In a Fight between Superman, Batman, and Duran Duran, Who Would Win?
Oct 7, 2009 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

catachresis

Headphoneus Supremus
All these threads about band lineups have got me thinking similar but slightly more existential imponderables.

So is it
images

or
images

or
DuranDuran_UK_PressKit_1981.jpg

Yeah, I know. Easy question, Duran Duran would kick both their asses.

But I mean seriously if you got
images

to tag-team with Superman, don't you think they'd have a fighting chance?

[Don't grimace--your face will stick that way. Besides, I might have made this a poll.]
wink_face.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 19
It would be Batman.

More specifically, Adam West's Batman. The other Batmen are entirely too serious (especially that leaden, one-note Christian Bale) and Superman has never been campy enough.

Duran Duran does have 1980s hairstyles working in their favor here, however, their teenage girl heartthrob status mitigates that.

Boy George can certainly contend for camp value, though he has some artistic ambitions. I thonk you would need to add a larger factor, like Dragonforce, Poison, Gary Glitter, or the Meaty Cheesy Boys to top West's Batman.

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 19
Guys, Guys! You can't be too reductive about this. It's not just about who is stronger, or who enjoys a larger fanbase of twelve-year-old girls, or forty-five year old girls (both sets to Duran Duran) or thirty-year-old boys (Dio--no contest, though BG's following is a significant percentile). It's not about who's got the best exposed vinyl underpants (Adam West? Thom Yorke?), or who has a haircut that could cut pennies and slice ripe tomatoes equally well (tossup Superman or DuranDuran Regular--not Unleaded). It's not about who you're most afraid of encountering while you're having a pee in a dark alley outside a bar late at night (question: is Batman the least threatening option here?).

It's about style. It's a certain timeless elegance -- un je ne sais quoi. It's the Louvre Museum, a Strauss symphony, a Bendel bonnet--Hell, it's Micky Mouse. It's the one you can count on to go ten rounds with Osama Bin Laden and bite off his ear lobe in the third.

Damn it, camp is not enough. He's got to be camp as Christmas.

If you're going to have to page through twelve issues of Crisis on Infinite Earths plus an Annual, there's going to be an awful pile of super-bodies at the end. Who's standing in the blood-red dusk at the pinnacle with his foot on top of Booster Gold?

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Superman has never been campy enough.

Good lord, Erik, that's the most surprising opinion I've heard in a month of Sundays.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good lord, Erik, that's the most surprising opinion I've heard in a month of Sundays.

Dude, there's no such thing as a month of Sundays.
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, there's no such thing as a month of Sundays.
tongue.gif

Hmm. That might explain why I keep missing dentist appointments.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Barbra Streisand

That settles it. Though I think Liza Minnelli could have taken her twenty years ago. I wouldn't want to have been the janitor who would have had to mop the blood off of the ring either.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Best exposed vinyl underpants?

That would be none other than Butt Boy, of Dread Zeppelin.

Tortelvis could hold his own, as well, in sheer camp value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back