Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 26, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #11,086 of 18,506
I just got the ddHifi eartips st35's and they really work well with the DM.
As for the shrill on some DM, it may be they are not totally burned in yet. You may also want to try gold or green upper filter.
Thanks, I'll try to burn them in. I've got ST35 too, very bassy eartips, but, unfortunately, annoying for me. That pivoting cap is not working with my ears, the only thing that happens to me is that I can't fit my Dark Matter deep enough, because those caps are just folding when I press earphones into the ear canal, and immediately unfolding when I release them. My go-to now is Tanchjim T-APB T300B. Very bassy, very comfortable, yet not too narrow, with classic cap.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #11,087 of 18,506
Rah 23: ootb I need a backup for this one, brutal, visceral bass, full bodied, nicely tuned, planar goodness from the get go, needs burn in but it truly surpasses the og in bass quality. Love the fact that I got a black copy. I think this is a long due dlc planar from Bob in rah shape. I'm loving it. The looks: it's the same shell as the dm without the gold strip. So it looks spartan and raw af. I can attemp to call it the perfect iem for me. Needs burn in to define the bass but so far... Oh man, THIS IS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT
Maybe too early to ask but what about the soundstage/imaging/instrument separation and the highs so far? Anything (too) hot up there? (I'm extremely sensitive to anything harsh etc. between ~4 and 8 kHz)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #11,088 of 18,506
I'm about 12 hours on my Bass Cannon, having listened and left them playing a play list overnight, and now listening again this morning. I emailed Bob to get more info about the driver, it's build and size. There are a few myths floating about around the BC, but from real-time listening, they are very good. Good clarity from the smaller DD (I don't know how many mm the larger driver is). Already the bass is opening up. I compared to the DM for a couple of songs. Early days. The DM has a bit more rumble at the moment but the BC is cleaner and has a slightly more forward mid-range. A great test of bass positioning is Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. On most IEMs particularly the vocals are famous for being quite recessed. The BC holds them further forward than most. It's extremely accurate in bass notes, giving the full width to bass notes. Not the fastest decay of bass notes but very musical for that reason. Drum skins not far from planar reverb and quality. "Bass Cannon" doesn't suit it. It has plenty of bass, but that might give connotations of little else....it has a lot more. It has that IMR signature and I am listening now and enjoying them a lot.
The BC's are opening up and on fast rock tracks like the Tuvan throat rock band, Yat-Kha's Langchyy Boom, it actually is very similar to the Dark Matter. A bit more resonance in the Dark Matter sub-bass, but wider notes in the BC. Both have similar impact. The BC can rock for sure but the bass is not one-dimensional and as Bob say's it's an 'Audiophile' bass, with many different facets and layers.
I still have no idea about the BC driver...... size or finer details of the driver. I did email Bob and hopefully will get a reply. If any of you are close to Bob can you get the full details/specs on the BC's drivers? It just doesn't say anything detailed about the 2023 driver on the IMR Acoustics BC page.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #11,089 of 18,506
Is the Bass Cannon, Original or new one? My new one comes this week. Does it do what it says on the tin. How is the 'Carbon' on it? My 'Carbon' is on the Dark Matter. Amazing 'Quality' bass.
@dharmasteve
Mine is original BC, and the only IMR IEM that I am doing it with Silver nozzle Blue filter after extended burn in.
Out from my 2Max 4.4 couple with Kotori Carbon and comply T600m, the whole audio chain delivers
-Lively and balance analog signature in an old school bass head fashion.
-Bountiful rumble and reverb if the track has it.
-Wonderful midrange and crisp clear treble.

As for DM with its tighter sexy speedier bass (better definition as well) is more of a modern/urban bass head IEM. Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever album (an album of the past but now is one of my favourite) always gives me those goosebumps on some of the tracks and probably the best vocal harmonies.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #11,090 of 18,506
@dharmasteve
Mine is original BC, and the only IMR IEM that I am doing it with Silver nozzle Blue filter after extended burn in.
Out from my 2Max 4.4 couple with Kotori Carbon and comply T600m, the whole audio chain delivers

As for DM with its tighter sexy speedier bass (better definition as well) is more of a modern/urban bass head IEM. Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever album (an album of the past but now is one of my favourite) always gives me those goosebumps on some of the tracks and probably the best vocal harmonies.
When I first ordered the BC last year I thought it would have the older larger driver. I cancelled to use the money elsewhere and reordered a week or so ago. The newer 2023 ADLC drivers may well be more similar to our DM. At first the 2023 sounded totally different to the Dark Matter. But are now similarling out after about 20 hours. I've been using them and burning-in using an overnight playlist.I do like them a lot and will try them with the Kotori Carbon this afternoon. It's a bit weird buying the BC, but not really knowing much about the main driver specs. I'm happy with the sound but not with the lack of info.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #11,091 of 18,506
Wondering if the BC driver is the same as the Zii driver? which [i think] might be 14.5mm ADLC ?

