Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,116 of 18,160
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,118 of 18,160
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #2,119 of 18,160
:D I used to live about 10 minutes walk from there...Luckily I wasn't there for that *&**&* show :D

Haha nice, this was the 2002 one and not 2006 which was actually 2008. I was wishing to go when it was advertised as a free party but Brighton is a long way from Sheffield lol. They expected 60k to turn up and 250k did, destroyed the place.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,120 of 18,160
Haha nice, this was the 2002 one and not 2006 which was actually 2008. I was wishing to go when it was advertised as a free party but Brighton is a long way from Sheffield lol. They expected 60k to turn up and 250k did, destroyed the place.
You were lucky - Not all that glitters is gold. Brighton is a bit desperate beneath the surface in many ways. Its great in that people can live there without the same levels of persecution as perhaps other places but it does in some ways strike me as the end of the road of a lot of 'alternative' people
I much preferred my times living in Bath and Bristol. Never lived in Sheffield but was born in raised in Newcastle...a lucky escape, could have been a sand dancer *shudders*

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,121 of 18,160
You were lucky - Not all that glitters is gold. Brighton is a bit desperate beneath the surface in many ways. Its great in that people can live there without the same levels of persecution as perhaps other places but it does in some ways strike me as the end of the road of a lot of 'alternative' people
I much preferred my times living in Bath and Bristol. Never lived in Sheffield but was born in raised in Newcastle...a lucky escape, could have been a sand dancer *shudders*

I have never been to Brighton and don't know a great deal about the place to be fair, i just figured it was your usual seaside town which all are a bit desperate beneath the surface. What do you mean by 'alternative' what's happening there as the end of the road.

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,122 of 18,160
I have never been to Brighton and don't know a great deal about the place to be fair, i just figured it was your usual seaside town which all are a bit desperate beneath the surface. What do you mean by 'alternative' what's happening there as the end of the road.
Brighton is pretty cool - great place for a holiday. Not bad to live in . . .if you have a good income!
By 'alternative' I just mean your dreadlocked, juggling, fire breathing, tie dye, draft dodging type of character... Joking!
but you find quite a few lost souls there
I don't mean that in a mean or judgmental way...not the forum for details.... but anyway
to put in another way - There is a lot of very cool and interesting people gathered there :)
Not that dissimilar to your avatar ! :D

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #2,123 of 18,160

Brighton - Hedonistic and Gay in all its senses.

Bristol - Earthy, I do not know why but that is what I associate with Bristol.

Bath - Charming - Royal Crescent, a sight to behold!

Sheffield - I like the "hillyness" but otherwise drab. Maybe I have a lot more to explore to appreciate Sheffield.

Newcastle - I have never been but seem to get on well with the folks.

Lots to explore in these Isles.

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #2,124 of 18,160
Some more random thoughts on the Semper after trying out different filters.

Black/ black & black/ blue. - I like both of these set ups as they give a wall of sound that is coherent, detailed and musical that is hard to find. Probably favour black/ blue out of the 2 as opens top end slightly more and widens the sound over black/ black. Bass pound is crazy given its control & it's always an exhilarating listen. Will not settle on these 2 but will go back to them time to time. One thing I like about these 2 set ups & Semper in general is how they sound good on every genre I threw at them. Everything (except jazz & classical which I can't say as I don't really listen to) sounds great.

Grey/ Blue - This was suggested in the manual as "high clarity & resolution with clear midrange". It does what it says I like this set up especially for rock & metal. The end of Sabbath's Symptom of The Universe was sublime. Probably the best it has ever sounded. Everything perfectly placed around Ozzy. Female vocals also sound particularly great on this set up. I thought this was the one & I'd stay on this set for good but it's only ok for electronic stuff. Must try this setup on the PB1.

Pink/ pink - This is great. Straight off electronic stuff sounds sublime on this setup. You need to try this setup if you like electronic stuff. Very musical. Cavernous bass. Great bass texture. Drums sound great. Massive Attack Unfinished Sympathy some of those huge bass drops sound insane. Bass on West End Girls has the perfect balance of pound, texture & squelch. Thought this would be the reverse of grey/ blue and rock would not sound that great but it does. Probably not as good as grey/ blue but then other times it is as musicality is high. Male vocals sound great on this setup. Thought this could be the one.

Red/ blue - Lying in bed after listening to pink/ pink I got excited at the thought of red/ blue. Pink/ pink but with a bit more bass pound & more high end to widen the overall sound. I couldn't wait to get up to try it lol. But when I did it sounded off. Not coherent or fun. I thought it was me being tired after another late night listening so went back to pink/ pink to check but that sounded great again.

