Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #17,926 of 18,039
So did I, but I preferred the closed position.

Haha! I preferred the open position!

I ended up preferring the open on all the IMR's I've owned that have had the option. I also prefer open back headphones so maybe that has something to do with it?

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #17,927 of 18,039
It's good that IMR are giving good deals.
I dont see other iem manufacturers handing out discounts all that much.
I do see a lot of discounts on hifiman though.

I didn't buy an Enigma so I don't really have any skin in this game, but I kind of disagree with you here. I feel like it's almost a slap in the face to those IMR customers that paid a hefty price for their Enigmas and waited through all the bull:poop: stories, only to have Bob slash the prices on them a month or two later like he was in a late night informercial for a "going out of business" mattress store.

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #17,929 of 18,039
I didn't buy an Enigma so I don't really have any skin in this game, but I kind of disagree with you here. I feel like it's almost a slap in the face to those IMR customers that paid a hefty price for their Enigmas and waited through all the bull:poop: stories, only to have Bob slash the prices on them a month or two later like he was in a late night informercial for a "going out of business" mattress store.
I don't like it either. Since I paid full price for the Enigma.
But discount is good any way .
Next time I'm never getting into pre order hype for anything ever again !
That is my learning.
I'm going to wait for a good deal always.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #17,930 of 18,039
The way the Ebay store has been selling off everything from cases to cables to premium iems with lesser cables and old carry cases I think it's either payinng off debts or doing a clean sweep for a different kind of IMR shop experience which will be selling third party products and the occasional IMR designed iem sold from stock created in a new business model in partnership with a silent partner.

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #17,931 of 18,039
I sympathise with all who paid the full amount but honestly I do not accept that one should be paying more than 1k for an IEM. Not because soundwise they are not worth it but because building costs as I suspect is much much much lower than that. Personally I've always waited for second hand offers for all IMRs I own (apart from Dawn regrettably).

Now about open back Enigma. If what I listen persists,that is, a kinda narrow soundstage, then I would love to hear how this version would perform. If open back Enigma is more wide sounding then it would make an amazing sounding IEM even more magnificent.
@PeacockObscura please tell us!

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #17,933 of 18,039
Brandon told me that they don’t sell the faceplate alone. I don’t think these holes on the faceplate will make a notable difference

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #17,934 of 18,039
Brandon told me that they don’t sell the faceplate alone. I don’t think these holes on the faceplate will make a notable difference
I'll know soon enough if the face plate makes a difference I'll tape it and listen then remove the tape

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #17,935 of 18,039
I think making your own faceplate shouldn't be too hard. If the IEM aesthetic does not bother you too much, then you can use a piece of 2 mm pvc or acrylic or aluminum sheet and cut it in same shape and size using the existing closed faceplate. This is just for experiment in case you want to test how enginma will sound in open plate form.

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #17,936 of 18,039
Enigma day two:

Well, I've been A/B ing Enigma and Titan for an intimate listen.

I'd put it like this: Titan is smoother, more Harmannish, more spacious.
While falling under IMR house sound, Bass is clean but more rounded, midrange as detailed as it is a bit recessed, Treble is richer and smoother. More of a Hi-Fi sound.
Enigma is more aggressive, with refined and fierce bass, forward
midrange with amazing liveliness but also depth, Treble less extended, with
a 7-9K forwardness to my ears which with some genres (metal) is close to be
a bit sibilant. For this reason, I am changing upper filter to gold, as I did with Titan.

Overall, Titan is like a high-end loudspeaker set for indoors critical listening and
enjoyment. Enigma creates a live concert experience, like listening to the band playing live in ther oom with you.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #17,937 of 18,039
I think making your own faceplate shouldn't be too hard. If the IEM aesthetic does not bother you too much, then you can use a piece of 2 mm pvc or acrylic or aluminum sheet and cut it in same shape and size using the existing closed faceplate. This is just for experiment in case you want to test how enginma will sound in open plate form.
If you have the seraph you could just switch faceplates

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #17,938 of 18,039
Enigma day two:

While falling under IMR house sound, Bass is clean but more rounded, midrange as detailed as it is a bit recessed, Treble is richer and smoother. More of a Hi-Fi sound.
a bit sibilant. For this reason, I am changing upper filter to gold, as I did with Titan.

Overall, Titan is like a high-end loudspeaker set for indoors critical listening and
enjoyment. Enigma creates a live concert experience, like listening to the band playing live in ther oom with you.
I disagree on all counts, except for the treble presence of Titan which is noticeablely sharper.

Maybe it's the tips or filters used. I use Azla standard short and red lower/green upper. This combo works well for me.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #17,939 of 18,039
Enigma day two:

I don't agree at all with your feedback on Enigma being aggressive in any way. I think that you should try different tips. I am using Tri Clarion tips that are very cheap and have a wide bore. I never listened to Titan but Enigma has excellent bass, forward mids and sufficiently detailed treble that gives you all the information you need without being aggressive at all
If you have the possibility to listen to Enigma with Cayin RU7 dongle, I am sure you will be amazed. They have a perfect synergy

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #17,940 of 18,039
I don't agree at all with your feedback on Enigma being aggressive in any way. I think that you should try different tips. I am using Tri Clarion tips that are very cheap and have a wide bore. I never listened to Titan but Enigma has excellent bass, forward mids and sufficiently detailed treble that gives you all the information you need without being aggressive at all
If you have the possibility to listen to Enigma with Cayin RU7 dongle, I am sure you will be amazed. They have a perfect synergy
That sounds positive I can't wait to plug them into my Cayin N7 then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back