Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 5, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #15,571 of 18,013
😫😫😫

1701772414438.png

The Dillinger Escape Plan's lyrics emerges in my head:

1701772741012.png

@yaps66 totally agree regarding Seraph+ (S+), Ive got Seraph (S) the same thing but without EST drivers.
MEM(e)s drivers have a revealing transparency. Nothing like this was made before by IMR. Comparing to my another favourite IMR Astra Ultraque (AU) they have more intimate sound, but more forwarded mids in more thunderous sub-bass. Meanwhile, on AU mid bass is more present and energetic.
Treble as you said may appear slightly bright, idk how they are on S+ but on S comparing to AU mems treble is equally resolving but slightly drier, probably because of of absence of the EST drivers that usually provide lengthy and liquid like treble.
Same thing about bad records AU are more forgiving and S are more demanding.
I think Seraph+ is confusing because of the existence of both MEM and EST drivers. I am not sure if one negates the other or if they are complimentary. I cannot tell. The other confusion for me is that Titan has BCD also.

When a/b Titan and Seraph+ the differences are not night and day but if you listen closely you can tell the difference. Whether the differences could be more apparent without EST in Seraph+ would be interesting to see.

Either way, I love both Titan and Seraph+ and I am glad to have heard both.

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #15,572 of 18,013
The other confusion for me is that Titan has BCD also.
From what I hear MEMs drivers provide a similar experience that BC do on upper mid range.
Whether the differences could be more apparent without EST in Seraph+ would be interesting to see.
When or if I finally get Enigma I can send you my Seraph to listen to.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #15,573 of 18,013
From what I hear MEMs drivers provide a similar experience that BC do on upper mid range.

When of if I finally get Enigma I can send you my Seraph to listen to.
The other confusion for me is that MEMs drivers are supposed to have a separate charger/energizer to be driven properly. As I understand it, this “handicap” has not been overcome yet. This is why the coming Noble iem with MEMs drivers has USB C connectors to draw power directly from a phone/DAP.

Not sure how Seraph+ is being driven without the separate charger/energizer. Perhaps it is being only partially driven and not to its full potential?

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #15,574 of 18,013
The other confusion for me is that MEMs drivers are supposed to have a separate charger/energizer to be driven properly. As I understand it, this “handicap” has not been overcome yet. This is why the coming Noble iem with MEMs drivers has USB C connectors to draw power directly from a phone/DAP.

Not sure how Seraph+ is being driven without the separate charger/energizer. Perhaps it is being only partially driven and not to its full potential?
You've hit the nail on the head. Own the Seraph, and spoke to Bob about it in happier IMR times - as I've posted previously, he looked at incorporating the Energiser, but the size of it at the time would have either required an in line amp in the cable or an IEM shell bigger than the old JH Audio siren series monstrosities (he sent me a pic - it's not small). Imagine this issue will be resolved by xMEMS over time, but the effect of running a non-energised MEMS driver is apparently losing a lot of the bass output, as it rolls off in the lower end without the additional juice.

Hence why the Seraph is DD/2xBA/MEMS - the MEMS starts contributing toward the higher end, replacing the EST in that equation.

Now, how much audible output you can get from a non energised MEMS driver is way above my level of understanding, but from what Bob said, the extra bass and low midrange body the fully driven MEMS tech brings wasn't worth the compromise in size and usability, especially when he had access to such excellent DD drivers (and whatever BAs he's using in there) to fill the hole.

In effect, the lack of Energiser is acting like a crossover for the MEMS. Or at least, that's how it was explained to me. Personally, the Seraph has the best detail retrieval of any IMR I've heard so far (I have not heard the Titan or S+), so whatever it was he put in there, it works for me. :wink:

Dec 5, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #15,575 of 18,013
You've hit the nail on the head. Own the Seraph, and spoke to Bob about it in happier IMR times - as I've posted previously, he looked at incorporating the Energiser, but the size of it at the time would have either required an in line amp in the cable or an IEM shell bigger than the old JH Audio siren series monstrosities (he sent me a pic - it's not small). Imagine this issue will be resolved by xMEMS over time, but the effect of running a non-energised MEMS driver is apparently losing a lot of the bass output, as it rolls off in the lower end without the additional juice.

Hence why the Seraph is DD/2xBA/MEMS - the MEMS starts contributing toward the higher end, replacing the EST in that equation.

Now, how much audible output you can get from a non energised MEMS driver is way above my level of understanding, but from what Bob said, the extra bass and low midrange body the fully driven MEMS tech brings wasn't worth the compromise in size and usability, especially when he had access to such excellent DD drivers (and whatever BAs he's using in there) to fill the hole.

In effect, the lack of Energiser is acting like a crossover for the MEMS. Or at least, that's how it was explained to me. Personally, the Seraph has the best detail retrieval of any IMR I've heard so far (I have not heard the Titan or S+), so whatever it was he put in there, it works for me. :wink:
Thanks for the explanation! That’s really useful in clearing up some of my confusion! I guess the MEMs driver in the Seraph+ must be doing something to the bass also because it is quite phenomenal. I don’t have the IMR BC to compare against, but the bass on Seraph+ it is certainly half a step up from the Titan and a full step up from Dark Matter.

The best bass for me is represented by iems such as Fatfreq Maestro SE, Empire Ears Odyssey, Nightjar Singularity and FiR Xe6. The bass on the Seraph+ approaches those levels. I am not saying that it competes with those bass monsters. But it is not far behind.

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #15,576 of 18,013
Wonder what the result would be if some of you vowed not to shave until you got your order? :thinking:

1701801354487.png

"Event Horizon is incoming. Just mailed Bob and got a response that it'll be dispatched later today or early tomorrow. Fingers crossed."

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #15,577 of 18,013
1701801354487.png
"Event Horizon is incoming. Just mailed Bob and got a response that it'll be dispatched later today or early tomorrow. Fingers crossed."
That is a beard 🤣

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #15,578 of 18,013
1701801354487.png
Information 100%? I'm sobbing, choking on beer.

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #15,580 of 18,013
Or does the caption go with the picture ... ie, someone is still waiting forever for EH?

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #15,583 of 18,013
I've got the Ifi-audio Diablo 2 in my mucky paws to trial, it has xMems mode to provide the necessary power/tech for xMems earphones, apparently developed with xMems.
Annoyingly I don't have a seraph to try with

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #15,584 of 18,013
I've got the Ifi-audio Diablo 2 in my mucky paws to trial, it has xMems mode to provide the necessary power/tech for xMems earphones, apparently developed with xMems.
Annoyingly I don't have a seraph to try with
Would be very interesting to explore the synergy.
But as @Jackpot77 says these are non powered mems and not xmems ?
So there might be no difference at all from other dac amps ?
I wanted to try this combination too but i only have the seraph and not the diablo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back