In-ear. A Sound Engineer needing some recommendations
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Pillveke

New Head-Fier
Hey!
My klipsch s4 broke so i was thinking to buy a step up cause i found the klipsch a bit muddy anyways.
Im looking around $100-150,but depending on what i need i might go up/down in price.

I am a sound engineer, listening to lot of mixes on the go to try them out and i dont know the terms you use here that well when talking hifi, although i am a sound engineer so i know sound hehe.

Im so not updated in the hifi in ear market so i thought i could get some help.

I listen mostly to hiphop, 70s rock groove, alternative, hardcore, stoner. I like a tight spanking bass, but i am a more big picture guy so i know i like to hear the whole spectrum well.

To get a picture of what i use generally i have a setup of Adam A5X (love them!), Event TR8, Audioengine5 (little lacking in highs otherwise good for what they are).
I tried my brother Etymotic (dont know which version but in the $150 range and they were nice only i wished forjust a little more bottom)

I'm torn between having a flat in ear or not, i wanna enjoy the music but balanced and ofc i like a punchy bass, but in the big picture.

I know this must be a troublesome post to reply, but im looking for something mixing business with pleasure, i want a sweet warm and firm sound.

I will reply better but if anybody knows where im coming fom and can have a clue about recommendations i would be happy to hear them or disuss more to reach a nice conclusion.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 11
For $150, you could get 2-3 different pairs of IEM's that beat your old Klipsch. Maybe a Vsonic VC02 - then a pair of VSD1 - then maybe a pair of Soundmagic EB10...

Or if you are in the states and want to go to $180 for one really nice pair - there are some Sony MDR-EX7550 for sale on ebay (new) with no tax and free shipping - I haven't heard these, but did the research and was going to pull the trigger before realizing I just spent a bunch of money on customs and what was I? Insane??

The Sonys have gone for as much as $299 - and as a sound engineer, you might like them a great deal.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 11
One of the most balanced and accurate IEM's in your price range is the Hifiman RE-400 and it's under a 100 bucks.   As a sound engineer, isn't balance and accuracy what you are looking for?

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Or if you are in the states and want to go to $180 for one really nice pair - there are some Sony MDR-EX7550 for sale on ebay (new) with no tax and free shipping - I haven't heard these, but did the research and was going to pull the trigger before realizing I just spent a bunch of money on customs and what was I? Insane??

The Sonys have gone for as much as $299 - and as a sound engineer, you might like them a great deal.

Two minor corrections, though the first one more relevant when doing a search:

1.  The model is MDR-7550 (not MDR-EX7550, and in the Asian market they are sold as MDR-EX800ST, but they are the exact same IEM)

2.  Originally the 7550s sold for $350

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Two minor corrections, though the first one more relevant when doing a search:

1.  The model is MDR-7550 (not MDR-EX7550, and in the Asian market they are sold as MDR-EX800ST, but they are the exact same IEM)

2.  Originally the 7550s sold for $350

My bad - but the most pertinent piece of information you could have included was left out of the above post - what you think of them and if you (based on experience) think that they would be a good option for the OP if he wished to stretch his budget by a mere $30.

During my research on them, your opinions were considered.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 11
Great suggestions guys! Thanks! I will dig deep down in reviews of them and see if i can find a place displaying those to try.

Also about having an accurate sound, i sure need accurate sound when i work, but im only human and want to listen to music for enjoyment too. Tainted by workng with sound i ofc value an accurate sounding mix cause i like to hear everything that's going on even in the busiest mix, but i also want it to be fun and engaging to listen to, and in the studio world "accurate" doesnt necessarily mean it sounds awesome, but can be sterile and clinical as well.

I'm actually wondering if to up my budget a little and save up to really get the IEMs I want for the best sound, disregarding price as much as possible. Or settle for this for the time being.

By the way, any of you have experience with the Monster Gratitude? Im well aware that they are overpriced, but to me was the idea of them that was intriguing, mostly cause im a sucker for 70s sound. Saw they were only $99 at amazon, and here in sweden they aren't released yet and priced at ca $240 converted from SEK.

I might get them just because they are cheap now (even with customs taxes) as a fun buy, then focus my research a little longer here to find the best fit for me. They look sweet and i expect i would pay for a $100 sound for $200 with no sale so what are your thought? They intrigue me even though they might not be the best hehe

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 11
I am a big JVC fan. The JVC HA-FXT90 has received great reviews and looks very interesting. I haven't heard it yet though. It is a two driver IEM with carbon nanotube technology.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Victor-Headphones-HA-FXT90-Japanese/dp/B004VHAJJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372755473&sr=8-1&keywords=HA-FXT90

I have the JVC HA-FX40 though and am very impressed with that. Before you get turned off by the $15 price, you should read the reviews of it here. It has achieved cult status. It is the first IEM with carbon nanotube technology. It does need plenty of burn in though, and is not great right out of the box. Many here will probably say that it sounds much better than the Klipsch S4.

The JVC carbon nanotube HA-FX40 and HAS400 headphones(I have both ) remind me of electrostatic headphones(no, I don't have electrostatic headphones, however I have listened to them on a few occasions). The carbon nanotubes gives such great detail, nice highs, and great bass. If you never experienced a carbon nanotube headphone or earphone, you should try one.

Beware of IEMs that have a microdriver which goes inside the ear canal, as these can be very uncomfortable, especially if you have small ear canals. I have two of them and don't use them much due to their being very uncomfortable.

Jul 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 11
So i ordered a pair of Monster Gratitude for $99 at amazon. Felt like no money spent seeing how the dollar compares to swedish currency which makes it a steal, and then i can save up to work myself to the next step later in calm. I mean here in sweden the Gratitude sells for around $330(!!!), but to me $99 seems like the price i would pay if it was a no-name. Now im going crazy only having the stock IEM that came with my galaxy S4.

I was intrigued with them, and your suggestions really enlightened me, so dont think i dont appreciate all of you taking time to answer me here, but seeing the Gratitude on sale so cheap i thought i try somethng new. I'll be back here for sure when i got another budget ready, i mean you can never have enough headphones right?

I will post my impression of the Gratitude here after trying them out a while

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
So i ordered a pair of Monster Gratitude for $99 at amazon. Felt like no money spent seeing how the dollar compares to swedish currency which makes it a steal, and then i can save up to work myself to the next step later in calm. I mean here in sweden the Gratitude sells for around $330(!!!), but to me $99 seems like the price i would pay if it was a no-name. Now im going crazy only having the stock IEM that came with my galaxy S4.

I was intrigued with them, and your suggestions really enlightened me, so dont think i dont appreciate all of you taking time to answer me here, but seeing the Gratitude on sale so cheap i thought i try somethng new. I'll be back here for sure when i got another budget ready, i mean you can never have enough headphones right?

I will post my impression of the Gratitude here after trying them out a while

So what are your impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back