Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,086 of 18,081
I purchased a Quattro Fil (RCA) cable to tweek my system ( from 220 max to L.H. Labs S.E. Pulse) and I must say a BIG WOW!

My Semper is not yet quite burned in as of yet, but people do these iems scale!!! I mean EVERY SINGLE THING about it sounds free-kin MARVELOUS!!!!

The vocals, bass and mids sound so much cleaner, as if they weren't great already! There is so much articulation going on it's unbelievable!

I'm in love. I'm in love. I'm in love!!

Yes the Semper is stunning. I don't own anything else that handles everything so well including over ears which have not been out of their boxes since Semper arrived. I think mine have fully arrived and reached full burn in. By that I mean the electros have fully bloomed or fully settled down. I'm never sure which but they are at their peak. Can tell this has happened as the highs have so much air & space to be filled you can feel it.

With the Halcyon this happened at way over 300 hours. I'll say 333 hours as it is a nice number but I had stopped counting past 300. With the Semper it was around 315 hours.

Also I hadn't got round to trying the closed backs yet. I prefer them over the default open ones on the Halcyon as they add speed, punch & clarity and only lose a little air which there is plenty of.

One thing I thought the PB1 did better than the Semper was drums and particularly their impact. The PB1 moved me more than The Semper. The closed backs have added this equal to the PB1. That with the fully burnt in electros (but also with the up front mids of the PB1 over the slightly recessed Halcyon mids) makes the Semper something special. They are by some distance the best IMR for me. A wall of sound but also a wall of clarity otherwise it would all be too much. At first before they had fully settled down and before I had got my head round them they were too much but now they are addictive. If the new ones can somehow top this we are in for a real treat for sure.

Next will be to try some different filter combos as I'm still on black/ black. Settled on black/ blue on PB1 & silver/ blue on the Halcyon. What are you people using on the Semper?

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #2,087 of 18,081
Anyone is looking for a PB2 mint?
I’m going to buy a TOTL...💸

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #2,089 of 18,081
I felt exactly the same way with PB2, Semper, etc...
Lockdown destroyed my business and we burned alot of our piggy bank last year (actually it was more like the piggy ate our bank). But just as cold is blanced by hot, day by night, dark by light last years circumstances forced me to rebuild in a new and better way and I missed a lot of things including a couple IMRs I REALLY Wanted - but that too has been balanced out. Had I just received a Semper, there's no way I'd be picking Elysium. We know Bob. He'll be coming with something to trump whatevever Elysium and Astra are doing. How many generations did Aten go through? I suspect we'll see a few iterations of ADLC and he has said a foucus on shrinking the shell. We now have shrunk shell v1.0.

Still sucks - I know, but something good coming for you at the right time with the right IEM.
The IMR website shows a Semper is available for sale, as of 3.13.2021

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,090 of 18,081
I found next imr upgrade.

-773045296534791614.jpg
-20934848501699002826.jpg

🤩🤩🥳🥳😂😂😂😂

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #2,091 of 18,081
Played also the cable game.....
Solely because of the much nicer optics. :beyersmile:
fHiE81n.jpg

Linsoul Dunu DUW02

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #2,093 of 18,081
Very detailed, good soundstage, reaches deep and has a very controlled bass. Bass amount can be regulated quite nicely with the filters. For the strong emphasis around 1.5-2 kHz region for me some extra filtering is required using extra filter material (e.g. basotect plug). Others like these quite forward mids.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,094 of 18,081
Very detailed, good soundstage, reaches deep and has a very controlled bass. Bass amount can be regulated quite nicely with the filters. For the strong emphasis around 1.5-2 kHz region for me some extra filtering is required using extra filter material (e.g. basotect plug). Others like these quite forward mids.
What color are you using for the filter?

