Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 30, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #3,091 of 17,926
I was about to say ditch the piezo from Aten.

But i think creativity in tuning and sound engineering, at least looking at reviews is steadily progressive and hes gone through plethora driver and tuning configs.

What would really be interesting is if he fundamentally reworked him shell ergonomics. Something like semi customs.
Or maybe experiment with model or line up that ditches filters for sake of more secure nozzle fit?

What say you guys?
I don’t know about ditching the nozzle and filter system though. It's a big plus IMO. The fit on EDP+ is as comfortable and secure as any semi customs I've tried.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #3,092 of 17,926

But i think creativity in tuning and sound engineering, at least looking at reviews is steadily progressive and hes gone through plethora driver and tuning configs.

What would really be interesting is if he fundamentally reworked him shell ergonomics. Something like semi customs.
Or maybe experiment with model or line up that ditches filters for sake of more secure nozzle fit?

What say you guys?
With his new ADLC and CNT, it seems like the days of the piezo in the IMR lineup are over
I wouldnt mind saying goodbye to the Nozzle Filter combos either. There's something to be said for grabbing a set and just tip rolling but at the same time the Filters dont bother me, once the set is burned in I end up with Black / Blue anyway so I really dont do any fitler rolling ... that may change with the Elysium, but we'll see.
I would like to see a reworked shell .... I mean if Eytimotic can finally do it, there's hope, right?

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #3,093 of 17,926
With his new ADLC and CNT, it seems like the days of the piezo in the IMR lineup are over
I wouldnt mind saying goodbye to the Nozzle Filter combos either. There's something to be said for grabbing a set and just tip rolling but at the same time the Filters dont bother me, once the set is burned in I end up with Black / Blue anyway so I really dont do any fitler rolling ... that may change with the Elysium, but we'll see.
I would like to see a reworked shell .... I mean if Eytimotic can finally do it, there's hope, right?
But the tunable part is important to get a desirable sound , and we see people using a variety of setups on any given model.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #3,094 of 17,926
But the tunable part is important to get a desirable sound , and we see people using a variety of setups on any given model.

Exactly - People Never seem to appreciate its ALL about synergy. there are many components in ones personal audio chain each of which has a big effect on the end sound

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #3,095 of 17,926

What say you guys?
How about nozzles of two different lengths?
I find that longer, deeper fitting nozzles can be used with smaller tips (this is my preference BTW), and vice-versa.
This of course affects the sound, providing choices, and I'm not suggesting a super long braincase violating nozzle, just slightly longer than the current ones, and maybe the other length could be just fractionally shorter.
Perhaps fewer nozzle choices in each size, say 3 or 4 of each length giving a total nozzle count of 6 or 8, with the usual 6 count of filters?

Or maybe an optional, alternative nozzle system designed to work with mouldable tips like those Shark-Fin tips where you mix two puttys (One base, one catalyst) to make a tip that you push into your ear canal to mould to its shape and provide a custom fit.

All the iem's that I've bought over the last couple of years surpass my old custom iems in terms of sound quality, but none of them come close to matching the customs in terms of fit, comfort and isolation.

If this could be made to work with Bobs swappable filter/nozzle system that would be a huge advance IMO.
I don't want to go back to customs for several reasons ( loss of swappable bits, initial expense, wait time, cost & inconvenience of impressions, risk of poor fit complicating the whole procedure, customs have very little re-sale value, and I like metal shells for some reason!) But the fit has undeniable advantages.

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #3,096 of 17,926

Exactly - People Never seem to appreciate its ALL about synergy. there are many components in ones personal audio chain each of which has a big effect on the end sound
I totally get it. The filters don't bother me and I do think the tuneability is a great idea. Clearly we can see a host of different preferences, not just personal preference in general but for specific genres as well .... For me I've typically gone wide open with Black Lower and Blue Upper but there have been seasons with the RAH where I dialled down the bass a bit - Now that I've got my RAHs reshelled I've lost tunability but it's still musical, technical and fun and I like that I dont need to think about it or check to make sure they're screwed all the way in....

