Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 10, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #16,204 of 18,142
Elan+ the fastest bass, more sub bass than mid. With the silver cable they are really sparkling and the lightest among these three. They are more monitor like, sound stage is the closest. Perfect for electronic music, not forgiving bad recordings - metal as an example, only good recs sounds well.
Avalon have slightly more relaxed bass, more mid bass but less sub than Elan+. Holographic sound and overall larger sound stage, than other two. Forgiving bad recordings, good if you are treble phobic. Treble are really detailed, but not accented. Slightly darker than Elan+ and more analogic. As well as Elan+ I get the best sound for my ears with the silver cable. Because of the balance between all the frequencies. Good for jazz, orchestral and chamber music or an old rock and bad recorded metal.
Dark Matter are similar to Avalon, but more focused on mid range. Treble are simpler. Good for the folk and blues.
Thank you

Jan 11, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #16,205 of 18,142
I dare say, it is Avalon which is overall the better performer, being detailed enough, smooth and unfatiguing with better soundstage, depth and transients, offering an eerie sense of atmosphere which MEXT unfortunately lacks.
On the other hand, MEXT is more detailed and forward with an otherworldly palpable bass and crisp mids. I do hear new things with this babies which is refreshing. But it is a bit fatiguing, at least to me, both sound- and fit-wise.

20240111_090506.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #16,207 of 18,142
I dare say, it is Avalon which is overall the better performer, being detailed enough, smooth and unfatiguing with better soundstage, depth and transients, offering an eerie sense of atmosphere which MEXT unfortunately lacks.
On the other hand, MEXT is more detailed and forward with an otherworldly palpable bass and crisp mids. I do hear new things with this babies which is refreshing. But it is a bit fatiguing, at least to me, both sound- and fit-wise.
Does the mext and mest mk2 sound similar.
My experience with Avalon and mest mk2 are exactly the same as you've described
I almost thought you were comparing the mest mk2 with avalon

Jan 11, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #16,209 of 18,142
Does the mext and mest mk2 sound similar.
My experience with Avalon and mest mk2 are exactly the same as you've described
I almost thought you were comparing the mest mk2 with avalon
same for me mest mk2 is waaay thinner than Avalon and most of IMR’s. It feels like lower midrange is their weakest place.
So I use CEMA 22awg copper with Mest mk2 to bring more body to the sound.

But on the other side, mest mk2 isolates exceptionally well and are my 1-st choice for noisy places.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #16,210 of 18,142
same for me mest mk2 is waaay thinner than Avalon and most of IMR’s. It feels like lower midrange is their weakest place.
So I use CEMA 22awg copper with Mest mk2 to bring more body to the sound.

But on the other side, mest mk2 isolates exceptionally well and are my 1-st choice for noisy places.
Yes mest mk2 thinner I agree, but I can hear more nuances with mest. Instruments I can hear separate. I like that.

Also another weird thing I noticed, imr doesn't handle cymbals , hi hats well .
It's almost as if they are kind or missing.
This i felt for both Avalon and Seraph.

Seraph overall I like way better. But separation better in mest mk2 ?

Avalon also bass and mids love em.

All different and good.
I'd like to hear and own a top totl iem someday soon.
Perhaps Enigma would be it.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #16,211 of 18,142
Another strange thing, imr iems sound completely different with different cables. Like different iems altogether.
That's interesting.
Silver different and copper different.
But um mest mk2 sounded bad with code 23 , lavri and ares and good with the black cable it came with . Don't know why.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #16,213 of 18,142
That was exactly my feeling about many IMR models like old EDP, Avalon and Seraph, that I was missing treble and air very much. Cymbals and high hats were very muffled, the least to have that problem was Avalon. Now I am really enjoying the UM mest2 and its refined airy sound. But I guess it is just a matter of taste, some people just love the imr tuning. And it also depends of what kind of music you hear or what gear are you using. I remember how nice the Seraph was listening to acoustic music or jazz but very disappointing with rockish stuff, so for a metal head like me it was not the best thing.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #16,214 of 18,142
That was the reason I have returned my Elan+
Everything was fine - as I was thinking back then - but cymbals and high hats were sounding like from an old cassette.

After I got my 64 Audio Volür I realized what High End on an IEM means...

On another note, tonight my IMR Dawn will complete 216 hours of burn-in and I must say they are really fun and enjoyable to listen to! Unbelievable soundstage, instrument separation, treble and bass for such a tiny IEM!

I am really happy for IMR's gift - I haven't paid anything for them :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #16,215 of 18,142
Elan+ does very well with cymbals, for my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back