In-Ear Monitors for Musicians with hearing loss
Feb 9, 2010 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Myles

New Head-Fier
Greetings all!
I'm new to the forums so I hope to tread lightly in search of information and advise. Please point me in the right direction to look if you know of anything that might be applicable to this topic.

So I am a musician and with my band things are starting to take off, lots of live performances to come this year and this is all good stuff except that I am hard-of-hearing.
By this I mean, I wear hearing aids because my hearing loss is so severe I cannot hear anything under shouting volume level and even then it is pretty muffled. Hearing aids are my saving grace as with some pretty high powered Phonaks I am able to reset my basic hearing threshold so that face-to-face talking is possible albiet with a lot of lip-reading.

I've always been a musician though as long as I can remember, I love vibration and I love what small window of sound I am lucky enough to perceive.

I spoke to an audiologist recently and they recommended that maybe In Ear Monitors would be the best path for me to take for my rehearsals and live performances.

Hearing aids used to be little analog ampfliers around the time that I got my first pair 20 years ago but they've developed into little super computers that digitally compress and alter the frequencies to match my hearing loss. This is pretty good for speech however music greatly suffers.

An example might be that any high frequency sound that is deemed out of my audible range by a hearing test, get's harmonically shifted down into a lower octave that I would hear better but of course this makes music sound different and more muddy because there are more sounds competing for the same frequencies.

The hearing aids also distort quite easily at loud volumes so again I am dealing with a loss of clarity in many musical environments.

Turning to IEMs I have heard that the leading makers have started doing custom profiling of musicians hearing and creating a custom frequency response for them, i.e. boosting the mids if they have a mid frequency loss. I am very curious about this as it possibly represents a development that could help me out.

Another audiologist also recommended that I experiment with an outboard equalizer plus headphones, so I have some options there as well if the IEMs cannot go far enough.

My prime concern would be if there is enough gain and headroom coming out of the IEMs without distorting so that I would hear enough with my level of low and high frequency loss.

Would this mean I am looking at the higher end options?

Anyhow, I am fascinated by the whole emerging industry for custom IEM solutions so would appreciate any pointers or resources I could continue my research in this area regarding hearing loss!

Thanks for reading.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 12
It might be an idea to try and chat with someone at one of the custom iem makers. JH Audio appears to have good knowledge of the audio requirements of musicians. Let us know what you find out, as some of us are getting older and near the time to start wearing hearing appliances.

B
atsmile.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 12
Considering that Jerry invented the iem, for one of the most famous hearing-challenged musicians, it would seem like a good idea.

And as with anything in audio, the person behind the board is at least as important as the equipment being used. Jerry would know a thing or two about monitor mixing...

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks guys, I am in contact with Beth Orliss who is listed as a recommended audiologist on Jerry Harvey's website so I am hopefully in good hands.

I will post anything I learn here over the next few weeks for those interested.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 12
While you are looking at custom monitors you might want to check out Ultimate Ears as well, Jerry designed a lot of their monitors as well. The two most recent ones they have released is a single monitor solution for musicians and the UE18-Pro, which Jerry didn’t design. Also if you don’t want to spend that much but want a custom monitor solution from an iem, you should read this thread.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While you are looking at custom monitors you might want to check out Ultimate Ears as well, Jerry designed a lot of their monitors as well. The two most recent ones they have released is a single monitor solution for musicians and the UE18-Pro, which Jerry didn’t design. Also if you don’t want to spend that much but want a custom monitor solution from an iem, you should read this thread.

Another audiologist recommended UE's to me too, so I will investigate both JH and UE's as they seem to be leaders in the field and may offer a more custom product for me.

My budget is about $1000 for the IEM's, I will need to buy a wireless kit as well which could be costly too.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundBite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent Jerry Harvey my audiologist's report and my JH-13 Pro's were tuned to my exact hearing loss. They work GREAT!! They fit great, sound great.

Wow, that's great news. I also got some hearing loss, but mine's unilateral - only my left is shot. If Jerry will be able to tune the customs for my bad left ear to make it even with my right, that will be amazing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Just a quick update, I've placed my order of JH13s except Jerry is going to be building me a custom circuit tuned to my hearing loss, the main issue is getting enough high frequency output gain without distortion but I feel I am in the best hands here!

I also made a mock-up of some custom art cause I love this kinda thing. Hoping to receive mine this week or next! Fingers crossed.

custom-iems.jpg

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, I am in contact with Beth Orliss who is listed as a recommended audiologist on Jerry Harvey's website so I am hopefully in good hands.

I will post anything I learn here over the next few weeks for those interested.

I just wanted to let the readers know that JH Audio can fine-tune your monitors to meet your listening needs. Myles had sent me a copy of his hearing loss and I then worked very closely with Jh Audio to make sure Myles had a sound that he was pleased with.

Great working with you Myles.

Beth Orliss
Hearingdynamics@aol.com

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Wondered if anyone has had experience with my hearing loss issue. I'm an upright bass jazz player, with a pretty significant high frequency loss in the right ear, small high freq. loss in the left. When I'm playing gigs with a band, I'm now having trouble hearing the OTHER instruments exact timing/beat, so I can synch mine with theirs. So as a result I discovered I was inadvertantly plucking the string just a millisecond or so BEFORE their beat, which allowed me to hear where MY beat was so I felt seucre. UNTIL, I realized this was causing me to play too far ahead of the others' beat, which pushed the time just enought to "tense up" the tune, make it sound uncomfortable and slightly out of rhythmic sync as a whole. Cats don't want to play with a time keeper who doesn't lay down a reliable foundation, and thats' the upright bass's job in jazz, not to mention other genres.   Sooo....I'm experimenting with hearing aids now, new ones called "Binax"; they're really great aids, but still don't address the problem enough. So I'm thinking would IEM's help me? Is it possible to combine one hearing aid with one IEM?  Would IEM's alone help this issue? Like maybe if I heard my SELF better in an IEM, would that allow me to lay back easier on the beat to synch with the others on the stand? Etc. etc. I would probably have to go wireless on an iem, so I didn't look like there was a hearing problem, if you know what I mean.  If I can lick this problem somehow, I don't lose my first love, playing jazz, well.  Thanks for all and any of your thoughts. 

Mar 28, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 12
Hello all,
I’m new to this forum and I’m also a bassist with severe hearing loss. Mine is hereditary and I’ve been deaf since I was 6. I’ve recently started searching for an IEM system with enough power and volume that I could use on stage to hear each band member individually as opposed to a “wall of sound” that I get with hearing aids. If someone could direct me to the appropriate person that can address this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back