on the bus and such. on the other hand, there are In-Ears(IEMs, canals), which are designed for portability, but i have no idea how i am going to feel having earphones stuck pretty far in my ear canal. some people say it's painful because of the pressure and the underwater feeling is unbearable. one more point against In-Ears is that it might do more hearing damage due to the positioning(in the canal). i don't have a store nearby that i can test 'phones in so testing is out of the question, and i have no friends with In-Ears. do you know any way i can test the "feeling" or something like that of In-Ears in my ear?

so what do you guys say?? which route should i turn to? i have about 100$ to spend.
i'm really confused!
confused.gif

btw sorry for the book.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 6
Generally you can get On-Ear headphones that are better quality and cheaper than an IEM in the same price range. On-Ear will probably have more sound-stage, and the ES7's will probably have more isolation for noisy environments.

On-Ear will also be much more comfortable than IEM's, and I would recommend them over any IEM's.

The ES7's are good sounding headphones, so I'd go with them!

edit: They won't be too much for transporting around, and they will have more isolation.

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 6
To get a sense of how IEM works out, go to your local pharmacy and get some earplug. Wear them for a few hours and see how you feel about them.

Also, read the guide in my signature.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 6
IEM's won't damage your ears if you take care, and insert them properly. You don't need to jam them into your brain for them to work, and they'll isolate much better if you are exposed to lots of noise.

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To get a sense of how IEM works out, go to your local pharmacy and get some earplug. Wear them for a few hours and see how you feel about them.

Also, read the guide in my signature.

That is a good suggestion. IEMs are tricky to get used to at first, but I find that the isolation and comfort later on worth it.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 6
If you're in the US, but some JVC Marshmallows at Circuit City ($10), order some UE tips from DiscountHeadphones.com for $9. Play with the different tips. Check out the Kramer mod for these canalphones.

Then you can answer your question about canalphones in your ears for not much money. Plus you have a spare pair to keep in the car of backpack or....

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back