IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #512 of 948
Some brilliant info regarding EQ’ing but from a mixing and mastering perspective, still worth a read though if anyone feels they need help in what they are hearing and wish to adjust it either with EQ or filters.

http://www.samw.org/Sound/MagicFrequencies.htm

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #513 of 948
So are we all going to consider the Opus Mia as a Halcyon in the same context as we do with the PB One and Rah and not create a thread about the Opus Mia just like the PB One has none.

I think this is one of the most under appreciated things about the drivers inside the models and flys under the radar until they reach the end user. The PB One is quite different to the Rah so it would seem the Opus Mia should be different to the halcyon in tuning terms whilst on paper it is a reshelled Halcyon.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #514 of 948
Confirmed

78D5177F-C4ED-4732-B259-B3F6A80EEBF7.png

Interesting. We did both kind of think there was more than the increased planar size going on.

Also interesting as when we were speculating where Bob could go after the Semper you were right with better drivers.

That means I'm probably going to want to keep buying them. I thought I could be done with the Semper.

It would seem to go
Aten
Red
Rah
PB One/Halcyon

So Semper and Opus Mia are fifth generation and Aten used as a descriptor to say what driver it is, is not saying the specific driver in the Aten, more of a descriptor to say composite beryllium and ceramic piezo.

Yes that looks correct. I look forward to the 5th gen as the 4th sounds great. I'd always thought it was the same driver tuned slightly different.

Yeh we got that but it just seems like red should be more of a side grade no?

Well whichever way we know that Bob did something to it before putting into new iems. Meaning there will be improvement.

Speculating here but maybe the red wasn't a sidegrade but allowed Bob to experiment & get more out of the design. As the red has a smaller dd I think but sounds like it still sounds great.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #515 of 948
Interesting. We did both kind of think there was more than the increased planar size going on.

Also interesting as when we were speculating where Bob could go after the Semper you were right with better drivers.

That means I'm probably going to want to keep buying them. I thought I could be done with the Semper.

I do love a good piece of speculation lol.

It is on good authority that if you have Semper you don’t need anything else, but then that crazy guy goes and thinks up and creates something just a little more out there. So I speculate in 12 months time we will be looking at the semper the same way we do now about the Zenith and looking at our bank accounts crying.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #516 of 948
So are we all going to consider the Opus Mia as a Halcyon in the same context as we do with the PB One and Rah and not create a thread about the Opus Mia just like the PB One has none.

I think this is one of the most under appreciated things about the drivers inside the models and flys under the radar until they reach the end user. The PB One is quite different to the Rah so it would seem the Opus Mia should be different to the halcyon in tuning terms whilst on paper it is a reshelled Halcyon.

I am weighing this up and whether to purchase the Opus Mia. I absolutely love the Halcyon so a potentially upgraded one is very tempting. Would also maybe give a good sense of the fit of the Semper.

I don't expect it to be an upgrade like Rah to PB1 tho but who knows. Would have to sell the Halcyon to fund it also.

It is on good authority that if you have Semper you don’t need anything else, but then that crazy guy goes and thinks up and creates something just a little more out there. So I speculate in 12 months time we will be looking at the semper the same way we do now about the Zenith and looking at our bank accounts crying.

Many a true word said in jest.

It still blows me away that the Aten was about a year ago and the trajectory since then has been crazy.

I hope you are right but it will probably be a headphones or gf decision by then.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #517 of 948
Would also maybe give a good sense of the fit of the Semper.

Literally and exactly what I’m thinking lol. It has been in my basket and out and in....

I don't expect it to be an upgrade like Rah to PB1 tho but who knows.

See this is my point above that it is such an underrated thing, we did not know anything about PB One drivers except a larger planar and it is a different IEM, larger shell and planar and something is different with the Aten driver and by Aten that means DD and/or piezo is potentially different. So Opus Mia is different shell, gen 5 Aten so we know DD and/or piezo is different. Even Aten and Red are the “same” yet totally different yet all on paper are “the same”. All totally under appreciated yet many buy multiple BA set ups and on paper are the same.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #519 of 948
Literally and exactly what I’m thinking lol. It has been in my basket and out and in....

