Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 15, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #17,326 of 18,541
Actually, it's maybe a none sense to try to tune the sound quality of my Enigma AMT with some near direct A/B comparison to the IER-Z1R (my NW-WM1A was modded with 2 balanced output of 4.4mm and 2.5mm) so it is rather easy to compare though sensitivity is very different between the 2 IEMs... but :

1) after all the Azla SednaEarfit MAX ASMR tips are really comfortable for hours and seal is near to perfect with IMR ... but .... narrow bores seem to make lows too muddy for my taste and highs missing too much details compared to the IER-Z1R => the result is that sound-stage is significantly narrower with the Enigma AMT.

2) This morning, I changed to largest bore tips from IMR and I went too to IMR Reference filters combination .. now lows are at a better level less muddy, but some textures are missing, highs are more convincing with more significant details...
1707987288443.png
3) sound stage became better but still not at the Z1R level.

It's really tricky to change filters ... so I feel a real pain to try different combinations to feet my taste, it clearly hurts the fingers.

I don't know if AMT drivers need some significant burning period, but if it's the case, that should make every thing more complicated. The large HEDDphone one AMT drivers don't need any burning period, so I hope that is the case with the ultra tiny Enigma too.
Purple + Red + Wide Bore tips.
Sound still not near Z1R ?
Disappointing.

Let me try this combination and check.
Can you tell me which one is the Wide Bore tip exactly ?

I have tried with Azla + Velvet + Corier Brass and none of them work very well i would have to say.
For now i have settled with Azla + Black bottom + blue top.
Will try the reference setting todayand change tips

Feb 15, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #17,327 of 18,541
I think it is unfair to compare the soundstage of Enigma with a soundstage monster as IER-Z1R is,
when it is supposed to not be as wide as Titan e.g.
When you end up to your ideal settings with Enigma (tips, filters), it would be interesting to compare
the two holistically as to details, separation, imaging, texture, tone weight, overall enjoyment.

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #17,328 of 18,541
Rating: MEXT: 8.0 TITAN: 9.0
20240215_140850.jpg

I can elaborate

Feb 15, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #17,329 of 18,541
Purple + Red + Wide Bore tips.
Sound still not near Z1R ?
Disappointing.

Let me try this combination and check.
Can you tell me which one is the Wide Bore tip exactly ?

I have tried with Azla + Velvet + Corier Brass and none of them work very well i would have to say.
For now i have settled with Azla + Black bottom + blue top.
Will try the reference setting todayand change tips
Just sharing, I listened to the titan when it arrived, changed the filters to my personal preference blue+blue (gathered from semper experience) with spiral dot++, then just let it burn in... the whole day, day after day... and I usually would listen an album daily to hear if any difference after one day burn in, which usually there would be. My titan settled down after perhaps a month or so. I remember how I fiddled with the filters when I first got my semper, and realized one set of filters might sound nice today and not so great the next, switched to another and similar things happened; so I did not bother with the filter, nor tips, until I burn them in for a month, THEN fiddled with the filter and tips, to find my preference. It's quite a tiresome task to be honest, having to listen to the same track over and over again... I am not sure the range of music you listen to, I reckon there isn't any perfect combo when my range goes english, cantonese, mandarin, japanese, korean... let alone the different style within each... Just change another set of IEM when the music doesn't sound right :ksc75smile:

Feb 16, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #17,330 of 18,541
Today I decided to stop for a while any tip, filter rolling (at least for the next 600 hours )...
Usually I am not really convinced by any cable or device burning period but as I am really interest by this Enigma AMT (Dual electrostatic version) I will try to go till the end of my research for the right combination for my taste and follow all IMR recommendations..
Actually, I went back to Azla SednaEarfit ASMR as the sound quality was too far from IER Z1R concerning low frequencies with large hole tips...
So I would say comfort is really good, sensitivity much better than Z1R, sound quality is far to be bad as it is right now, though there is a real margin in favour IER-Z1R.
I will leave the Enigma AMT play music for the incoming month for more or less 24 hours a day.. and start to find the proper filters combo for my taste.
By the way, can someone confirm what IMR told me by mail, that Enigma AMT without Dual Electrostatic option has only one pinhole bottom of the 2 pins connectors (I have 2 holes on mine) ?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #17,331 of 18,541
By the way, can someone confirm what IMR told me by mail, that Enigma AMT without Dual Electrostatic option has only one pinhole bottom of the 2 pins connectors (I have 2 holes on mine) ?
In one hand previously dual EST drivers on Avalon and Astra ultraque had only one pipe, in other hand Bob says that enigma as well have double EST drivers, but they have 2 pipes

