IMR R3 Halcyon, R3 Phase, R3 Semper - Discussion / Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #406 of 948
this seems to the new king in IMR, visually looks impressive compared to the round iems that Bob been producing

Attachments

• 1595616818797.png
    1595616818797.png
    887.5 KB · Views: 0
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #410 of 948

They’re not for everyone but they are really good for fit and comfort even though I have just removed them in place of my Sedna light which do sound better. I describe them as universal custom moulds.

I’ve come to the conclusion about tips that all of them cause their own tiny issue whether sound on a particular IEM or fit and comfort but I add the caveat of using my IEM for at least 75% of the time I am awake and I generally only sleep around 5 hours a night. So my ears get tired of the same feeling and I need to switch it up some.

Edit: they sound better right now because my ears are comfortable again. I fall into the trap of noticing a change and then going oh this is better but I try to be conscious of this and catch myself.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #411 of 948
R3 arrived on Sat 25th but not PB1.
Initial impression with default black nozzle and filter, width of soundstage narrower than Rah, but was particularly impressed with the mids as I can still recall the capability of Electrostats transducers when I heard it few years ago at the SG Camjam.
Back then the price dissuaded me from getting one actually.
To my ears, Electrostats is about vocal, resolution, transparency and that decay effect it is capable of.

This morning, roughly with 20hrs of burn-in, soundstage totally differs from initial. From a morning glory to a sun flower and I feel now it is much fuller than Rah.

Based of my Metallica albums, with priority to dynamic, power and drumming going up to speed with that wonderful mids, I settle for the grey nozzle blue filter. And has been enjoying almost the whole of late morning and afternoon- The longest listening session in my years in personnel audio journey.
Not a new toy syndrome rather a customised new sound to this old ears assisted by awesome MAX.

Bob probably nailed this implementation. If there is not much changes after the 100hrs of babysitting I could go on hibernation break again soon. And I have yet to hear the PB1.

MAX> balance AN/Dueland silver cable> R3 with Tennmak.
Enjoying the following albums today:
Metallica Hardwired To Self Destruct, Black Album, Master of Puppets.
Gary Moore Legacy especially disc 1.
Neil Young Greatest Hits.
Tracy Chapman Let it Rain.
Robert Cray Midnight Stroll.
Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here, The Wall disc 2.
Mark Knopfler Golden Heart.
Best of Free.
TOTO Mindfields.

Jul 26, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #413 of 948
Initial impression with default black nozzle and filter, width of soundstage narrower than Rah, but was particularly impressed with the mids as I can still recall the capability of Electrostats transducers when I heard it few years ago at the SG Camjam.
To my ears, Electrostats is about vocal, resolution, transparency and that decay effect it is capable of.

This morning, roughly with 20hrs of burn-in, soundstage totally differs from initial. From a morning glory to a sun flower and I feel now it is much fuller than Rah.

Based of my Metallica albums, with priority to dynamic, power and drumming going up to speed with that wonderful mids, I settle for the grey nozzle blue filter. And has been enjoying almost the whole of late morning and afternoon- The longest listening session in my years in personnel audio journey.
Not a new toy syndrome rather a customised new sound to this old ears assisted by awesome MAX.

Bob probably nailed this implementation. If there is not much changes after the 100hrs of babysitting I could go on hibernation break again soon. And I have yet to hear the PB1.

MAX> balance AN/Dueland silver cable> R3 with Tennmak.
Enjoying the following albums today:
Metallica Hardwired To Self Destruct, Black Album, Master of Puppets.
Gary Moore Legacy especially disc 1.
Neil Young Greatest Hits.
Tracy Chapman Let it Rain.
Robert Cray Midnight Stroll.
Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here, The Wall disc 2.
Mark Knopfler Golden Heart.
Best of Free.
TOTO Mindfields.

Glad that something finally made it to you. Even better that you are loving them.

I didn't find burn in made a huge difference other than soundstage which got wider as you had found and maybe more of a holo effect.

Was listening to wish you were here earlier and it was perfect really.

As someone who likes electros it is stunning to hear them with IMR bass & warmth that doesn't cover the detail.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #414 of 948

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, but I must say after 50 hours the bass greatly improved in terms of control and quantity, now perfectly in balance with everything else. AFAIR, it was the same with the Rah, so there must be some truth in it :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #415 of 948
Glad that something finally made it to you. Even better that you are loving them.

I didn't find burn in made a huge difference other than soundstage which got wider as you had found and maybe more of a holo effect.

Was listening to wish you were here earlier and it was perfect really.

As someone who likes electros it is stunning to hear them with IMR bass & warmth that doesn't cover the detail.

You also noticed the holo effect. R3 is full sounding. Glad that Bob tuned it with height.

I'm not a big believer in burn-in, but I must say after 50 hours the bass greatly improved in terms of control and quantity, now perfectly in balance with everything else. AFAIR, it was the same with the Rah, so there must be some truth in it :)

Rah was a wild child that took plenty of hours to babysit.
R3 is more ‘civilised’ and all in order after 20hrs. Hope it remains as it is as I love this signature with grey nozzle and blue filter.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #416 of 948
I see Bob's new website has gone live, showing the Mia and Semper.
I was trying to find out how much they'd be with the loyalty code applied (not that I can afford either, just window shopping).
How does the loyalty code work? About how much discount does it represent?

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #417 of 948
I see Bob's new website has gone live, showing the Mia and Semper.
I was trying to find out how much they'd be with the loyalty code applied (not that I can afford either, just window shopping).
How does the loyalty code work? About how much discount does it represent?

If you are old client, IMR had to send you a loyalty code, and it's applied at the end of a new purchase. This currently represents -35% over the price.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #418 of 948
Looks like the old discount code doesn't work on the Sempers. Works on the Opus but not the Semper.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #420 of 948
Semper at £1100... $1400. Even if the 35% discount works, I think I will enjoy vicariously through the listening impressions of others!

Yep same here. Part of the attraction of Bob's products have been their performance to price ratio. At over £1000 this may be harder to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back