Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #12,706 of 18,128
The Seraph+ finally landed. Had some delay at customs but a quick communication with Brandon from IMR Acoustics solved the issue.

OOTB, I am in love with these. Resolution monsters. The upper-mids and treble walk the line on being tizzy but never crossing it. These are some of the fastest sounding transients I have heard. Very impactful. I put that down to the MEMS drivers. Very effortless.

Staging is both wide and holographic. On to the burn-in rig they go and see how they develop.

The bass on these are excellent also. These are sub-bass focused and rumble plenty when called on. Bob's magic on display here and he does not disappoint.

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Can't wait to hear what Titan sounds like!

May 5, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #12,707 of 18,128
Weekly Titan check. Anyone else get theirs? So far only one person on Head Fi appears to have gotten theirs.
No, still stuck somewhere in the Royal Mail System. I pushed Bob for some definitive action today and he replied that on Tuesday they had asked Royal Mail to trace the shipments if they could. He submitted all postage receipts and details to RM today as requested and is now waiting for a response, expected next week.

May 5, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #12,708 of 18,128
The Seraph+ finally landed. Had some delay at customs but a quick communication with Brandon from IMR Acoustics solved the issue.

OOTB, I am in love with these. Resolution monsters. The upper-mids and treble walk the line on being tizzy but never crossing it. These are some of the fastest sounding transients I have heard. Very impactful. I put that down to the MEMS drivers. Very effortless.

Staging is both wide and holographic. On to the burn-in rig they go and see how they develop.

The bass on these are excellent also. These are sub-bass focused and rumble plenty when called on. Bob's magic on display here and he does not disappoint.

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

Can't wait to hear what Titan sounds like!
My Seraph+ now have well over 650 hours on them and I am listening to them a lot. I'm still running black/black, the stock black pro cable, Spinfit W1 tips driven by my Mojo 2. Still enjoying the spacial experience and the tonality and will do some experimenting to fine tune the sound in the next few days. Treble might have a bit too much sharpness and I would be happy to have a fraction more warmth in the bass/sub bass. But just as they are they are wonderful.
Hold On by Amber Rubarth is one of my favorite tracks. It's binaural so the instruments are way out to the left and right and the Seraph+ does that spacing massively. But the wonderfull part is Amber's vocal. On everything else I have the vocal is slightly recessed, but on the Seraph+ it is right there dominating the center.
I use Themes from Pirates of the Caribbean as a test of how well the IEMS handle a complicated track and here the Seraph+ are wonderful again, presenting the details despite all that is going on.
And they are enjoyable!!!

May 7, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #12,713 of 18,128
Still need to add some serious hours to my Seraph, but initial impressions are it has the most detail of any IMR I've heard to date, and I've heard / owned the vast majority of them. Slightly brighter and crunchier than gear line the BC2023, but the separation, soundstage and layering are all worthy of a proper flagship level in ear.

Wary of new toy syndrome so will wait a couple of weeks until I've got a few hundred hours burned in to the drivers, but at the moment, it's feeling like a statement. Can understand why Bob is persisting with the MEMS design for his promised "in stock" model in future.

May 7, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #12,715 of 18,128
Still need to add some serious hours to my Seraph, but initial impressions are it has the most detail of any IMR I've heard to date, and I've heard / owned the vast majority of them. Slightly brighter and crunchier than gear line the BC2023, but the separation, soundstage and layering are all worthy of a proper flagship level in ear.

Wary of new toy syndrome so will wait a couple of weeks until I've got a few hundred hours burned in to the drivers, but at the moment, it's feeling like a statement. Can understand why Bob is persisting with the MEMS design for his promised "in stock" model in future.
I think that has to do with the MEMS driver. When I heard the MEMS driver in CanJam Singapore recently, those had to be driven by a separate amplifier/energizer. What I heard then was a very fast driver which was both bright and "crunchy". The Seraph+ has those characteristics which I assume is down to the MEMS. Difference is the Seraph+ does not need a separate amplifier/energizer, and the Seraph+ has ESTs also. When I a/b Elan+ and Seraph+ (I don't have Seraph), the Elan+ sounds veiled.

