Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #16,171 of 18,130
Would you say that MEST MK2 is a better IEM than TITAN?
I do not have either but from what I read, MEST MK2 must be significantly less bassy.
I had Mest2 and Titan, Mest2 sound good, but I liked the sound of TITAN more, because the sound of TITAN is some kind of magic, which literally made “goose bumps” appear when I listened to it and something pounded in my chest.
So I decided to order Enigma+EST.
But Bob is silent and it's sad...

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #16,173 of 18,130
I will disagree with the MEST Mk2 comment. I found MEXT to be much better than MEST Mk2, especially in the bass. Indigo was better than MEXT but I thought MEXT was a bit more musical sounding.

I sold MEXT and Indigo. And I still own Szalayi. In my opinion, it has a better sonic presentation and much better bass than both of the UM offerings. Certainly not as neutral or "accurate" as either of them, but unless you're directly comparing them back to back, you'll never know the difference, and the improvement in soundstage and bass quality/quantity is noticeably better with Szalayi. IMO, of course.
I had mest2 and szalay on hands at the same moment and was not impressed by szalay, mest2 has better midrange, better staging and is easier to drive. Also, szalay is significantly bigger (one of the largest iem out there) than mest which can be a deal breaker for people without huge ears.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #16,174 of 18,130
I had mest2 and szalay on hands at the same moment and was not impressed by szalay, mest2 has better midrange, better staging and is easier to drive. Also, szalay is significantly bigger (one of the largest iem out there) than mest which can be a deal breaker for people without huge ears.
Funny thing about the size of the Szalayi that you mention. I agree the shell appears really large, but for some reason it has the most comfortable fit for me. Sort of like OG MEST... the shell was huge but it fit perfectly.

I agree on MEST2 midrange. The Szalayi is slightly thin in that area, but extremely clear and forward. It suits the type of electronica that I listen to, and I believe is what the original poster asked about.

I will add one very important thing about Szalayi - - the tips make a huge difference in performance. Clarion TRI tips are the best tips by a HUGE margin for the Szalayi. If you weren't able to hear the Szalayi with the Clarion tips, then I would say you couldn't make a real comparison. It truly makes THAT much of a difference in sound.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #16,175 of 18,130
Given the lack of real, new IMR units in the hands of users, it's interesting (also, probably inevitable and a little sad) that our posts in this thread are now about all kinds of other IEMs. That's happened before, here and there, which is fine. Good to have some feedback on what's out there and how they compare to IMR and all that.

Is this what this group is now? Not complaining, just observing. In an IMR new model desert, all other IEMs are an oasis, I guess.

Jan 8, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #16,176 of 18,130
Time will tell from the IMR website holding pages I would say a rebrand and relaunch is in the process of being implemented maybe from the ashes something beautiful will grow... Or maybe not.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #16,177 of 18,130
In my limited opinion, IMR can't regain its customers trust by selling rebranded chinese IEMs like Dawn or soon to be released DAC or DAP (which I guess will be just a rebranded item).
The only way is to first deliver all the promised products like EH, Nale, Zion and Enigma. or at least if not able to deliver then initiate refund for all of its customers who have not either asked for or received one.
Bob has to stop the pre-order model of business. Instead he has to sell the original in-stock items even if he manages to build only 10 or 20 in numbers. Once it starts selling and get good feedback, then there is a chance that whatever customer he has lost due to his dubious business nautre and all sort of lies, may consider him for second chance.

Jan 8, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #16,178 of 18,130
Time will tell from the IMR website holding pages I would say a rebrand and relaunch is in the process of being implemented maybe from the ashes something beautiful will grow... Or maybe not.

never expected to IMR offering DAPs and DACs, so something "new" is definitely stirring.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #16,179 of 18,130
never expected to IMR offering DAPs and DACs, so something "new" is definitely stirring.
I'm just speculating, but it seems that IMR needs cash and they're trying to sell Chinese stuff at high prices to do it. Either they owe money to creditors or they blew through the pre-order money and need liquidity. There's no telling if or when any original IMR stuff will ever be built again.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #16,181 of 18,130
I'm just speculating, but it seems that IMR needs cash and they're trying to sell Chinese stuff at high prices to do it. Either they owe money to creditors or they blew through the pre-order money and need liquidity. There's no telling if or when any original IMR stuff will ever be built again.

Yep, that mostly aligns with my theories.

Or ... the bombshell theory would be something like Bob's had to merge (or enter a closer partnership) with his Chinese part makers and now he "has to" sell their stuff. Branded IMR of course.

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #16,182 of 18,130
I did enjoy the down time thank you. I hope you also had a very enjoyable one.

The reason for the change is we now use a different brand of conduction motor, same effect just not sonion.

The rebuilds are finished on the 16th and start packing to ship on the 17th.

We have the first batch of Enigmas out the door and the 2nd lot are going out the same time as the Na-Le rebuilds.

Cables will be Pro versions.

Regards
Bob
Owner
IMR Acoustics
www.imracoustics.com

Jan 8, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #16,184 of 18,130
Funny thing about the size of the Szalayi that you mention. I agree the shell appears really large, but for some reason it has the most comfortable fit for me. Sort of like OG MEST... the shell was huge but it fit perfectly.

I agree on MEST2 midrange. The Szalayi is slightly thin in that area, but extremely clear and forward. It suits the type of electronica that I listen to, and I believe is what the original poster asked about.

I will add one very important thing about Szalayi - - the tips make a huge difference in performance. Clarion TRI tips are the best tips by a HUGE margin for the Szalayi. If you weren't able to hear the Szalayi with the Clarion tips, then I would say you couldn't make a real comparison. It truly makes THAT much of a difference in sound.
I agree with your impressions, Szalayi is a rather particular iem, great sub-bass, exceptional voices, very clear highs, images and excellent soundstage... but I find that the clarion tips are not the best at all...
I find for me much more balanced with symbio silicone tips and with those of the Denon pearl pro naturally everyone feels differently..

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #16,185 of 18,130
I did enjoy the down time thank you. I hope you also had a very enjoyable one.

The reason for the change is we now use a different brand of conduction motor, same effect just not sonion.

The rebuilds are finished on the 16th and start packing to ship on the 17th.

We have the first batch of Enigmas out the door and the 2nd lot are going out the same time as the Na-Le rebuilds.

Cables will be Pro versions.

Regards
Bob
Owner
IMR Acoustics
www.imracoustics.com
I thought that only Sonion makes BC drivers. Don't know about any other manfacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back