Pink/ blue - Back to the drawing board but had another idea pink bass with blue upper. I've only listened to electronic music with this but this us the best setup I've found for electronic music so far. It's very similar to pink/ pink but slightly more technical & slightly less fun which suits what I listen to mainly more. I think like with the Halcyon where the estats are concerned a less is more approach gives a better overall bass with more depth and texture. Pink bass seems to be a good mix of depth, texture & pound. Blue upper filter seems to give the widest space to the uppers which the Semper can fill if it needs to. Will listen to this one more.

My only gripe with the Semper is fit & comfort compared to other IMRs. I'd give it 6.5/10 for fit/ comfort due to its size. Sometimes I am constantly aware of them altho they do stay in place & I'd give them 6/10 & other times like tonight they are comfy and I'm not that aware of them i'd give them 7/10. Other IMRs Halcyon & R2 etc I'd give 8-8.5/10 here. I got sedna xelastecs about the same time as Semper and thought they were great for sound & fit. But recently they were starting to hurt my ears so ended up back on sedna earfits and they have been more comfy & still sound great.

Hoping that is one improvement the new models make as they look more like the size of the R2 say which is very comfy and fits nice. That being said I fell asleep with the Semper in a couple of times and was surprisingly ok. Each listening session was pretty much only ending when either my or my daps batteries ran out.

In general the Semper is stunning. Finally giving it a lot of time and testing out what it can do I am more impressed the more I throw at it. One thing I will say is it likes power if you can give it. I thought this about the PB1 more so than the Halcyon (altho that likes it too) so i think it is the planar that reallly needs it to sing. Like the PB1 the Semper synergises with Amp8 very nicely. Amp9 sounded very nice as it compliments the electros very well but overall the extra power benefits more here.

Current setup is dx220/ amp8 - Penon Leo+ - Sedna earfits. Sounds sublime.

I ordered the penon OSG as I think it will sound very nice on the Semper or Astra so will compare that to the Leo+ when it arrives. Also will probably get some short earfits to see if they are more comfy than they standard ones. Tried foamies and they were so comfy but took away top end and added too much bass.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #2,126 of 18,160
Brighton - Hedonistic and Gay in all its senses.

Bristol - Earthy, I do not know why but that is what I associate with Bristol.

Bath - Charming - Royal Crescent, a sight to behold!

Sheffield - I like the "hillyness" but otherwise drab. Maybe I have a lot more to explore to appreciate Sheffield.

Newcastle - I have never been but seem to get on well with the folks.

Lots to explore in these Isles.
Love Brighton for those very reasons 😍🌈

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #2,128 of 18,160
Any thoughts on how Ultraque might fit metal, hard rock and blues?

If I don't like the Ultraque, how's the secondary market for IMRs? These would be my first IMRs, and am a bit concerned buying something there are no reviews of, especially with such untried tech as Ultraque.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #2,129 of 18,160
Any thoughts on how Ultraque might fit metal, hard rock and blues?

If I don't like the Ultraque, how's the secondary market for IMRs? These would be my first IMRs, and am a bit concerned buying something there are no reviews of, especially with such untried tech as Ultraque.
Resell value I don’t know but the limited runs make them somewhat sought after. For reference if I could keep only one iem for metal it would be the Aten - so not the tech that’s in the Ultraque as no one has heard that yet, but if it pursues the same IMR house sound the dynamics will be off the charts. Look into the Elysium instead of the Ultraque maybe, IMR’s planars have been more dynamic than e-stats up to now.
Edit: also, instead of resale IMR has a generous, no-questions-asked, free return policy.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,130 of 18,160
@roygbiv6 you experience the music, equipment and tuning process and outcome exactly how I do to the T. My PB1 are grey and blue, I rarely think about changing that set up and if I need a different sound I switch IEM.
Yes we are def on the same path when it comes to this stuff. Somehow our ears survived 90's club sound systems and we're looking for another taste of that holy grail sound.

When I return to the PB1 I will try that setup. One thing I like about the PB1, Halcyon & Semper gen is that they are all different and I have them set up for different sounds/ moods. I do hope there is a PB3 or Amazeballs or whatever it will be called that is the Semper of that gen with planar & electros together. Going from R2 --> Semper gave a good sense of what each driver added to the mix. It shouldn't be a choice we want it all. I hope this happens as the combination of the 2 drivers is delicious.

Pink/ blue is the real deal. It is my favourite filter combo so far for the Semper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back