In-depth Preview of the new Soundblaster X-Fi
Aug 23, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #107 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot
I said $130 is too much because there is EAX support in cards under $50. However I'll admit that I never use EAX in games and don't know much about it, I have an Intel motherboard that comes with some chip that includes EAX, and when I did try to use it, the audio "effects" were lame as hell, often overprocessed to the point of clipping, and typically distracting.

Albeit I bet it's either EAX 3.0 or EAX 2.0...not to mention they are software rendered..

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #110 of 212
I've just spent a couple hours with the 2 cards and feel the same way. My fun consisted of 1 female-->2 male 1/8ths and dual foobars
icon10.gif
Both cards had there own foobar. Then I resized them, spun them around, split vertically, resized em again, and finally set one to the left and the other to the right. I had no idea what was what. I'd play a song on foobar right, and follow up with the same song on foobar left. When I liked one side better than the other, I'd simply hit the mute button on my keyboard. The song went away and I knew it was the x-fi, as it's the primary card.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TempestX
Like it is smooth and laid back but with more clarity in the music.

X-Fi's more pleasant on the ears than the revo 5.1, can't agree with you more. I'm even starting to have more fun with the cmss. It works well with instrumental music, like Bond (the 4 hot chics).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot
I said $130 is too much because there is EAX support in cards under $50. However I'll admit that I never use EAX in games and don't know much about it, I have an Intel motherboard that comes with some chip that includes EAX, and when I did try to use it, the audio "effects" were lame as hell, often overprocessed to the point of clipping, and typically distracting.

Well, I've used the revo 5.1 in BF2 with sensaura mode and "overprocessed" would be understating it. I'd be low crawling next to a tank without even realizing it...the damn grass was too loud.
eek.gif

Cheers from the Battlefield,

Jod :wink:

EDIT: Just got done cutn'paste the crap out of the guru review. Sometimes I like to read it off print, ya know? But one question, why can't there always, ALWAYS be a printable version so I don't have to go clicking and clicking...any firefox plugs guys?

Aug 23, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #111 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh
I've just spent a couple hours with the 2 cards and feel the same way. My fun consisted of 1 female-->2 male 1/8ths and dual foobars
icon10.gif
Both cards had there own foobar. Then I resized them, spun them around, split vertically, resized em again, and finally set one to the left and the other to the right. I had no idea what was what. I'd play a song on foobar right, and follow up with the same song on foobar left. When I liked one side better than the other, I'd simply hit the mute button on my keyboard. The song went away and I knew it was the x-fi, as it's the primary card.
eek.gif

So can I clarify that there is NO problem with having ANOTHER soundcard in the same computer as the X-Fi?

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #112 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by net_dos
What the heck is floppy power used for?

I am guessing, but if it is anything like my Audigy 4 Pro, the floppy power is to power the breakout box. Initially, I did not connect the power to the card because I did not know what it did. My optical in/out and my firewire port did not work. After I plugged it in everything works.

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #113 of 212
Hmmm... I'd agree bout the positioning on Envy cards being rather bad >.> When I played halo with my AV-710... an ugly bugger ten metres away sounded like he was just next to me >.> (playing with headphones)

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #114 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by YW_Slayer
So can I clarify that there is NO problem with having ANOTHER soundcard in the same computer as the X-Fi?

I have been able to run dual soundcards on an intel 865pe/aa8xe and nforce 3 250gb chipsets. If you have issues, keep the pci latency tool in mind. It's helped me out of jams before. Other than that, switching pci slots can make/break a deal too. Good luck!

I never could get the revo 5.1 to give me proper DD for my klipsch 4.1's. The only thing I had it in there for was music. I'll be throwing it up for sale as soon as I finish moving (2-3 weeks).

As far as x-fi goes, it's the only thing in my rig now.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #115 of 212
Sensaura eax-solutions are BAD. They suck even compared to the sb Live. As those cards don't have any dsp's the processor is forced to do the processing. Reverb is totally off and sounds have a tendency to sound either really loud or quiet.

There is basically NO eax support in any cards other than Live/Audigy/X-Fi series. Sensaura is an emulation at best.

Try to play Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with a sensaura device and then with the A2. Then you'll understand.

I would say all the other cards that "support" EAX are ripoffs not x-fi that has a host of new gaming features. They aren't fully supported yet, but I think they will be as X-fi gathers momentum. This is a chip that is very future proof and it will stay with us for years to come.

Aug 23, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #116 of 212
Ahem, Creative bought Sensaura. Not just buying a competitor, but buying something they didn't know how to implement themselves well (3D positional audio in headphones from multiple discrete surround sources).

Yes, Sensauras environmental (echo/delay/reverb) effects were somewhat lacking, esp. when used through the EAX API using EAX standard preset thinking, but the 3D headphone positioning was not bad. And still isn't, considering Creative used it as one of the building blocks for X-Fi headphone positioning CMMS-headphone algorithm.

Aug 23, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #117 of 212
Ok without reading the entire thread, does the XFi have a comparable DAC to the 1212 or 0404? Does it still upsample everything like the the A2zs?

I could care less about the Crystalizer and all the EQ options that Creative is pushing, but I want a card that can game and at the same time produce good stereo sound.

Aug 23, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #118 of 212
If you use "Creation Mode", I believe you can play back 44.1 content at its native sample rate, although all DSP effects will be disabled. However, the digit-life review compared this output to 44.1->48 resampled output and there wasn't a significant measurable difference.

Aug 23, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #120 of 212
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Ahem, Creative bought Sensaura. Not just buying a competitor, but buying something they didn't know how to implement themselves well (3D positional audio in headphones from multiple discrete surround sources).

They bought Aureal who had way better headphone positioning than Sensaura or Creative. And that was years ago. I doubt that they will use anything technology wise from Sensaura.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back