IN-Ear Phones for ipod Classic? $150 Budget
Feb 12, 2008 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bcurko

New Head-Fier
Hey guys i have a ipod classic and really want to listen to my music with good audio rather then apples el cheapo headphones.

I need Canalphones that do the following
Have very good bass for my techno/trance music
Block out a lot of outside noise for my train trips
Are within the $150AUD Category i will go to $200 if ITS Absolutely necessary but i dont really want to be empty in the pocket nudge...

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 13
I found the EBs way too bassy for my liking. SF5Ps would work just fine. Used UM2s also ring in at around $200, another good choice. Personally, never heard of Atrio IEMs, but they seem to be a good choice too.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcurko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys i have a ipod classic and really want to listen to my music with good audio rather then apples el cheapo headphones.

I need Canalphones that do the following
Have very good bass for my techno/trance music
Block out a lot of outside noise for my train trips
Are within the $150AUD Category i will go to $200 if ITS Absolutely necessary but i dont really want to be empty in the pocket nudge...

Future Sonics Atrio (m5 or m8, no difference in anything but color).

Good bass? Check (perhaps the best bass response of any IEM).
Block out loud noise? Check (all IEMs will do this, but I used the Atrio on the NYC subway to block noise that would have deafened me while still listening at a low volume).
Cost? Check, I think. These can be had for about $130 US from roaddogonline. Not sure of the conversion rates, though.

Definitely a worthwhile investment that should play nicely with the iPod Classic.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 13
"Have very good bass for my techno/trance music"

You'll enjoy your train trips with any of several in-ears in your price range, so you should do well in your search ... but you'll really look forward to train rides with the Future Sonics. Worth waiting for if they're back-ordered, IMO.

I had hoped for a pair of UM2's, but didn't want to pay that much at the time for new ones, however much they appeal to me. However, unamped -- even out of an iPod Nano, currently my "airplane" DAP, not known for being a bass monster -- the Atrios handle bass-heavy music very well (I listen to all types of music, but have been pleased with how they convey bass and atmospherics for such artists as Massive Attack, Brian Eno, Moby, Portishead, and -- very good "train" music -- Ulrich Schnauss). Yet they also handle acoustic, oldies, world music and rock/pop very well (you get a bit of kick drum impact, which is nice).

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcurko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you provide some links for me to purchase them and there price?

Jaben Network

You can email them about it to ask the price and stuff.

I'm not sure about the price, probably around 40-60 (AUD).

Feb 13, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 13
The Denon C700 and the Atrio M5 are going to be your best choice. I own the X3 and X3i from Jaben and the build quality is less then par. the sound is good, but not as good as the Denon or Atrios:

Denon AH-C700

Look for road-dog-on-line on eBay for the Atrio's he will accept lower offers.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon C700 and the Atrio M5 are going to be your best choice. I own the X3 and X3i from Jaben and the build quality is less then par. the sound is good, but not as good as the Denon or Atrios:

DKaz which do like better the Denon or the Atrio M5/M8?

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 13
BRN, the Denon is more of a canalphone, so it doesn't go as deep or isolate as well as a true IEM. The Atrios is an IEM, isolates better as it goes deeper into the ear. I think you'd want the Atrios, for that reason alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back