IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #601 of 948
LAST FEW BUILD SLOTS LEFT ?????

So just Bob knows... 1-10??

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #602 of 948
Buy all the Sempers please guys....it's been tough sticking to my 5+ year old self-imposed rule against $1,000+ IEMs. The struggle is real....and I've never even so much as heard an IMR set before. I feel that old "sickness" creeping back into my head after so many years of thinking I had successfully dispelled it, LMAO.

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #603 of 948
Buy all the Sempers please guys....it's been tough sticking to my 5+ year old self-imposed rule against $1,000+ IEMs. The struggle is real....and I've never even so much as heard an IMR set before. I feel that old "sickness" creeping back into my head after so many years of thinking I had successfully dispelled it, LMAO.

Just do it. Last chance :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :deadhorse:

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #604 of 948

Just purchase the Red B stock and then purchase the Semper or Opus Mia with a VERY significant discount, in total spend still significantly less than $1000+ IEM's and receive not 1 but 2 never even heard before IMR sets.

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #605 of 948
1596901707823.png

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #607 of 948

It's well under $1k with the discount code... it wouldn't break your rule at all~ I guess not a previous customer though.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #608 of 948
It's well under $1k with the discount code... it wouldn't break your rule at all~ I guess not a previous customer though.
As I stated that I have not even so much as heard a IMR set before, that is a great guess, hahahaha. Though, to be fair, i guess it is possible to have bought from IMR but never listened to it.
-------------
I appreciate all the advice to buy another model to get a discount, but simply based on what I've read (I know, not the most exacting way to make audio buying decisions), I'm really not interested in anything but the Semper right now, and I am most definitely not a collector. I will be making only one IEM purchase over the next ~12 months, though kind of expecting to buy before end of 2020. I'll likely just stick to my guns and wind up with a more known quantity in the $750 range. I'm just pretty conservative with my hobby-directed consumer dollars.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #609 of 948
As I stated that I have not even so much as heard a IMR set before, that is a great guess, hahahaha. Though, to be fair, i guess it is possible to have bought from IMR but never listened to it.
-------------
I appreciate all the advice to buy another model to get a discount, but simply based on what I've read (I know, not the most exacting way to make audio buying decisions), I'm really not interested in anything but the Semper right now, and I am most definitely not a collector. I will be making only one IEM purchase over the next ~12 months, though kind of expecting to buy before end of 2020. I'll likely just stick to my guns and wind up with a more known quantity in the $750 range. I'm just pretty conservative with my hobby-directed consumer dollars.
I didn't buy Netscape, I missed out on Amazon, I blew it and sold Apple in 2009. So, IEMs are my attempt at irrational exuberance.
I totally respect your integrity.

I, myself have absolutely none...

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #611 of 948
Short background on me: I have previously owned the IMR R1, IMR R1 Zenith, IMR R2 Aten, and IMR Rah. My reference IEM is the Sony MDR-EX1000.

I will offer up my mini comparison of PB1 vs. Halcyon.

I've only just just broken in each for my preferred crazy duration (16 days for Halcyon, 14 days for PB1) playing pink noise. I may want to append or adjust these impressions later since at this point I'll only be going on about two hours of listening on each.

I'll skip over all of the build quality, dimensions, driver configuration, etc. that everyone reading this thread should be aware of. All of this listening has been done using a Fiio X7 Mk. II using the Fiio AM3D THX AAA amp. Also, the filters are purple/purple and the cable is a Plussound X Series pure copper. Tips are MandarinEs Symbio W.

Bass: More midbass for the Halcyon. The PB1 is more balanced. I won't say that the Halcyon is "bloated," but I will say that I prefer the better relative extension and balance of the PB1. The Halcyon has more "thump" in a mainstream way, but I don't like it as much as the PB1's balance. Granted, I'm sure the Halcyon has every bit as much extension as the PB1, but I think it has a midbass bump that masks that.

