• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #8,162 of 18,530
Also just another thing
I dont have the edp or edp+ but the ace only has one tiny vent? And it looks to b by the dd driver?

Now my avalon has a huge vent but a 10’mm driver and my i3 pro has a bug vent and thats got a 9mm dd and 10mm planar

Im wondering why the small vent on the ace? ( considering this also was suppose to be an open back i would guess yes small vent but its no longer an open back)

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #8,163 of 18,530
Also just another thing
I dont have the edp or edp+ but the ace only has one tiny vent? And it looks to b by the dd driver?

Now my avalon has a huge vent but a 10’mm driver and my i3 pro has a bug vent and thats got a 9mm dd and 10mm planar

Im wondering why the small vent on the ace? ( considering this also was suppose to be an open back i would guess yes small vent but its no longer an open back)

This tiny vent in front of the driver is a part of new design solution for the bunch of last IMRs, for preventing driver flex, IMO.

As for the back side, I think he planned to do a close back and open back, like on description, so the close back should be as “close” as possible without any vents, for the best isolation. It’s a pity that he rejected to do the open backs in the last moment with no information beforehand :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #8,164 of 18,530
This tiny vent in front of the driver is a part of new design solution for the bunch of last IMRs, for preventing driver flex, IMO.

As for the back side, I think he planned to do a close back and open back, like on description, so the close back should be as “close” as possible without any vents, for the best isolation. It’s a pity that he rejected to do the open backs in the last moment with no information beforehand :frowning2:
Oh god yes my avalon left side has driver flex but only noticable when inserting the iem

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #8,169 of 18,530
Getting near 100 hours for the ACE
I was surprised at how much audible difference each filter & filter combo makes to the sound. Some were quite unexpected!
Bass Im happy with the grey filter but [until fully burnt in] ended up with the red upper filter for as natural as possible vocals

I have a particular pressing of 'Nirvana - Nevermind' which somehow sounds a lot 'better' than other pressings. !?
Nevermind was recorded in Sound City Studios - one of the best studios ever created for drums ! - No-one can quite work out how or why but it is! and is the reason so many classic albums were recorded there. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours being another famous example
Anyway, its a great testing album as Teen Spirit and Bloom have a lot going on! drums, screeching guitar and vocals. If an IEM is on top form then each one will have the space in the soundstage to be not only clearly heard but display its own unique sonic characteristics. Anything less than that and it all blends together and although still great is not special.
As you can probably guess, Ive been listening to it with the ACE and I don't think I have ever heard the album sounding SO good.
Drums were so punchy with sublime transients. Maybe its the clarity of the CNT and the warm body of the planar together but whatever it is it sounds spectacular

Just listening to Fleetwood Mac - Rumours now and hearing bits in the mix I have never heard before. Its an interesting IEM. It has so much energy to give with such meat and weight and yet individual parts can be presented so sweetly.
Had a quick A/B with my Semper and errmmm might have to re-look into my filters for it. Would like to bring the mids out more to better utilize the Elec drivers :)
At this point comparing them both together, the ACE clearly has greater over all clarity and more space, as would be expected with the CNT/ADLC and Bone Conduction - low end is on par though so I would conclude how perfectly the planar is tuned and implemented
As OOTB Im still very impressed at how everything is given an equal footing - lows,mids, highs. Nothing is left behind in the mix - everything is clear in its own space simply sounds very very good

I think what's happening is that the Bone Conduction driver is creating more space for individual instruments and vocals and so because the drivers themselves are tuned so well you hear many different and subtle sonic aspects more clearly in their own space. Its very well implemented

100 hours is not much but unlike previous IMR's I am VERY happy with the sound even at this early stage. Usually the IEM isn't sounding good at this point. Really excited to hear them when all drivers have fully settled in. A Bold statement but this may be my favourite IMR ?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #8,170 of 18,530
Getting near 100 hours for the ACE
I was surprised at how much audible difference each filter & filter combo makes to the sound. Some were quite unexpected!
Bass Im happy with the grey filter but [until fully burnt in] ended up with the red upper filter for as natural as possible vocals

I have a particular pressing of 'Nirvana - Nevermind' which somehow sounds a lot 'better' than other pressings. !?
Nevermind was recorded in Sound City Studios - one of the best studios ever created for drums ! - No-one can quite work out how or why but it is! and is the reason so many classic albums were recorded there. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours being another famous example
Anyway, its a great testing album as Teen Spirit and Bloom have a lot going on! drums, screeching guitar and vocals. If an IEM is on top form then each one will have the space in the soundstage to be not only clearly heard but display its own unique sonic characteristics. Anything less than that and it all blends together and although still great is not special.
As you can probably guess, Ive been listening to it with the ACE and I don't think I have ever heard the album sounding SO good.
Drums were so punchy with sublime transients. Maybe its the clarity of the CNT and the warm body of the planar together but whatever it is it sounds spectacular

