IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #751 of 948
Does sound interesting as the first time we have the planar & electros together.

You do know the Semper is this too right which makes the Semper the first time they are together.
Semper and PB2 use different DD with the Aten also having the piezo.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #752 of 948
I can kind of see both sides. I'm very happy with the Halcyon but my friend who got them too was annoyed the Opus came out straight after as he would have waited for that had he known. It has kind of devalued them in his head. He still ordered the Semper.

For me I got a great pair for a great price and that is what I ordered but I would rather have the Opus if they fit better.

I love the Halcyon, but I would have got the Opus if I had known (even more considering I bought the Halcyon after the latest cancellations). It's ok, as I said I still love them so no major regrets :)

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #753 of 948
Can confirm the estats require more power to sound good.

Agreed, and the Halcyon also scale better than the Rah IMHO.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #754 of 948
I saw that many people are listing their RAH and I think it is a mistake. For those people that do not have EDP and sometimes drive their IEM from their mobile phone, RAH is the perfect compliment.
The electrostats treble has been inferred from previous post to require more power to sound good. For me, I will keep RAH for using with mobile phone and Semper for DAP.
Will only sell the RAH if there is RAH driver configuration in the new shell with the original sensitivity.
I've been listening to my EDPs almost exclusively since getting them and really enjoying them, but today plugged the RAH back into my head and they are truly exceptional. Far more detail than the EDP and of course all of that depth & quantity of bass. I've been considering selling them to help fund a Semper but after an other great session with them today have de-listed them and am just going to them and enjoy them. It's true, the next, the latest and the greatest is always right around the corner but that doesn't mean what youve (I've) got isn't also outstanding.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #755 of 948
I've been listening to my EDPs almost exclusively since getting them and really enjoying them, but today plugged the RAH back into my head and they are truly exceptional. Far more detail than the EDP and of course all of that depth & quantity of bass. I've been considering selling them to help fund a Semper but after an other great session with them today have de-listed them and am just going to them and enjoy them. It's true, the next, the latest and the greatest is always right around the corner but that doesn't mean what youve (I've) got isn't also outstanding.
That happens to me every time I put in my atens, by the way! Silver bottoms from
The rah make the soundstage on the atens the biggest I’ve hear in an iem

Aug 20, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #756 of 948
Agreed with you guys on Rah.
@holsen, Rah is like old wine.
@AlexCBSN, with my new cable, silver nozzle blue fliter is best on Rah as you said. This new cable seems to transform Rah into a bass head IEM on Black nozzle blue filter.

Whenever I roll back to Rah after R3 and PB1, I find Rah to be more accurate on vocal to my ears.

Attachments

• B910EAE6-FE4D-4684-9A8E-1A1FCC84F63E.jpeg
    B910EAE6-FE4D-4684-9A8E-1A1FCC84F63E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #757 of 948
Agreed with you guys on Rah.
@holsen, Rah is like old wine.
@AlexCBSN, with my new cable, silver nozzle blue fliter is best on Rah as you said. This new cable seems to transform Rah into a bass head IEM on Black nozzle blue filter.

Whenever I roll back to Rah after R3 and PB1, I find Rah to be more accurate on vocal to my ears.
Would you remind me what cable this is?

I’m up for suggestions on cables everyone. Trying to avoid AliExpress and the lot. Trying to avoid spending $900 too! :money_mouth:

I’m looking at Dunu’s upcoming DUW-03, SPC, or something higher-end from them even. Dunu’s adapter system that lets you switch connector on the fly is very interesting as I’ll be using 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4 in the near future if all goes according to plan.

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #758 of 948

That's interesting. I find the Halcyon more accurate, in particular as the Rah still exhibits sibilant upper-mids/treble on some recordings (although way less than previous models). Halcyon is instead clean and smooth.

Aug 21, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #759 of 948
Would you remind me what cable this is?

I’m up for suggestions on cables everyone. Trying to avoid AliExpress and the lot. Trying to avoid spending $900 too! :money_mouth:

I’m looking at Dunu’s upcoming DUW-03, SPC, or something higher-end from them even. Dunu’s adapter system that lets you switch connector on the fly is very interesting as I’ll be using 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4 in the near future if all goes according to plan.

@monsieurfromag3, I bought raw from AE and fabricate it myself. There is no ready made or in the market for this conductor.
Agreed that Adapter system is very flexible, cost saving and the way forward.

This is the cable from AE Hakugei.

Attachments

• D619248D-5D3E-4B5B-AD5F-554F3BFF797C.jpeg
    D619248D-5D3E-4B5B-AD5F-554F3BFF797C.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #760 of 948
That's interesting. I find the Halcyon more accurate, in particular as the Rah still exhibits sibilant upper-mids/treble on some recordings (although way less than previous models). Halcyon is instead clean and smooth.

Yup, Halcyon or R3 is the best among the current IMR range I have in term of taking care of sibilance. And some touched on linearity as well that I feel TOP notch, from Low to High (acceptable) volume on my MAX it still output the same amount of details. Impressive. Think Opus Mia should be even better becoz of better fit.

And couldn’t disagree on certain recordings on Rah.
My ears is prone to sibilance. I would normally gauge my tolerance level based on tacks by Scorpions Best album, In Trance (live) and I’m Going Mad. Some of the tracks also have sibilant and splashing treble. If my ears can except then I should be good with the rest on those s..z..etc speeches.

Its this Album that I always prefer Rah. The bass rhythm and sub bass down below seems to be addictive to me, and doesn’t mean losing mids and treble on silver nozzle and blue filter. Vocal dead center and pitch is just nice to my ears. Well, that’s my personnel opinion off course where yours could differs.

Anyway, we tend to hear differently across the audio range including expression. So long as individual achieve enjoyment or musical satisfaction once we have any of our IMR in our ears, nothing else matters.

And Semper could be our summit. Bob put this to me, you will get all you want in Semper.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #761 of 948
Bob put this to me, you will get all you want in Semper.
*drooooliiing* 🤤
*snaps jaw shut* Sorry about that.
DIY cable-making - cool project. The result is looking good!

Aug 23, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #763 of 948
Hi guys, I just ordered the Opus, what improvements will I find compared to the Rah? are the electrostatics more detailed?

regards

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #764 of 948
My Halcyon has approx.94 hours on them now. I hooked them up to my surround amplier and am now running high powered juice to them. I think this will shorten the burn time and in 48 more hours, this process should be complete!!

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #765 of 948
Hi guys, I just ordered the Opus, what improvements will I find compared to the Rah? are the electrostatics more detailed?

regards
There's definitely more detail from what I'm hearing.
The Opus Mia with the discount is such a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back