Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 1, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #5,236 of 18,081
Top man i take my hat off to yađź‘Ť that's what i thought the bone conduction was within the 6mm couplin. I'm still considering DM every minute of every day? The SOG is SO F-ING AMAZING the DM must be something so special?
The SOG is still astonishing me each & every day! I manly use it for electronic music but i was listening to some Dire Straits today and Mr knofla's guitar sounded as good or even better than Opus Mia & Mest mk2! I just cannot believe Bob got this sound from ONE dynamic driver.
I cannot wait for Ace, i have a real hunch its gonna be one of the most Speacial monitors Bob has made? It has that same dynamic as SOG the same Planar as Elysium and the same sonion bone conduction as Avalon and Ace & Avalon are the only IMR monitors to use this new Sonion bone conduction!
I'm more excited about zenith II though must admit I'm having second thoughts and want to buy a spare sog just in case, I will still buy zenith ii of roucr but I used sog all day long today and was left speechless, I listen mainly to prog rock and a ton of 60's 70's rock and there's so much going on with em. I'm actually thinking of paint em all black (since I love so much Ozar looks) I'm a bit torn since I don't want to spend money right now. But I think and I hope that bob will only keep forward after this. Sog and Ozar are quite unbeatable for the price already.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #5,237 of 18,081
Hi, has anyone heard something from Bob?
I switched an order to Avalon on Friday. He replied that he will ship on Monday, but since then I heaven't heard anything from him (contacted him yesterday via Facebook but got no reply)

Mar 2, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #5,238 of 18,081
Hi, has anyone heard something from Bob?
I switched an order to Avalon on Friday. He replied that he will ship on Monday, but since then I heaven't heard anything from him (contacted him yesterday via Facebook but got no reply)
No, same here.
Send a question on monday, still no reply.

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #5,240 of 18,081
Top man i take my hat off to yađź‘Ť that's what i thought the bone conduction was within the 6mm couplin. I'm still considering DM every minute of every day? The SOG is SO F-ING AMAZING the DM must be something so special?
The SOG is still astonishing me each & every day! I manly use it for electronic music but i was listening to some Dire Straits today and Mr knofla's guitar sounded as good or even better than Opus Mia & Mest mk2! I just cannot believe Bob got this sound from ONE dynamic driver.
I cannot wait for Ace, i have a real hunch its gonna be one of the most Speacial monitors Bob has made? It has that same dynamic as SOG the same Planar as Elysium and the same sonion bone conduction as Avalon and Ace & Avalon are the only IMR monitors to use this new Sonion bone conduction!
What nozzle and filter do you use, on your SOG?

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #5,242 of 18,081
I emailed Bob yesterday but still no reply.
Shipment status is now updated as below.

“Your item was posted at Post Office branch, Post Office on 02-03-2022. More information will be available as it travels through our network.”

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #5,244 of 18,081
Speaking of screws. Aren't the Avalon and Dark Matter supposed to have different colored screws? Guess which one is which?

DM on the right side - the screws are a tiny bit more silver-ish :wink: At least I hope it's DM, because it's what I've ordered and what I've got :D

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #5,245 of 18,081
I'll see if I can get Bob to send me one/I can buy one off him, have just emailed!

these are sounding fantastic so far, just an absolutely massive sound. I'm blown away and haven't even started burning them in!
Bob popped one in the post for me todayyyyy

outstanding

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #5,246 of 18,081
Okay, I promised to do a comparison between the Avalon and the Semper, so here it is. Both IEMs have the same configuration: red nozzle and blue filter, with SpiralDot++ tips. These are all my subjective impressions and by no means are they the absolute truth regarding those two IEMs. Bear that in mind, even if I don't keep repeating "to me" or "in my experience".

The most obvious difference is in the tuning: the Semper is sterile and more clinical in its presentation while the Avalon's sound is warmer, natural and more fuzzy, as if each note was wrapped in a warm blanket and given a cup of hot cocoa. Also, the former has bigger headstage and better instrument separation, which coupled with its somewhat higher resolution make the sound sharper and clearer, but also more tinny and there is some nasality to the vocals when compared to the Avalon. Similar to the Elysium, the Avalon is also more analogue in its presentation to IMR's 2020 offering.

While bass quantity is similar, the Avalon has the edge in quality. Bass guitars have more clarity and better resolution, especially the lowest notes, and there's more of a purr to them than on the Semper whose clinical sound encompases the bass as well. Bass extension is on a similar level, with well-defined and clear sub-bass.

Mids are more forward on the Avalon, but due to the overall fuzziness of the sound, they may seem less detailed and slightly veiled, while the Semper's are clearer and snappier despite seeming more recessed due to the bigger headstage. The Avalon's narrower stage also results in worse instrument separation and instruments' apparent sources are located closer to each other.

If vocal presentation is important to you, you will want the Avalon over the Semper. On the former, vocals are more natural, forward and intimate, while in comparison the latter's are more nasal. Obviously, with brain burn-in you stop noticing the nasality eventually. As a result, the Avalon conveys the emotional load of vocals somewhat better. Here, I find, that the Avalon's smaller headstage lends itself to a more cohesive presentation of music. Vocals blend much better with the rest of the musical composition, which was one of my first findings regarding the Avalon, and I support it wholeheartedly. As a result, on the Semper the same song sounds like you're in a concert hall, while on the Avalon you get a more intimate situation, as if the artist were singing just for you.

Where I find the two hard to compare is the highs region. The Avalon is really holding its ground fine vs the Semper, which I didn't expect but which is a welcome surprise. I would even say the Avalon has the Semper beat in detail retrieval, because I've heard new things in songs I thought I knew very well. It feel like the Semper has better extension, however, a smidgen more shimmer in the cymbals. However, here, the Avalon's warmer sound signature may make it seem like its apparent brightness is lower.

Overall, in direct comparison, I feel like the Avalon wins as far as my sound signature preferences are concerned. Its sound is more natural, warmer, and euphonic when compared with the Semper side by side.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #5,247 of 18,081
I am ready for the Ace man! So intrigued by the driver config. Only a portion of the way thru my exercise in patience as I wait for them to be delivered

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #5,248 of 18,081
Okay, I promised to do a comparison between the Avalon and the Semper, so here it is. Both IEMs have the same configuration: red nozzle and blue filter, with SpiralDot++ tips. These are all my subjective impressions and by no means are they the absolute truth regarding those two IEMs. Bear that in mind, even if I don't keep repeating "to me" or "in my experience".

The most obvious difference is in the tuning: the Semper is sterile and more clinical in its presentation while the Avalon's sound is warmer, natural and more fuzzy, as if each note was wrapped in a warm blanket and given a cup of hot cocoa. Also, the former has bigger headstage and better instrument separation, which coupled with its somewhat higher resolution make the sound sharper and clearer, but also more tinny and there is some nasality to the vocals when compared to the Avalon. Similar to the Elysium, the Avalon is also more analogue in its presentation to IMR's 2020 offering.

While bass quantity is similar, the Avalon has the edge in quality. Bass guitars have more clarity and better resolution, especially the lowest notes, and there's more of a purr to them than on the Semper whose clinical sound encompases the bass as well. Bass extension is on a similar level, with well-defined and clear sub-bass.

Just out of interest why do you use red nozzles over others?

Mar 2, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #5,250 of 18,081
Just out of interest why do you use red nozzles over others?
Because they give me the quantity of bass that I like.
I used to use the semper with the silver nozzle for a time, to get even less bass out of it, because I found the combination excellent for metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back