Just listening to Fleetwood Mac - Rumours now and hearing bits in the mix I have never heard before. Its an interesting IEM. It has so much energy to give with such meat and weight and yet individual parts can be presented so sweetly.
Had a quick A/B with my Semper and errmmm might have to re-look into my filters for it. Would like to bring the mids out more to better utilize the Elec drivers :)
At this point comparing them both together, the ACE clearly has greater over all clarity and more space, as would be expected with the CNT/ADLC and Bone Conduction - low end is on par though so I would conclude how perfectly the planar is tuned and implemented
As OOTB Im still very impressed at how everything is given an equal footing - lows,mids, highs. Nothing is left behind in the mix - everything is clear in its own space simply sounds very very good

100 hours is not much but unlike previous IMR's I am VERY happy with the sound even at this early stage. Usually the IEM isn't sounding good at this point. Really excited to hear them when all drivers have fully settled in. A Bold statement but this may be my favourite IMR ?
Oddly enough trying the grey effected the mids for me
felts like the bass was bloated also
Odd

What tips r u using? Just changed from newbee foams to moondrop sping tips

Might change back to my jvc v1 or v2 tips got both

Also i keep getting confused with the top filter

The blue is the most treble focus
By looking at the density the black is the lightest so should be one below the blue

Im wondering is bob got the treb filters wrong as in the black suppose to be no foam inside?

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #8,171 of 18,530

With my Semper i had a limited time of 50 hours with it and also my EDP OG i had for 30 days, but whilst trying the tuning on the Semper i tried the silver nozzle and it was remarkably like the EDP but i can not recall which filter i used on the silver nozzle on the semper. This matched the EDP on black nozzle and again i can not recall which filter was used on the EDP.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #8,172 of 18,530
Oddly enough trying the grey effected the mids for me
felts like the bass was bloated also
Odd

What tips r u using? Just changed from newbee foams to moondrop sping tips

Might change back to my jvc v1 or v2 tips got both

Also i keep getting confused with the top filter

The blue is the most treble focus
By looking at the density the black is the lightest so should be one below the blue

Im wondering is bob got the treb filters wrong as in the black suppose to be no foam inside?

It was like that a bit yesterday but today after more time on the 'ol burn in its much more balanced with greater clarity
There is no getting away from it though the grey is about as far as I can go without the bass becoming too light. I could do with another filter about halfway between the grey the next one :D
The ACE seems to be a fairly weightly, thick and energetic IEMas well its difficult to sometimes dial in a low end!

I always use the newbee foam tips - but we also using different DAPs / music so . . .

Some of the filters are acting a bit differently than expected for me than in the past but TBH until the IEMs are fully burnt in there is no way of really knowing what is what. Plus the drivers are changing day by day so its kind of pointless to try to get any kind of accurate idea of what the sound characteristic of the ACE are.

Who knows? Today though they acting like absolute champs. Maybe for the next week they will get all shy and gloomy on me for a while ? :)
Until they grow into their adulthood Im grateful for any good behaviour as they go through their 'burn in teens'

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #8,174 of 18,530
With my Semper i had a limited time of 50 hours with it and also my EDP OG i had for 30 days, but whilst trying the tuning on the Semper i tried the silver nozzle and it was remarkably like the EDP but i can not recall which filter i used on the silver nozzle on the semper. This matched the EDP on black nozzle and again i can not recall which filter was used on the EDP.
Interesting in it - You get used to a sound signature and can love it but then you hear something else and suddenly uh oh :)
Its good though, fun trying to tease out different characteristics from an IEM

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #8,175 of 18,530
So how drivable are the Aces? Can you drive them with a dongle/phone or do you need a high-powered DAP?
playing now with iPhone 7 and I cant go above 50% as its deafening.
Planars like a good amount of power to give you all they can do. So no problem with 'volume' but they do sound quite flat out of the iPhone. (line out adapter)
I like the sound of iPhones but they are tuned to be kinda safe...warm and easy to listen though. Ive done studio work and checked on an iPhone and it sounded great - Then listened again on something else and . . . yeah. . . more work to do!!
The difference in quality though is mindblowing comparing iPhone 7 to a Sony Flagship NW-WM1A 4.4mm Balanced...as it should be though to be fair.

edit: 'Need' is relative. if someone is just a music listener then maybe their needs can be conservative but if you are an Audiophile or someone who enjoys accuracy and true to life sound or enjoys listening more to the timbre of instruments etc etc then yes you do need to [search for and eventually] settle on a DAP or sound system that presents the music in a way that suits what you are wishing for in your listening experience.
Its taken me years of listening to different IEMs / Headphones, DAPS to finally end up with my personal end game DAP - the Sony and even then I had to find a custom tuned firmware :)
I have zero desire to look for another DAP now - which is very rare -

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back