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #11,092 of 18,506
@dharmasteve

Listening now to the 2023 Bass Cannon with the Kotori Carbon Cable. The BC sounds very different with the KCC than the stock cable. Much sweeter, more defined edges to the notes. Happy making sound.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #11,093 of 18,506
Wondering if the BC driver is the same as the Zii driver? which [i think] might be 14.5mm ADLC ?
Please not 14.5mm, otherwise I need to consult a knee doctor…lol

I’ve fondness for dual DD confi. I feel it gives me the most natural tonality in the midrange and beautiful vocal.

When I first ordered the BC last year I thought it would have the older larger driver. I cancelled to use the money elsewhere and reordered a week or so ago. The newer 2023 ADLC drivers may well be more similar to our DM. At first the 2023 sounded totally different to the Dark Matter. But are now similarling out after about 20 hours. I've been using them and burning-in using an overnight playlist.I do like them a lot and will try them with the Kotori Carbon this afternoon. It's a bit weird buying the BC, but not really knowing much about the main driver specs. I'm happy with the sound but not with the lack of info.
My suggestion is avoid doing both on same nozzle, and the reason why my BC is on Silver nozzle and DM on Blue.

Lately, Bob is not responding to several of my email queries on EH delivery.
Honestly, I hope he spend more of his time holding those wires and soldering iron than doing the keyboard.
But he still needs to get those EH out plus that Zion to us poor PITB folks.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #11,094 of 18,506
Jon, the Zenith page says

'The Zenith II features an all new hybrid driver module which we call the PUC drive (Precision Unified Ceramic). The PUC is made up of our Ultra wide band 14.2mm dynamic combined with our all new Piezo ceramic tweeter into a single module'.

It doesn't say ADLC....I have no idea of the driver material.

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #11,095 of 18,506
From what I get from the different descriptions the '23 BC should have the same 6mm ADLC 'conduction engine' (aka standard driver) as the old version but the new 10mm CNT-ADLC driver instead of the 10mm Aten version.
Now if that is true, what would be the difference between the new BC and the DM? A 10 vs.11mm main driver and the addition of the 'new acoustic lens' in the DM? If there's nothing else I guess they could sound pretty similar indeed. Almost reminds me of the Elan <> Na-Le situation.
I'm still wondering if he kept the piezo from the old BC in the new version? Can you see anything in front of the main driver if you take off the nozzle?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #11,096 of 18,506
Jon, the Zenith page says

'The Zenith II features an all new hybrid driver module which we call the PUC drive (Precision Unified Ceramic). The PUC is made up of our Ultra wide band 14.2mm dynamic combined with our all new Piezo ceramic tweeter into a single module'.

It doesn't say ADLC....I have no idea of the driver material.
Im probably getting my wires crossed but saying 'ultra wide band' with the ZII and the BC I wouldn't be surprised if he used the same driver as the ZII - separate from the PUC.? Sometimes larger drivers are used when looking for more low end...but yes would like to know as well :)
Im also wondering if the ADLC is just completely ADLC as opposed to CNT with a ADLC diaphragm / coating ??
Yeah, so basically, in a nutshell . . . I am . . . wondering

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #11,097 of 18,506
Im probably getting my wires crossed but saying 'ultra wide band' with the ZII and the BC I wouldn't be surprised if he used the same driver as the ZII - separate from the PUC.? Sometimes larger drivers are used when looking for more low end...but yes would like to know as well :)
Im also wondering if the ADLC is just completely ADLC as opposed to CNT with a ADLC diaphragm / coating ??
In terms of end product Bob comes up with the goods and also he has a kind heart, but regarding communication and information there is lot to be desired. We all know the best way to be is....honest and the truth does not come out of IMR easily.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #11,098 of 18,506
From my discussion with IMR "The Dark Matter taught us a lot about how we can create bass head monitors while retaining detail, staging and midrange. The BC surpasses what we had previously created and as such now offers not only a larger bass soundscape but we have managed to push the midrange to an even higher level of performance and create a sound that's all enveloping.

The Zion is a more reference class with an elevated (yet controlled) bass response. We added a warmth under all the detail to keep it fun and engaging while keeping all other areas faithful to the recordings."

Not particulars about drive composition to be honest I'm not really bothered what they are made of as long as they sound good.

I've currently got a titanium/magnesium single DD driver in my ears and it sounds sweet.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #11,099 of 18,506
From my discussion with IMR "The Dark Matter taught us a lot about how we can create bass head monitors while retaining detail, staging and midrange. The BC surpasses what we had previously created and as such now offers not only a larger bass soundscape but we have managed to push the midrange to an even higher level of performance and create a sound that's all enveloping.

The Zion is a more reference class with an elevated (yet controlled) bass response. We added a warmth under all the detail to keep it fun and engaging while keeping all other areas faithful to the recordings."

Not particulars about drive composition but to honest I'm not really bothered what they are made of as long as they sound good.

I've currently got a titanium/magnesium single DD driver in my ears and it sounds sweet.
I can vouch the BC sounds good, but I have never know an IEM manufacturer who does not give driver material/size details. It is important to give all the Specs of IEM's. I certainly am bothered about them. It's like eating. I like to know the details if what I am putting in my mouth in this day and age where not everything is as it seems or should be..

Jan 26, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #11,100 of 18,506
Meze don't identify the driver in the Advar so it's not unique to IMR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back