Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 31, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #8,177 of 18,204
I must say, I agree with you, to me they are the best IMR I have heard. That analogue sound is very well delivered.
I cant say yet 100% that they will be the 'technically' best yet but certainly up there at the very top as most enjoyable

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #8,178 of 18,204
A Bold statement but this may be my favourite IMR ?

I must say, I agree with you, to me they are the best IMR I have heard. That analogue sound is very well delivered.

Have to love new toy syndrome lol. I sense the Elan+ is going to be magical and the logical antithesis to the EDP ACE.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #8,180 of 18,204
I always use the newbee foam tips - but we also using different DAPs / music so . . .

Some of the filters are acting a bit differently than expected for me than in the past but TBH until the IEMs are fully burnt in there is no way of really knowing what is what. Plus the drivers are changing day by day so its kind of pointless to try to get any kind of accurate idea of what the sound characteristic of the ACE are.
I'm getting pretty excited about the arrival of my Ace. It left HWDC last Thursday and historically speaking its about 7 to 10 days till delivered Vancouver from that point so I'm hopeful to have them for Friday. Give the Ace a try with some silicones - Azla Sednas, Xelastecs or Crystals if you have them. I love the Tennmak / Newbee foams ( I think they're the same tip under different branding) but on my UM MEXT which also features Bone Conduction, the foam absorbs some of the vibration. The Azlas allow for a fuller transfer not just to the outer bone which transfers through the shell but into the canal through the nozzle as well. It is noticeable. Try slapping a pair of wide bore silicones on there.

We've been tracking each other for a while now, and based on what you're writing at the 100 hour mark, has me believing that with the ACE, I may be clearing out a few more IEMs from my collection as I continue to pare down. Really excited to hear how they sound at the 300 hour mark; every planar I've owned, bar none, have continued improving through that milestone.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #8,181 of 18,204
playing now with iPhone 7 and I cant go above 50% as its deafening.
Planars like a good amount of power to give you all they can do. So no problem with 'volume' but they do sound quite flat out of the iPhone. (line out adapter)
I like the sound of iPhones but they are tuned to be kinda safe...warm and easy to listen though. Ive done studio work and checked on an iPhone and it sounded great - Then listened again on something else and . . . yeah. . . more work to do!!
The difference in quality though is mindblowing comparing iPhone 7 to a Sony Flagship NW-WM1A 4.4mm Balanced...as it should be though to be fair.

edit: 'Need' is relative. if someone is just a music listener then maybe their needs can be conservative but if you are an Audiophile or someone who enjoys accuracy and true to life sound or enjoys listening more to the timbre of instruments etc etc then yes you do need to [search for and eventually] settle on a DAP or sound system that presents the music in a way that suits what you are wishing for in your listening experience.
Its taken me years of listening to different IEMs / Headphones, DAPS to finally end up with my personal end game DAP - the Sony and even then I had to find a custom tuned firmware :)
I have zero desire to look for another DAP now - which is very rare -
@jon parker I've just bought the Sony NW-MW1A after reading your regular eulogies about it's sound quality, is the firmware you used the Mr Walkman firmware? I was close to pulling the trigger on a Shanling M9 (I have a Shanling M6pro 21) and saw a The Sony for literally a third of the cost so jumped on it.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #8,182 of 18,204
@jon parker I've just bought the Sony NW-MW1A after reading your regular eulogies about it's sound quality, is the firmware you used the Mr Walkman firmware? I was close to pulling the trigger on a Shanling M9 (I have a Shanling M6pro 21) and saw a The Sony for literally a third of the cost so jumped on it.
Oh wow :)
No - its the 'Mars' firmware !!
I didn't think much of Mr Walkmans TBH
I'll dig it out and send it to you

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #8,183 of 18,204
Oh wow :)
No - its the 'Mars' firmware !!
I didn't think much of Mr Walkmans TBH
I'll dig it out and send it to you
Great thanks have the Mr Walkman on my Nw-a55

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #8,184 of 18,204
Great thanks have the Mr Walkman on my Nw-a55
I haven't tried the latest MrWalkmans
Annoyingly I cant find the files that I had downloaded OR the originals :/
Best mods i found by far were by whitigir but no hard I search on the web I cant find them anywhere :frowning2: - mods by whitigir
Using one called Mars T2 - with either J or Mcx region change
Region change unlocks EU volume cap limit. Anyway you can definitely find the sound signature you want. I remember not being impressed by the stock firmware!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #8,185 of 18,204
I haven't tried the latest MrWalkmans
Annoyingly I cant find the files that I had downloaded OR the originals :/
Best mods i found by far were by whitigir but no hard I search on the web I cant find them anywhere :frowning2: - mods by whitigir
Using one called Mars T2 - with either J or Mcx region change
Region change unlocks EU volume cap limit. Anyway you can definitely find the sound signature you want. I remember not being impressed by the stock firmware!
I'll do a good search when I get back to UK on the 10th excited to play I have the sony zx-507 but it's android and capped as well as the a55

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #8,186 of 18,204
What happened to EDP price on the site?

1659364664790.png

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #8,187 of 18,204
Aug 1, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #8,189 of 18,204
Maybe he has som left and want to put them on sale. Old price was too low😎

Hope not mine, status is still the same. Sorry, we‘re currently……….bla bla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back