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,095 of 18,081
I am using Pink lower and blue upper filter.
In the pink filter is also some Visaton loudspeaker damping material and in the blue filter a smal basotect plug. This tames the 1.5 - 2 kHz "peak" by app. 5 dB. The viston lifts also the bass a bit. So maybe for a more linear bass response I will try also the silver filter.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,096 of 18,081
I just noticed something last night. The EDP+ has the new ADLC driver but on the Astra/Eslyium it also has:
  • 10mm bespoke Carbon Nano Tube A.D.L.C dynamic driver + dual electrostatic drivers with internal amplifier + bone conduction motor
Makes me wonder whether the Astra + Elysium's ADLC drivers are ALSO Carbon Nano tube where as the EDP+ is a 'regular' ADLC driver? Maybe thats why they are 'custom tuned' and 'bespoke' ?

Interesting stuff anyway....

What are carbon nanotubes?​

Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) are cylindrical molecules that consist of rolled-up sheets of single-layer carbon atoms (graphene). They can be single-walled (SWCNT) with a diameter of less than 1 nanometer (nm) or multi-walled (MWCNT), consisting of several concentrically interlinked nanotubes, with diameters reaching more than 100 nm. Their length can reach several micrometers or even millimeters.
Like their building block graphene, CNTs are chemically bonded with sp2 bonds, an extremely strong form of molecular interaction. This feature combined with carbon nanotubes’ natural inclination to rope together via van der Waals forces, provide the opportunity to develop ultra-high strength, low-weight materials that possess highly conductive electrical and thermal properties. This makes them highly attractive for numerous applications.

and...

"A new type of headphone heats up carbon nanotubes to crank out tunes. The tiny speaker doesn't rely on moving parts and instead produces sound through the thermoacoustic effect. When an alternating current passes through the nanotubes, the material heats and cools the air around it; as the air warms, it expands, and as it cools, it contracts. This expansion and contraction creates sound waves. The new nanotube speaker could be manufactured at low cost in the same facilities used to make computer chips, the researchers say."

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,097 of 18,081
I just noticed something last night. The EDP+ has the new ADLC driver but on the Astra/Eslyium it also has:
  • 10mm bespoke Carbon Nano Tube A.D.L.C dynamic driver + dual electrostatic drivers with internal amplifier + bone conduction motor
Makes me wonder whether the Astra + Elysium's ADLC drivers are ALSO Carbon Nano tube where as the EDP+ is a 'regular' ADLC driver? Maybe thats why they are 'custom tuned' and 'bespoke' ?

It definitely did not say that previously, the EDP+, knight and BC at first said ADLC, then when the next 3 were released they said ADLC 10mm and the first 3 then said ADLC 6mm, now as you have pointed out the Astra and Elysium now say carbon nano tube. We could ask Bob for clarification or await a new release of Opus Amazeballs and see how the previous models update from the ether. i say we wait !!!!

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,098 of 18,081
"A new type of headphone heats up carbon nanotubes to crank out tunes. The tiny speaker doesn't rely on moving parts and instead produces sound through the thermoacoustic effect. When an alternating current passes through the nanotubes, the material heats and cools the air around it; as the air warms, it expands, and as it cools, it contracts. This expansion and contraction creates sound waves. The new nanotube speaker could be manufactured at low cost in the same facilities used to make computer chips, the researchers say."

Not quite the same but this is reminiscent of AMT drivers, maybe the headphone which is getting the planar and AMT is infact this.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,099 of 18,081
It definitely did not say that previously, the EDP+, knight and BC at first said ADLC, then when the next 3 were released they said ADLC 10mm and the first 3 then said ADLC 6mm, now as you have pointed out the Astra and Elysium now say carbon nano tube. We could ask Bob for clarification or await a new release of Opus Amazeballs and see how the previous models update from the ether. i say we wait !!!!
My wife calls me Frankenstein when wearing the Zenith. No idea what she could call me with Opus Amazeballs.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #2,100 of 18,081
:) I was actually thinking this is one of the things I don't want to especially ask Bob
Im blissed out already from my OPUS so I feel more than happy with Bob's (often, if anything understated) notes on the sounds of his latest IEMs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back