Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,056 of 17,966
Anyone using a desktop amplifier with their portable amp and using different xlr/rca cables to tweak the performance?

It has made MAJOR changes to my set up!!!

What about yours and what changes did it make to the IMR's?

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #2,057 of 17,966
Anyone using a desktop amplifier with their portable amp and using different xlr/rca cables to tweak the performance?

It has made MAJOR changes to my set up!!!

What about yours and what changes did it make to the IMR's?
In my experience, more current made sound way thicker and more enjoyable. I used to have a jds labs atom and a schiit vali and they both made the sound way more enjoyable and got rid of a couple of peaks in the sound

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #2,058 of 17,966
My desktop system uses whichever cable is the length required for my layout, I am about to break down and rebuild my system soon to add in my passive TVC but using it backwards. By this I mean it is 4 inputs and 2 outputs but I am going to use it as 2 inputs and 4 outputs as I do not need the volume control so I can just set it to max volume which will then pass through full line voltage.

So then I will input 2 DAC’s from my laptop and one of those will is switchable source input which has my digital tv box. The 4 outputs will go to my DJM600 mixer which has 4 channel inputs. The mixer has 3 EQ pots on each channel which offer me tone control essentially rather than full on equalisation.

So all this will give me all my sources routed through my mixer to change the sound with simple EQ to suit my mood or which headphone or IEM supplying both my amps. Bluetooth headphones and earphones with rotary volume control. A preset selectable EQ by rotary knob.

Very much not looking forwards to this task.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #2,059 of 17,966
My desktop system uses whichever cable is the length required for my layout, I am about to break down and rebuild my system soon to add in my passive TVC but using it backwards. By this I mean it is 4 inputs and 2 outputs but I am going to use it as 2 inputs and 4 outputs as I do not need the volume control so I can just set it to max volume which will then pass through full line voltage.

So then I will input 2 DAC’s from my laptop and one of those will is switchable source input which has my digital tv box. The 4 outputs will go to my DJM600 mixer which has 4 channel inputs. The mixer has 3 EQ pots on each channel which offer me tone control essentially rather than full on equalisation.

So all this will give me all my sources routed through my mixer to change the sound with simple EQ to suit my mood or which headphone or IEM supplying both my amps. Bluetooth headphones and earphones with rotary volume control. A preset selectable EQ by rotary knob.

Very much not looking forwards to this task.
Sounds like a lot of fun!

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,061 of 17,966
It kind of is.. but IMO the drivers are new, stiff, and need the workout. And it's not 100% continuous, it's 10 minutes brown followed by 1 minute sweep, then 10 minutes pink & 1 minute sweep, then 10 minutes white & 1 minute sweep then 10 minutes violet & 1 minute sweep, & repeat. All tracks contain a few seconds of silence at the end, it's decent.
I can't think of a song that is perfectly balanced. Does it contain all frequencies? Perhaps. But are they equally represented or will it work the mids or lows more or less than the highs?
With colored noises you know exactly what you get: brown for low & low-mid workout, pink & white are balanced, violet is for highs. If brown plays as much as violet, both extreme ends of the spectrum receive equal attention.

LE: I'd be curious to know Bob's method, or how a manufacturer does it in-house.
Bob said to me there’s no special requirements and to just play whatever music/audio I like at medium listening volume

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,062 of 17,966
Bob said to me there’s no special requirements and to just play whatever music/audio I like at medium listening volume
True. Most of the past releases have been fairly easy to drive and its fair to expect this next crop if iems to be easy to drive. But these IMRs Scale extemely well which means you don't next a lot of power but they do love more power.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2,063 of 17,966
Technically Johann Sebastiann Bach's - Brandeburgs Concertos are ideal for burn as they contain all frequencies (famously so) and have great dynamics. I don't think its a problem but im not a fan of the brute force method of blasting every frequency at a driver over a period of time. Makes me think of running in a car by sitting it in a set on of rollers in a garage, putting a brick on the accelerator and leaving the engine running at 120 Mph :)

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #2,064 of 17,966
Technically Johann Sebastiann Bach's - Brandeburgs Concertos are ideal for burn as they contain all frequencies (famously so) and have great dynamics. I don't think its a problem but im not a fan of the brute force method of blasting every frequency at a driver over a period of time. Makes me think of running in a car by sitting it in a set on of rollers in a garage, putting a brick on the accelerator and leaving the engine running at 120 Mph :)
Brutal but effective analogy!

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #2,066 of 17,966
I'm getting quoted taxes of £114 when trying to order the Elysium within the UK.

Sorted already. Messaged Bob, he was aware of problem this evening and fixed straight away.

I've taken my Halcyon off the classifieds, tried with another tip and seems to have helped my fit issues, glad really as I love the sound from Bob's earphones. Going to order the Elysium

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #2,067 of 17,966
I think when I get the Elysium I’m just going to start listening to them and let my brain and IEMs burn in together :)
I quite enjoy the adventure of an evolving sound and that everyday surprise rather than a sudden WOW and then a massive come down.
Please be aware though that over the 30-100 hour mark they will start to sound bad. Im not exaggerating. They will sound nothing like they do out fo the box - If / when you start to find they start sounding 'off' or not quite right you will need to revisit them at a minimum of 120 hours of use/burn in later. Preferably 200 hours
You have been warned :D
This is not just my experience but many people here . . . even Bob himself has been caught out by this phenomenon! :)

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #2,068 of 17,966
I don't think the new models will do the down the drain sound as per previous models, they will still need the burn in time to sound at their full potential all coherent and homogenised together but it must be the ceramic piezo which causes the mid burn in terror. Just a guess.

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,069 of 17,966
I don't think the new models will do the down the drain sound as per previous models, they will still need the burn in time to sound at their full potential all coherent and homogenised together but it must be the ceramic piezo which causes the mid burn in terror. Just a guess.
Well the 2 new flagships now have a recommended burn of 200 hours on the website and even Bob was recently caught out thinking that (one of either) the BC or EDP+ had something go wrong with it when it actually just needed another, longer burn in period o_0
Interesting idea on the Mids of the Ceramic driver Hmmmmm :)

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,070 of 17,966
Well the 2 new flagships now have a recommended burn of 200 hours on the website and even Bob was recently caught out thinking that (one of either) the BC or EDP+ had something go wrong with it when it actually just needed another, longer burn in period o_0
Interesting idea on the Mids of the Ceramic driver Hmmmmm :)

Probably the BC as that has the ceramic still. Like i mentioned though i am just making assumptions and when the new models arrive we will know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back