May 7, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #12,716 of 18,128
I think that has to do with the MEMS driver. When I heard the MEMS driver in CanJam Singapore recently, those had to be driven by a separate amplifier/energizer. What I heard then was a very fast driver which was both bright and "crunchy". The Seraph+ has those characteristics which I assume is down to the MEMS. Difference is the Seraph+ does not need a separate amplifier/energizer, and the Seraph+ has ESTs also. When I a/b Elan+ and Seraph+ (I don't have Seraph), the Elan+ sounds veiled.
The MEMS driver in the Seraph and Seraph+ is the same as the ones in Canjam - IMR are running them without the energizer. According to Bob, that causes the driver to roll off massively in the low end and lower mids, but the size of the amp module isn't worth running the driver full range, according to him. Basically, taking the amp module away acts as a crossover of sorts for the MEMS driver, so you get the detail up in the highs but it doesn't add anything to the lower frequencies.

Given IMR have some of the best bass drivers in the business, seems like a fair trade off to me. Bob showed me a pic of a demo model he built with the energizer inside - it made the original JH Audio 1st generation IEMs look small. :wink:

May 7, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #12,717 of 18,128
The MEMS driver in the Seraph and Seraph+ is the same as the ones in Canjam - IMR are running them without the energizer. According to Bob, that causes the driver to roll off massively in the low end and lower mids, but the size of the amp module isn't worth running the driver full range, according to him. Basically, taking the amp module away acts as a crossover of sorts for the MEMS driver, so you get the detail up in the highs but it doesn't add anything to the lower frequencies.

Given IMR have some of the best bass drivers in the business, seems like a fair trade off to me. Bob showed me a pic of a demo model he built with the energizer inside - it made the original JH Audio 1st generation IEMs look small. :wink:
Makes sense. The bass on the Seraph+ is so well tuned and with the combination of the MEMS and est on the Seraph+ I get the sense of both speed an extension in the treble which is nice!

May 7, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #12,718 of 18,128
Hi all, I am posting a photo of the 3 cables that came with my Elan+
From left to right: 3.5m, 2.5mm in the middle, 4.4mm

Is there something wrong with these cables? Only the 2.5mm looks normal to me.

Attachments

• cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #12,719 of 18,128
Hi all, I am posting a photo of the 3 cables that came with my Elan+
From left to right: 3.5m, 2.5mm in the middle, 4.4mm

Is there something wrong with these cables? Only the 2.5mm looks normal to me.
Sadly, the braiding on the IMR Pro cables (the ones in the picture) has always been really loose. Nice sounding cables, but the braid really hurts the aesthetic appeal. Any replacement cable you get will either look like that to start or will probably slowly untwist over time anyway.

If it bothers you hugely then you could always use something like a hairdryer to gently warm the wires and re-twist yourself - that is very much at users own risk, though. :wink:

May 7, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #12,720 of 18,128
Sadly, the braiding on the IMR Pro cables (the ones in the picture) has always been really loose. Nice sounding cables, but the braid really hurts the aesthetic appeal. Any replacement cable you get will either look like that to start or will probably slowly untwist over time anyway.

If it bothers you hugely then you could always use something like a hairdryer to gently warm the wires and re-twist yourself - that is very much at users own risk, though. :wink:
Oh okay, I see, I didn't know, thank you 👍I thought only my cables were like that.
It's OK, as long as it works it's fine by me.

Thank you

PS: In any case, today, like 20 min ago, my Elan+ have reached 696 hours or 29 days of playback/burn-in time, so I think it's rational to start experimenting a bit. So I've replaced the stock cable with my NiceHCK cable. Sounds good, so far.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back