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #17,332 of 18,541
Today I decided to stop for a while any tip, filter rolling (at least for the next 600 hours )...
Usually I am not really convinced by any cable or device burning period but as I am really interest by this Enigma AMT (Dual electrostatic version) I will try to go till the end of my research for the right combination for my taste and follow all IMR recommendations..
Actually, I went back to Azla SednaEarfit ASMR as the sound quality was too far from IER Z1R concerning low frequencies with large hole tips...
So I would say comfort is really good, sensitivity much better than Z1R, sound quality is far to be bad as it is right now, though there is a real margin in favour IER-Z1R.
I will leave the Enigma AMT play music for the incoming month for more or less 24 hours a day.. and start to find the proper filters combo for my taste.
Well I have ordered an Enigma + DE and the iem has 2 holes near the 2 pin .
whether it is an Enigma / Enigma+DE I do not know.
Ive actually had this question since the beginning, since there is no visual way to tell them apart.
But I will share a picture after removing the filters.
There are already some pictures of the drivers in this forum as to which is the Enigma and which is Enigma+DE.
We should look at those too.

Feb 16, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #17,336 of 18,541
Can any one tell me if this is an Enigma or an Enigma+.
From page 1129 I understand the rectangle is the mems the small tube the est and the amt is the larger tube.
Hope I got that right .
Also another picture with the the 2 pin holes.

Attachments

• IMG20240216232028.jpg
    IMG20240216232028.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20240216231957.jpg
    IMG20240216231957.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #17,337 of 18,541
Can any one tell me if this is an Enigma or an Enigma+.
From page 1129 I understand the rectangle is the mems the small tube the est and the amt is the larger tube.
Hope I got that right .
Also another picture with the the 2 pin holes.
My normal Enigma (not +) has only one tube inside and only one vent hole on top.

Feb 16, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #17,338 of 18,541
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Enigma+ has the best vocal reproduction of any IEM I've ever heard. The tonality, articulation, clarity, subtle tonal changes and inflections, emotion, and center image focus are in my opinion noticeably above any other IEM I've heard before. Even compared to Titan, which was excellent in this regard, Enigma+ stands clearly above it. Other IEMs may have more air, more sparkle, crisper attack, or louder vocal focus. But Enigma+ sounds more real-to-life, more articulate, more clear, and vocals stand out from the background music with more soul and realism.

This surprised me, because even though I knew Titan was good (but not the best I've ever heard), I figured Enigma+ was going to be similar. It isn't. It's FAR superior. That is what surprised me.

I haven't heard ALL of IMR's offerings, but I've heard some of the good ones. And Enigma+ is in my opinion the best overall IEM that Bob has ever produced. I can't really find any weaknesses at this point. Really exceeded my expectations, and I'm grateful for that.

EDIT: As an example, I have a track that I've heard at least 100 times (and probably closer to 200 times) with EVERY IEM I've ever owned, and I always thought the words were "... meant for the taking". There was never a doubt in my mind and I didn't give it a second thought. But after listening to it with Enigma+, I clearly heard "... MINE for the taking". Then I looked up the lyrics and it was indeed "MINE for the taking." Like I said, it's the subtle tonal changes and inflections that are made crystal clear with Enigma+ that I haven't heard with any other IEM before.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #17,339 of 18,541
EDIT: As an example, I have a track that I've heard at least 100 times (and probably closer to 200 times) with EVERY IEM I've ever owned, and I always thought the words were "... meant for the taking". There was never a doubt in my mind and I didn't give it a second thought. But after listening to it with Enigma+, I clearly heard "... MINE for the taking". Then I looked up the lyrics and it was indeed "MINE for the taking." Like I said, it's the subtle tonal changes and inflections that are made crystal clear with Enigma+ that I haven't heard with any other IEM before.
Which song is that?

Feb 17, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #17,340 of 18,541
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Enigma+ has the best vocal reproduction of any IEM I've ever heard. The tonality, articulation, clarity, subtle tonal changes and inflections, emotion, and center image focus are in my opinion noticeably above any other IEM I've heard before. Even compared to Titan, which was excellent in this regard, Enigma+ stands clearly above it. Other IEMs may have more air, more sparkle, crisper attack, or louder vocal focus. But Enigma+ sounds more real-to-life, more articulate, more clear, and vocals stand out from the background music with more soul and realism.

This surprised me, because even though I knew Titan was good (but not the best I've ever heard), I figured Enigma+ was going to be similar. It isn't. It's FAR superior. That is what surprised me.

I haven't heard ALL of IMR's offerings, but I've heard some of the good ones. And Enigma+ is in my opinion the best overall IEM that Bob has ever produced. I can't really find any weaknesses at this point. Really exceeded my expectations, and I'm grateful for that.

AMT on Enigma provides something almost magic giving t vocals a unique kind of feedback.
I tryed to open up Enigma's shell. This is what I found inside:
magic-meme.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back