Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 4, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #15,121 of 18,013
Add me to the list of Divinus Velvet triers. I've been using (and loving) Spiral Dot++ for the last 18 months. What caught my eye with the Velvet is that the L is listed as 14.2mm. My right ear hole is huge, and I've been hoping to find something a little bigger than the Spiral Dot 14mm. I haven't measured the precise size, but I do think the promised extra .2mm does make a difference for a total seal.

On the Elan+, I feel like the sound opens up just a tad. Really like them.

And, using them with an adapter, they are really nice on my Airpods Pro.

photo_2023-11-04_14-27-33.jpg

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #15,122 of 18,013
My Szalayi's are working again and sound (very) good with graphene coated cable and S&S tips. Can anyone recommend a filter combo that would come close to the tuning for my Seraph? Red lowers with purple filters are very good but a little too mid centric and I'd like to bring out the bass and highs a little more. Gold/gold is ok but the highs could be better.

Nov 4, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #15,123 of 18,013
My Szalayi's are working again and sound (very) good with graphene coated cable and S&S tips. Can anyone recommend a filter combo that would come close to the tuning for my Seraph? Red lowers with purple filters are very good but a little too mid centric and I'd like to bring out the bass and highs a little more. Gold/gold is ok but the highs could be better.
you don't need mirror to see your own hands :)

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #15,125 of 18,013
The treble filters have different densities of foam inside them. If you are close to finding the perfect sound you could try making or tweaking a set of upperfilters with anything from foam to toilet tissue.
There are a number of headphones that have had very successful treble perfected by 2 or even just 1 ply / sheet.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #15,127 of 18,013
How does the szalai compare with Avalon or Seraph ? Or is it completely different.
There were a few available for 650 usd used . Do you think the szalai worth that much ?

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #15,128 of 18,013
How does the szalai compare with Avalon or Seraph ? Or is it completely different.
There were a few available for 650 usd used . Do you think the szalai worth that much ?

Really like the tuning of Szalayi, it's one of my favourite iem's. Crisp punchy bass, large sound stage, vocals are a stand out, airy with no harshness. Though they are warmer than Seraph which have more detail. Szalayi's need much more volume.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #15,129 of 18,013
It's just there's around 30 combinations and others here have a better idea of what works well.

Red/Red is quite good.
I know, it is really painful to do all the combinations of the filters and get settled. But, this is the fun part of it. I believe to get the true sense of the audio, the entire audio chain of your possession like source of the audio, the player portable or non portable, genere of music you listened to frequently etc. matters.

I am assuming since you have multiple IMR iems, you are familiar with the variation of bass and treble of mutiple combinations. Gold bass filter has an extra layer of mesh which makes sound more analogish and I guess a bit congested in my opinion.

Actually I follow these steps when I settle for a specific combo of filters of IMR:
1. I first select two or three of my favorite songs FLAC or WAV 16 bit 44 khz cdrip which I know they are very well recorded and am familiar with certain nuiances of it. I don't do online streaming though. I don't think my ears are that trained which can distinguished between a very high resolution like 24bit 96Khz or more and a just basic 16bit CD rip. So I don't chase very high resolution.

2. Then I choose my portable or desktop/laptop as player simple setup, no big dac/amps etc. etc.

3. Third is the right selection of eartips which is the most ignored part in the entire portable audio chain I belive. If you don't get the right seal and comfort with the eartips, then your selection of filters proves to be a futile excercise.

4. Finally I start listening with one filter combination when I am relaxed not tired so that I can pay attention to the variation and so on. I keep listening the the combo for at least all three songs and then take a break for 10-15 minutes and then listen again all two or three songs, make a small note etc. Then I keep trying multiple combination for multiple days and once I like the combination finally I get settled to it, no more chasing to achieve the sound Nivana........... :)

Utlitmately, it is your ears to decide what sound best for you.

Happy listening !!

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #15,130 of 18,013
Personally I never tried all the filter combinations as I would probably end up chasing stars and never satisfied. I start with red/purple or purple/red, basically what imr booklet states as reference. Then if i feel like there is lack of/excess of low end I move up/down the lower filter chain according to the same IMR booklet. The only outlier is golden lower which is really different from all the rest. When satisfied with that then I may play with upper ones a bit, but for me they aren't different enough to really "invest" in that, so I don't bother too much and just pick which sounds better in the moment and call it a day.

If later at any point I feel like playing more I simply play more but I don't take it seriously and try to make it perfect.

And I also like a different set for movies then for music. That's also why for me personally filterless IMR kind of don't feel like a proper IMR 😉

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #15,131 of 18,013
I apologize, but all discussions of past imr projects now look and are perceived as a discussion of the deceased. The deceased who periodically taps from the coffin, the coffin which lies under a two-meter layer of earth.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #15,132 of 18,013
I apologize, but all discussions of past imr projects now look and are perceived as a discussion of the deceased. The deceased who periodically taps from the coffin, the coffin which lies under a two-meter layer of earth.
This is the unfortunate side-effect of IMR's release cycle. Had the individual models been constantly available for purchase, there would have been more discussion of them. As such, each release is soon overshadowed by the announcement of the next model and the associated speculation. All discussion of the latest releases dies quite quickly.

Nov 6, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #15,133 of 18,013
Add me to the list of Divinus Velvet triers. I've been using (and loving) Spiral Dot++ for the last 18 months. What caught my eye with the Velvet is that the L is listed as 14.2mm. My right ear hole is huge, and I've been hoping to find something a little bigger than the Spiral Dot 14mm. I haven't measured the precise size, but I do think the promised extra .2mm does make a difference for a total seal.

On the Elan+, I feel like the sound opens up just a tad. Really like them.

And, using them with an adapter, they are really nice on my Airpods Pro.

Personally I never tried all the filter combinations as I would probably end up chasing stars and never satisfied. I start with red/purple or purple/red, basically what imr booklet states as reference. Then if i feel like there is lack of/excess of low end I move up/down the lower filter chain according to the same IMR booklet. The only outlier is golden lower which is really different from all the rest. When satisfied with that then I may play with upper ones a bit, but for me they aren't different enough to really "invest" in that, so I don't bother too much and just pick which sounds better in the moment and call it a day.

If later at any point I feel like playing more I simply play more but I don't take it seriously and try to make it perfect.

And I also like a different set for movies then for music. That's also why for me personally filterless IMR kind of don't feel like a proper IMR 😉
After the long burn-in and the Tripowin Altea cable (for my Ozar), I use grey/red. This for me is the most balanced sound. Sub bass stays deep enough, not as low as with black (bottom), but tighter. Mids are clear.

For more forward vocals, slightly darker top end... Grey/green. This is an easy listening type sound.

I never liked Gold (bottom). You're right that it's the most noticeable change to bass. More analogue and punch.... But I always found it muddy.

I do find black (bottom) audibly the deepest in sub bass, not many miles tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back