I thhink with Elysium I'll end up on Black Blue again, but I dont know that yet but I do know I'll have fun switching the combos around.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #3,097 of 17,926
Nah. I did not mean ditching filters completely. Its IMRs signature.
But double filter does make it quite deep fit and this is an issue to quite a few.
So why not try a model or two without them.
Its just for variety.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #3,099 of 17,926
Nah. I did not mean ditching filters completely. Its IMRs signature.
But double filter does make it quite deep fit and this is an issue to quite a few.
So why not try a model or two without them.
Its just for variety.
I’d personally enjoy models with just one filter, as it was at the beginning, but with a specific, almost editorial tuning signature, not just more or less bass/treble. It has started being introduced with filter combinations described as “reference” for instance. Detail monster; abyssal bass; haunting voices; lean and clean; golden haze; forward thrust; giant halls…

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #3,100 of 17,926
I’d personally enjoy models with just one filter, as it was at the beginning, but with a specific, almost editorial tuning signature, not just more or less bass/treble. It has started being introduced with filter combinations described as “reference” for instance. Detail monster; abyssal bass; haunting voices; lean and clean; golden haze; forward thrust; giant halls…
Good idea. But as far as ergonomics go they were just slightly shorter that two part ones, so dont think its worth loosing customizability over it.
That said. They are compatible in between each other. So you actually pull out an idea of just adding variably tuned filters as an extra for existing models.
Though not sure how that would work. And how much you can customize sound with filters alone. There must be some limitations.
But if it is indeed possible. It would actually be useful across all the range of existing iems. And in turn would not require much investment. Also would make IMR iems even more attractive to new buyers.

So yeh, very interesting

Jul 1, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #3,101 of 17,926
the tuning possibilities of the filters is a big plus. what I would really like is better bass management. I decided to follow IMR because of IMR's promise of fun and bassy tuning. and I am very happy with it. but I'm still looking for the product with the dream bass that I haven't found yet. for me the bass is the conductor of the music. currently, I find that they are a little withdrawn and that it is the remainder which dominates. as if the music is built on the mids and highs first, then the bass is added. I would like to have bass that predominates. that the music be built on the bass and the rest added. plus the nozzles darkens the bass and everything in between. but does not necessarily give more bass. I would like the bass to be able to stay clear, for example like with the red or pink nozzle, but with more power. it s difficult to explain, but I hope to make myself understood.

Bob is a basshead, i would like to know his basshead's definition? And yours of course.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #3,102 of 17,926
the tuning possibilities of the filters is a big plus. what I would really like is better bass management. I decided to follow IMR because of IMR's promise of fun and bassy tuning. and I am very happy with it. but I'm still looking for the product with the dream bass that I haven't found yet. for me the bass is the conductor of the music. currently, I find that they are a little withdrawn and that it is the remainder which dominates. as if the music is built on the mids and highs first, then the bass is added. I would like to have bass that predominates. that the music be built on the bass and the rest added. plus the nozzles darkens the bass and everything in between. but does not necessarily give more bass. I would like the bass to be able to stay clear, for example like with the red or pink nozzle, but with more power. it s difficult to explain, but I hope to make myself understood.

Bob is a basshead, i would like to know his basshead's definition? And yours of course.

I know exactly what you mean and I agree to some degree - I think though there is a difference between a 'HiFi music lovers' definition [and needs] of basshead and an 'Audiophile' definition [and needs] of bass. They dont necessarily contradict but maybe you can say one may lean towards more quantity and one towards more quality?

Ive had the same thought popping up the last few days about modding. Ive done a fair bit of headphone modding over the years and technically the same principals should apply here.
One tiny example - trimming the bottom from foam tips to give deeper insertion for the EDP+ Bringing the drivers closer to the eardrum gives more low end

But what Im thinking of is perhaps using some Bass filters Im not going to use and modding by perhaps adding a tiny extra hole or maybe covering up any holes of the less bassy filters
Ive also been thinking about the foam in the treble filters. I have lots of different types of 'studio' foam knocking about. Could be fun :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #3,103 of 17,926

IMO, PB1 on Red nozzle and black filter is the cleanest sounding IMR in my collections without losing its bass definition that a bass head craved for and still maintaining the lush creamy planar midrange. Treble is airy and pretty similar to BC with slightly better energy. Drumming is top dog and it still pleases my old bass loving ears.

Bigger bass coverage, unless Bob introduces x-over. Take this with a grain of salt as suggestion may varies.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #3,104 of 17,926
Regarding tuning options, i would like to see a cable tuning option similar to JH Audio. On their cable they have 2 dial pots to tune the bass level, one for the left ear one for the right.
Why not have the 2 dial pots but have one tuning the bass for left and right and the other for tuning mids/highs left right.

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,105 of 17,926
@NellieG, then the cable will be proprietary was the reason why I cancelled my JH Roxanne back then knowing I won’t be able to fabricated one.

I think the Canal Works model CW-L72PSTS approach tuned by using Resistor will be a better Option. Cable wise still as usual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back