Midrange: PB1 has a planar driver and the Halcyon doesn't. The PB1's midrange is more forward and has abilities that the Halcyon doesn't possess. This will probably make most people prefer male vocals on the PB1.

Treble: This is where things diverge greatly.

Halcyon: First off, I tried purple/blue, which was my preferred combination with the Rah. But, wow, that was a lot of treble. Not harsh, just too much. I backed down to the green top filter since I knew gold would be too dark, but it was also a bit too shy on bite. I switched to purple, and that was sweet spot of amplitude and dynamics (I listened to the Halcyon first, which is why I also used the purple/purple combo on the PB1 as well, to make an apples-to-apples comparison).

The treble on the Halcyon with its "electrostatics" (maybe they're the Sonion electrets, who knows but Bob) just annihilates the PB1. In passages with complex material, the PB1 just sounds like "shhhhhhhhhhhh," while with the Halycon you can actually hear the individual instruments.

I don't think I can put a finer point on it than that. While the PB1 has better bass, and better midrange, the treble articulation that the Halcyon can produce makes it the better choice for most people, if you listen to music as loudly as I do. If you listen to music relatively quietly, the PB1 might be the better choice. At moderate to high volume, or with complex passages, the PB1's ceramic piezo gets saturated and things can sound blurry. The PB1 can have improved treble articulation at lower volumes, but it still won't match the Halcyon. I don't know what the ceramic piezo's role is with the Halcyon, but it's quite diminished.

Yes, I listen to things loud. Not hearing loss in five minutes loud, but pretty damn loud. IMR products need medium to high levels to sound their best, and some reviewers out there should understand that. Wink, wink, ahem. Throwing your "four watts" of micro iDSD Black Label at a set of IEMs if you don't turn the volume knob past "Is this loud? I can still hear my heartbeat, so maybe not? I'm not sure."

Anyhow, I look forward to feedback, criticism, and people telling me I'm deaf or I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm also going to cross-post this on the Rah thread since that's where the PB1 action seems to be.

Aaah this just made me buy the semper!! Too many reasons to combine all the drivers!!

I have the PB1 and I am still waiting on the halcyon. I was fairly convinced I would be happy to stick with the halcyon and that semper wouldnt be a huge leap forward once again but from what you have said the drivers would work really well together.

Damm you!! Haha

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #613 of 948
Long time lurker. First time poster. I’m am deciding to either go for the Opus Mia or the Semper as it’s my 6 Birthday tomorrow so it’s my birthday present to myself.

I wanted to ask, how can I get the 50% off either as I want to buy one for my collection before the IMR bubble bursts. I don’t want to pay retail as I can see everyone (if not all getting huge amounts off on fire sale prices. I could never purchase at retail prices, as the price seem to be hugely inflated to be brought down. I love value brand, that can offer this is there website for coupon code etc?

This is my total IEM potentially and my “end game” so want to make correct decision.

Stay safe.

Brian

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #614 of 948
Long time lurker. First time poster. I’m am deciding to either go for the Opus Mia or the Semper as it’s my 6 Birthday tomorrow so it’s my birthday present to myself.

I wanted to ask, how can I get the 50% off either as I want to buy one for my collection before the IMR bubble bursts. I don’t want to pay retail as I can see everyone (if not all getting huge amounts off on fire sale prices. I could never purchase at retail prices, as the price seem to be hugely inflated to be brought down. I love value brand, that can offer this is there website for coupon code etc?

This is my total IEM potentially and my “end game” so want to make correct decision.

Stay safe.

Brian

You could buy the IMR Red B stock for £170 which should give you the discount code and a cracking pair of IMR earphones while you wait for the Semper.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #615 of 948
Tips

I've been using Tennmark tips (red core) with the RAH and initially the Halycon however recently they are not working well, slipping out of my ear and to be honest not sounding great.

I've been using the foam tips (comply?) That came with the Halycon however although they fit great they do put a bit of a veil on the sound.

Give me some pointers folks preferably UK based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back