Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #11,206 of 18,514
Going to sleep on it, decision fatigue this late in the evening. Waiting for my Aür to be made, but its a very different approach than IMR iems. Been reading here for a while and been interested Dark Matter, but because of availability and the price of the BC this is probably better. I have been on a look for a IEM with the timbre closer to my ZMF Verite.

Started to review stuff again, so will probably do a written review after a long time of use and burn in.
Very wise :wink: Would be very interested in any similarities with the ZMF's They seem to be very highly regarded
Anyway do let us know. More feedback the better

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #11,207 of 18,514
High praise indeed, with the discount it isn't too pricy either. Living in Norway its just over the pond:relaxed:
To what discount are you referring?

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #11,208 of 18,514
Once you start using IMR monitors you will learn what real tuning is. The typical chifi set is suddenly far too shouty or very unexciting.

It's a shame that many IMR monitors dont get graphed by any reviewer out there. I would love to try to EQ some IEMs to match the IMR tunings just to see what would happen.

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #11,209 of 18,514
To what discount are you referring?
Earlier customers get discount codes for certain launches, excuse me if its a secret like how Penon does it.

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #11,210 of 18,514
Once you start using IMR monitors you will learn what real tuning is. The typical chifi set is suddenly far too shouty or very unexciting.

It's a shame that many IMR monitors dont get graphed by any reviewer out there. I would love to try to EQ some IEMs to match the IMR tunings just to see what would happen.
Biggest problem with many Chi-fi IEMs is that the makers have a different audience they are making for, in general in Asia people prefer brighter signatures that goes well with typical vocal Asian music. But not all makers are the same, what I learned after diving into the Penon and ISN stuff. They tune different than most other brands that mimics the Harman or Moondrop tunings.

And as always its awesome to keep smaller makers going, as their drive is often passion more than greed.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #11,212 of 18,514
Going to sleep on it, decision fatigue this late in the evening. Waiting for my Aür to be made, but its a very different approach than IMR iems. Been reading here for a while and been interested Dark Matter, but because of availability and the price of the BC this is probably better. I have been on a look for a IEM with the timbre closer to my ZMF Verite.

Started to review stuff again, so will probably do a written review after a long time of use and burn in.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly since I don't own a Verite Open or a BC, but I can say that I rarely listen to anything other than my ZMFs and IMRs. I think they compliment each other quite well.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #11,213 of 18,514
Just been A/B..ing the Zenith II to the IMR 2023 Bass Cannon. I :hearts: the Zenith II, but I :hearts::hearts::hearts: the Bass Cannon. In every respect it is IMHO far better. Clearer, cleaner more present midrange, better bass and treble. The Zenith II is dull in comparison, yet I still love my Zenith II. The 2023 Bass Cannon is an evolution and defines IMR house sound. :hearts::hearts::hearts: it.
Tempted to get the 2023 BC to compare with the OG. But just received my limited run of 634 Ears Loak BSB remake, that pulsating bass is captivating.

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #11,214 of 18,514
The 2023 promise of not buying so much gear this year har started wrong. Aür Audio Neon Pro and the IMR BC is ordered.
I can hope that I want to sell something after both arrives to fund it.

The latest impressions sealed the deal for me on BC together with them being in stock.

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #11,215 of 18,514
Having a delightful experience with my DMs. Not sure what happened, but I have them on my Cayin RU6 R2R DAC with Black and Red filters with SS20 tips. The combination is proving delightful. Sound is warm and full with plenty of low end, surprisingly wide soundstage (the RU6s tend to narrow things in) and thanks to the way the SS20s control the bass and let the treble come through, lots of life in the upper end. Highly recommended.
Great advise. I've been told yesterday that my DM weren't burned in even halfway by their previous owner. By now I think I'm somewhere close to 250-300 hours, and unfortunately still can't describe my Dark Matter as pleasant experience. They're still shouty in upper mids, shy in treble and kinda veiled soundstage. I really hope that 500 hours of burn in will help, otherwise, it'll be a lot of dissapointment.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #11,216 of 18,514
Great advise. I've been told yesterday that my DM weren't burned in even halfway by their pre-owner. By now I think I'm somewhere close to 250-300 hours, and unfortunately still can't describe my Dark Matter as pleasant experience. They're still shouty in upper mids, shy in treble and kinda veiled soundstage. I really hope that 500 hours of burn in will help, otherwise, it'll be a lot of dissapointment.
I had an Ozar with Glue in the chamber...a lot, and I had a 'wrong' Dark Matter. The Ozar was a used version. First was the Ozar, which I had bought used, he sent me a new one as soon as he received it from me. Astonishing and it sounds wonderful (on loan at moment). The Dark Matter was just not 'right' and it was replaced by the beautiful replacement Dark Matter Bob sent. 'Oh my gawd', perfection. Perfect 'archetypal' IMR, juicy bass... DM I ❤️❤️❤️ you. Sometimes you can get one that is 'wrong'. If you are clear that it is not right Bob will exchange it. You will 'know' if it is not right. The 'After Care' from Bob is astonishing. The very reason I persevere with his 'creatiions'

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #11,217 of 18,514
My first IMR, the IMR Rah (2023 Model), just arrived.

Left channel works, right channel works.

See you after 400 hours.

Attachments

• IMR_Rah.jpg
    IMR_Rah.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #11,218 of 18,514
The 2023 promise of not buying so much gear this year har started wrong. Aür Audio Neon Pro and the IMR BC is ordered.
I can hope that I want to sell something after both arrives to fund it.

The latest impressions sealed the deal for me on BC together with them being in stock.
Aür Audio and IMR Acoustics! Slippery slope!

Both brands open up a new world....they are totally different but they stand out in their respective presentations.

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #11,220 of 18,514
I had an Ozar with Glue in the chamber...a lot, and I had a 'wrong' Dark Matter. The Ozar was a used version. First was the Ozar, which I had bought used, he sent me a new one as soon as he received it from me. Astonishing and it sounds wonderful (on loan at moment). The Dark Matter was just not 'right' and it was replaced by the beautiful replacement Dark Matter Bob sent. 'Oh my gawd', perfection. Perfect 'archetypal' IMR, juicy bass... DM I ❤️❤️❤️ you. Sometimes you can get one that is 'wrong'. If you are clear that it is not right Bob will exchange it. You will 'know' if it is not right. The After care from Bob is astonishing. The very reason I persevere with his 'creatiions'
I don't think there's something wrong with them. The bass is pretty much there, and there's a lot of bass, but it's not that monstrous as it was on New Aten. Let's say DM have "entry basshead level" bass, and New Aten have "serious basshead level" bass. As for the upper mids - I always have been sensitive to that region. Right now DM remind me of TFZ No.3, they both have bright upper mids, but DM have more bass, bigger soundstage and more detailed sound. I also tried to use my DM with gold lower blue upper filters, and the bass on that setup is enormous, way above even New Aten levels. But overall sound becomes very muffled to me. I think I should also mention that when it's enough bass for almost everyone - that's almost never enough for me. All the chi-fi "basshead" IEMs I've tried weren't satisfy me, except one model - TFZ Live X, which often described as "too muddy" or "too boomy".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back