In-ear adventures ... The more info, the harder it gets :) Advice, anyone?
Oct 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xstream

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've been browsing this forum for days to get a better perspective on "the best" in-ear phones. But the more i read, the more confused i get. So hopefully this thread helps me feeling secure in purchasing a high-end in-ear headphone. 

The problem is that i don't have any stores close by to test some out. All i find around here are mainly Sennheisers. 

So i need to decide and purchase one online. Since i'm from the Netherlands some brands aren't available here, like the Earsonic for instance. 

First off, let me try to explain what sound i like (excuse me for my grammar).
At home i have the Marantz SR8600 + iQ9 fronts, iQ5 rears and iQ6 center.
What i like about this setup is the vibrant mids, clear and crisp highs, without becoming too "sharp".
The lows are strong, with movies very dynamic and full, but with music a little too booming. I prefer them a little more tight.

In my car i've installed a Focal set recently with an Alpine headunit.
I absolutely love the lows of this setup. It's strong and tight. It sounds more defined and refined as my KEF's at home. The mids are excellent. Open and crisp. But the highs are a little too much / sharp.   

Don't mistake tight bass with low basses compared to the rest. I also enjoy the Dolby demo's with the low basses that you can feel and don't cut off. As long it's not getting fuzzy together with the rest, but it has to be natural. I feel it's too tiring having these constant basses when they normaly aren't there. 

I currently have the Sennheiser CX 400-II Precision. They sound good, but sound a little artificial at times. They tend a little bit to the low/bass end, feel a little closed and don't feel balanced to me. They just don't take me away. 

I hope this gives a picture of my taste for sound. 

I'm going to use them with the Cowon iAudio 9. Who, i read, make one of the best small mp3 players.

My first choice after the basic review searches was the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10. I ordered them already but the store told me they were sold out, and the expect new models at the end of October. While i was looking for a new store to buy them i read some more reviews and made me doubt the choice of the UE TF10's, like build quality, comfort and i read some things about a little sharp highs. 

Then i ended up here on this forum and a world opened up to me. Now i have way more brands and models to consider. 

I like the build of the Shure SE535's. They have improved the build and comfort compared to the 530s. But also they look comfortable for when lying on your head, in the airplane for instance, where the UA TF10's tend to stick out more? I've read many mixed responses here on the forums about these earbuds. 

Another candidate is the Westone 3 or maybe the Westone UM-3x, allthough i feel these will be too clinical for me, but correct me if i'm wrong. Allthough i read the Westone 3 is also quite bass oriented, warm and some mentioned i bit fuzzy compared to the TF10's or SE535's. 

The EarSonic SM3 are rated very high on this site. But they aren't available here. Also i was hoping to get one this week, because i travel the next week for a month and like to have a brilliant sounding headphone
smily_headphones1.gif
So ordering them abroad means i don't get them in time. 

I've also read good stuff about the Emotyc ER4's. Allthough they have multiple versions (8/S/P), not sure which one is what. 

I also read a lot of good reviews about the Klipsch S4. But i'm not sure if it's in their price class or in general. Maybe the X5 of X10 are candidates as well. 

And i feel having 3 drivers is "better". But maybe a single driver can be just as good? 

Any other suggestions?

Sorry my my long post, turned out longer than i 
thought. Hope someone can point me into the right direction. 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Xs.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 5
"Welcome to Head-Fi Xstream!  Sorry about your wallet."
ksc75smile.gif

You've made some fine choices already in the IEM market.  Yes, I understand there are lots of choices in the market now for IEM phones.  However, you will never know which one is perfect for you until YOU actually listen to them.

Therefore, my suggestion is to find a great online company that offers a no hassle 30 day return policy and order the IEM phones which most interests you.  Audition them for a few days and not just a couple minutes to really decide which one will suit you best sound, usability, and comfort wise.  Then keep the one that you find best and return the rest before you leave for vacation.  That would be my best advice to you.

Off the top of my head, here are some online companies and their return policies:

http://www.headphone.com/ - http://www.headphone.com/support/exchanges-and-refunds.php
http://www.soundearphones.com/ - http://www.soundearphones.com/about/return-policy/
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/ - http://www.earphonesolutions.com/returns.html

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #3 of 5
You sound like you are willing to spend a bit to achieve good sound, in which case you might be better off going for a series of cheaper purchases, work out how much you like them and then compare your opinions to other users who have your earphones and also other ones that they have to compare with. To me it seems like a game of snakes and ladders at time.

A good 'entry level' IEM that seems to be pretty universally praised is the DBA-02. You can buy a pair of those, and since so many other owners have them you can branch out from there towards any other sound that you like. I think IEM's are a very different experience from listening to home or car speakers, especially because factors like build quality and isolation come into pla 

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 5
hey recording

how about a pair of HiFiMan RE252 ?

I see you have one in your possession

how would you rate them SQ-wise ?

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys for the advises.
They are good advises but i'm a little impatient i guess
wink.gif

Normally i'd take my time but in a few days i leave for a month holiday, so i really liked to have something good and different from what i have now. 

So i've made up my mind after reading loads of user experiences and reviews.
I expect to get the Shure SE535's today or tomorrow.

The sound descriptions sounds like my thing, where the Westone 3, my other option, was described as being more warm / bass driven. And the UM3X are maybe too clinical. It feels to me Shure is balanced and neutral sounding without losing all the excitement.

Also the durable improvements compared to the 530's helped choosing. Together with comfort obviously.

So i hope i made a good choice. If not, i'll sell them and try something different
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back