In ear - test fit
Oct 16, 2018 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deejayen

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying a pair of in-ears - probably Etymotic ER4 or one of the Grado models. However, I think my ear canals must be small or a funny shape, because I've tried some cheaper Sony and Sennheiser in-ears in the past and never managed to get them to fit. A few years ago I had some impressions made for custom in-ears, and the audiologist commented on my ear canals!

Anyway,is there a cheap way to find out if either of these in-ears will fit? I'm wondering if I could try something like a flanged ear plug (in the case of the Etymotics), or something like that. Incidentally, I've tried some foam and wax ear plugs, and couldn't get them fitted (I use the putty-like silicon ear plugs which mould into the outer ear rather than the ear canal if I need ear plugs).

I've been using Sennheiser MX 585 earbuds until now for general listening, but it seems this range has been discontinued, and I can't find any half decent earbuds, so I think I'll have to try to find an in-ear which fits.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Depends where you live. If your in Asia or China then you have a chance of going to some shops that have things like that to demo so would be able to try them there. If you are in the US or Europe things may be a little more difficult. I sympathize. My right ear is always a swine to fit properly. Maybe go back to the audiologist and get a set of impressions done for some tips for the etymotics or go full custom?

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for that. I'm in Scotland. I didn't want to go for another set of custom ones, but I'll try to find an audiologist who will advise me on fit for an off-the-shelf in-ear. It would be helpful to know what sort of off-the-shelf tips might work for me, or if I really do need a custom fit.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Etymotic ER20 uses the same triflange as ER4. If you can get a ER20 to fit, then ER4 shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back