Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #7,216 of 18,128
The sharpness and bite is still there with a number of the [lesser normally used!] upper filters but now with the Grey lower and blue upper it tames the sharpness just enough whilst leaving the fresh clean-ness of the uppers
i am blown away by the 3D holographic around the head - behind the ears staging now - magical
Im still a little surprised there is not a faster low end but I suspect this is a result of Bob using the 'biggest motors yet giving the greatest pistonic action of an IMR to date'.
This was a choice I was always very curious about in relation to the super rigid and hard ADLC.
Seems to give a unique sound that's for sure :)
Loving it

PS Did you know that [essentially] Radiohead has released a new record?!!
The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention - (The song in this article is not like the rest of the album but still...)
Its clearly a Thom Yorke driven sound but...:D
I only found out by accident

The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

Will find 'The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention'. What I find interesting is how the 6mm driver in the DM is...allegedly contacting the body of the shell and causes a certain resonance/vibration/rumble in the sub-bass/bass which I find very realistic and reminds me of the times I was by speakers in the Purcell Rooms, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Roundhouse etc, etc, etc. Although in the DM it's not a pure bodily vibration, it is a head/heart/mind vibration, which I find very appealing and effective in its effect. Very holographic now too.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #7,217 of 18,128
The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention

Will find 'The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention'. What I find interesting is how the 6mm driver is...allegedly contacting the body of the shell and causes a certain resonance/vibration/rumble in the sub-bass/bass which I find very realistic and reminds me of the times I was by speakers in the Purcell Rooms, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Roundhouse etc, etc, etc. Although not a pure bodily vibration, it is a head/heart/mind vibration, which I find very appealing and effective in its effect. Very holographic now too.
Thin thing - kind of addictive piece. Really nice album that for me is a heritage of Radiohead.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #7,218 of 18,128
Decided to take a listen to my DMs yesterday with my newly acquired Chord Mojo 2. Only 100+ hours of burn-in so far, still on black/black, but interested to see where they were. Played the third movement of Beethoven's Eroica (Francois-Xavier Roth, Les Siecles) and was completely blown away. The power in the low strings was exhilarating, just drove the piece forward and took me with it. One of those magical moments that make this such a fantastic hobby. Can't wait to reach 400 hours to experiment with the filters. Have to say I am enjoying the Mojo 2. Currently in the UK, so much cheaper than it would have been in the US, even allowing for the VAT.

Jun 25, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #7,219 of 18,128
I've been trying a pair of Hifiman Edition XS Headphones, widely regarded as one of the best headphones you can get for $500. Driven from my Mojo 2 which has plenty of power, I played my sub-bass test track, Moon Light On Spring River, on Sound Of China. At 54 seconds in, there is a powerful very low repeated note. I can hear it on all my IMR IEMs, but on the Hifiman there was just a faint ticking sound. Just to make sure it wasn't the Mojo 2 I put my SOGs in place of the Hifiman and there was the note, solid, musical and loud. Once again if there were any doubt about the value in IMR IEMs, especially the $200 SOGs, this just confirms it. Hifimans going straight back to Amazon!!

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #7,220 of 18,128
Thanks to @AlexCBSN for mentioning the prototype 14mm Aten ceramic driver + 2 x 6mm cnt adlc a while back. Managed to snag the last one of the 2 Bob made.
You’ll love it, its such a beast, theres certain lushness in the mids and some impressive bass going on in it.
Got the DM in my ear today. Red lower Blue upper, Moondrop Spring L tips, XINHS graphene cable....hmm, the sound will need burn in to evolve properly I think, right now it's too bassy and treble is too muted, just as I found Elan. However, it changed with burn in, so let's hope this will too.
how are you liking the DM comparing it to the FAudio dark sky?

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #7,221 of 18,128
how come you use a zx300 when you have an l&p p6 pro?

There's this thing around here that they call synergy. I simply prefer how the Avalon sounds coming out of the zx300. MrWalkman's custom firmware for the zx300 really transforms it providing different sound profiles and other features taken from Sony's higher dap models. The P6pro sound wise is truly amazing (especially with the DM) but the user interface and software on it isn't that great.

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #7,222 of 18,128
There's this thing around here that they call synergy. I simply prefer how the Avalon sounds coming out of the zx300. MrWalkman's custom firmware for the zx300 really transforms it providing different sound profiles and other features taken from Sony's higher dap models. The P6pro sound wise is truly amazing (especially with the DM) but the user interface and software on it isn't that great.
very interesting.. I was contemplating getting a maxed-out modded wm1a in the past, might pull the trigger in the future :)

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #7,223 of 18,128
very interesting.. I was contemplating getting a maxed-out modded wm1a in the past, might pull the trigger in the future :)

If you don't need streaming (ie. Tidal, Pandora, etc) I'd highly recommend the zx300. I've seen some second hand units go for around $250. The user interface is fast and intuitive and my favorite part, 20hr flac playtime which is a lot considering the size of the dap. Although the output power is only around 200mW (balanced) I think it's plenty enough for just about most iem. Also has tone controls and eq if you're into that that.

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #7,224 of 18,128
If you don't need streaming (ie. Tidal, Pandora, etc) I'd highly recommend the zx300. I've seen some second hand units go for around $250. The user interface is fast and intuitive and my favorite part, 20hr flac playtime which is a lot considering the size of the dap. Although the output power is only around 200mW (balanced) I think it's plenty enough for just about most iem. Also has tone controls and eq if you're into that that.
I'll look into it, I need to see how those daps compare to something like the cayin n6ii r01, I've it right now and my concern is that they'll be too soft sounding like the r01. I've sent my r2r2000 black for mods and definitely miss it a lot.

Kinda got off topic haha :)

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #7,226 of 18,128
Hi all, I am on my third day of burning in my DM, for DM owner do you guys take break between burn in or leave it for 2 weeks of continuous burn? i am using cascade burn in audio track for it.
I'll do a 30 to 60 minute break every 12 hours or so.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #7,228 of 18,128
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #7,229 of 18,128
how are you liking the DM comparing it to the FAudio dark sky?
Different presentaitons...Dark Sky has distinctly more transparency and details, while stage width I believe is quite similar between them. Different approach, Dark Sky has quite punchy and full bodied low end, but not as much in quantity as Dark Matter, in which the low end invades into the midrange and eats up some transparency. Dark Matter has a much more smooth approach to sound whereas Dark Sky is about producing details while keeping musicality intact.

Note: My Dark Matter has just about 40 hours of burn in. Let's see how does it evolve with burn in...400+ hours will take quite, and I mean quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back