See this is my point above that it is such an underrated thing, we did not know anything about PB One drivers except a larger planar and it is a different IEM, larger shell and planar and something is different with the Aten driver and by Aten that means DD and/or piezo is potentially different. So Opus Mia is different shell, gen 5 Aten so we know DD and/or piezo is different. Even Aten and Red are the “same” yet totally different yet all on paper are “the same”. All totally under appreciated yet many buy multiple BA set ups and on paper are the same.

I totally agree with you there. It has been interesting to find out this has been the case. Bob has been even busier than I thought.
It's more of a money thing really plus I already own 4 IMR's with the Semper to come. I don't need 5 so was thinking of keeping 2 with the Semper. Then the Opus comes along and blows that plan.

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #520 of 948
I totally agree with you there. It has been interesting to find out this has been the case. Bob has been even busier than I thought.
It's more of a money thing really plus I already own 4 IMR's with the Semper to come. I don't need 5 so was thinking of keeping 2 with the Semper. Then the Opus comes along and blows that plan.

I’m at 4 too and intend to keep them all plus whatever else including Semper.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #521 of 948
Haha didn’t realise the loyalty discounts would be that significant. :p

Yeah, Odin, Nio, Luna, Sultan and Thummim are on my radar now. Was mainly waiting for the Odin to make my final decision then this pops up. If I were to go for the Luna/Nio I’d probably be able to afford the Semper on top of that but I don’t want to own more than 2 IEMs. Anything more than that and I feel that it’s an absolute waste as I can’t dedicate enough time.

At the moment I’m just leaning toward the Thummim then quitting audio altogether lol.

I have the Dunu Luna and Dunu 17th special edition are in mint condition. If you are interested, please PM. We can work out a deal.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #522 of 948
What filter combo are folks using on the Halcyon?
Just curious
On Aten I preffered black nozzle with blue or green filters. On Rah I preffered grey nozzle with green or black filters. I tried with Halcyon black, grey and red nozzles but there was too much bass for me so I had to go down to purple nozzle with black filter. But this is not for the first time, all IMR iems need 100-200 listening hours to get to normal sound, so with Aten there was the same story, I began with purple nozzle as there was too much booming bass but after 100 hours I settled with black nozzle because the bass decreased to normal level with excellent punch and resolution.

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #523 of 948

That is actually a reason im not going for Semper this time.
As i am quite happy with what i have and i am not the collector type. I can give it some time until IMR reaches some serious diminishing returns.

Some while i will be waiting to hear what Semper achieved with huge interest, i will wait untill later in the Pro line up. Like 2nd or 3rd model.

I mean IMR keep polishing and perfecting current drivers like beryllium Aten drive and planar.
But we also know that he is working on new drivers. Which can mean 2 things.

1. They are looking to use those drivers for something with different/specific sonic proterties.

2. IMR can see that there are certain limitation for aten driver which cannot be overcome or are to difficult impractical to overcome.

Just a speculation of course.

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #524 of 948
And those new drivers are brilliant! The new R3 with new two est drivers are head and shoulders above Rah and Aten in terms of clarity, resolution and tonality of the sound.

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #525 of 948
That is actually a reason im not going for Semper this time.
As i am quite happy with what i have and i am not the collector type. I can give it some time until IMR reaches some serious diminishing returns.

Some while i will be waiting to hear what Semper achieved with huge interest, i will wait untill later in the Pro line up. Like 2nd or 3rd model.

I mean IMR keep polishing and perfecting current drivers like beryllium Aten drive and planar.
But we also know that he is working on new drivers. Which can mean 2 things.

1. They are looking to use those drivers for something with different/specific sonic proterties.

2. IMR can see that there are certain limitation for aten driver which cannot be overcome or are to difficult impractical to overcome.

Just a speculation of course.

Hope Semper will produce the goods and my last IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back